Bachmann Class 08 worm

Ruston

As  general rule you can only remove a worm from a Bachmann loco by either a) destroying the worm by splitting it or sawing or grinding enough away to reveal the armature shaft and then splitting it or b) destroying the motor by heating the worm until it comes loose on the armature, The heat will kill the motor.   Probably easier to buy a new motor with worm, or indeed a new 08, or maybe an old Wrenn one which takes Romford/Markits worm gear sets and will last 50 years. Yes I have many a scrap Bachmann mech in my scrap drawer..

• RMweb Premium

When the motor in my fairly new Bachmann 08 failed (a few years back now) I found the worm quite easy to remove and put on a spare Mashima 1833 I had lying around. The bore is 2mm so was an easy fit the Mashima also being about the same size as the Bachmann motor. I also transferred the flywheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I hadn't noticed any replies to this. It's sorted now. I replaced the motor with a smaller one, and a nylon worm. It runs even better than it did before and by getting rid of the huge motor I was able to fit DCC sound into the loco.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/02/2021 at 10:10, Ruston said:

Sorry, I hadn't noticed any replies to this. It's sorted now. I replaced the motor with a smaller one, and a nylon worm. It runs even better than it did before and by getting rid of the huge motor I was able to fit DCC sound into the loco.

@Ruston

I may be looking at replacing a Bachmann 08 motor. Could you share the details for the smaller motor you used please?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 10:10, Ruston said:

I too would like to replace the motor/worm combination in the 08s I have because there isn't enough room inside the body for a battery and Rx pcb. To do this I need the details of the worm so a replacement will mesh with the current gears. I would be most grateful if that info could be published here.