Magazines and Books free to good homes

SamC

Hi All

I've got a load of books and magazines I inherited from my Father (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/profile/742-edcayton/)

They're not really worth anything I don't think but if you or someone you know feel you might get something out of it, please let me know. If you're local we can arrange collection or happy to post (at recipients expense,obviously).

I've got lots of them so this is just a snippet, if you think there's a particular year of magazine or a specific book I might have, happy to have a look, just message me.

20210117_123019.jpg

20210117_123031.jpg

20210117_123046.jpg

20210117_123128.jpg

20210117_123139.jpg

20210117_123151.jpg

20210130_105545.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi All. Thank you for your interest so far. I'll go through your messages shortly to try and figure out what I've got! 

There has been no interest in all the magazines (Railway Modeller and similar) - is it fair to say these are worth just getting rid off, sadly? 

9 minutes ago, SamC said:

Hi All. Thank you for your interest so far. I'll go through your messages shortly to try and figure out what I've got! 

There has been no interest in all the magazines (Railway Modeller and similar) - is it fair to say these are worth just getting rid off, sadly? 

I am selling a lot of old railway and model railway magazines on ebay and it's very slow and tedious - two or three a week go and it's really not worth the bother of listing them.  Books are even slower to shift.

There are a couple of preservation societies that would normally take them.  To name two, I donated some to North Norfolk Railway shop at Weybourne, and the Bluebell Railway at Horsted Keynes sells them from a couple of BGs to help preservation.  However the virus situation may well mean that they can't accept them until we've all had our jabs.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, SamC said:

I'm sure it will be appreciated If you put together a simple list or spreadsheet, like many others on here I have lots of books for reference but I do have some gaps.  The Middleton press books will be popular, and in the box I can see a few that might interest some.

A simple list pasted into a reply which you can then edit as things go should be easier for you. 

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, WayneKennerley said:

Do any of the books cover Wales or Africa please, Or anything covering modelling? What weight would the modelling magazines be please? Thanks Wayne

Aren't Wales & Africa the same place?

:D

• Funny 4

Okay so I've clearly unleashed Pandora's Express (train pun? Is this funny? I don't really understand trains or even know if there is such a thing as train humour...)

Thank you for all your interest. I'll start going through the collection and put together a spreadsheet of what I've got. I'll also try and line this up with specific requests from yourselves and see if I can find things that match.

I'm going to need a lot of fuel to get through all of this (fuel as in steam trains need coal so this is sort of a train joke too? no? I'll stop. Sorry).

Thanks

Sam

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 01/02/2021 at 09:15, SamC said:

Okay so I've clearly unleashed Pandora's Express (train pun? Is this funny? I don't really understand trains or even know if there is such a thing as train humour...)

Thank you for all your interest. I'll start going through the collection and put together a spreadsheet of what I've got. I'll also try and line this up with specific requests from yourselves and see if I can find things that match.

I'm going to need a lot of fuel to get through all of this (fuel as in steam trains need coal so this is sort of a train joke too? no? I'll stop. Sorry).

Thanks

Sam

First condolences on your loss.   

Some of those books are sought after, the Great Western Stations Vol 3 for instance there are two used on Amazon for £40 and £100 (a ton) 

I doubt the small books Branch line to... are worth more than £3-£5 and the Post 1990 mags are worth about 25p each,  Pre 1990 model and pre 1968  Railway Magazines are worth more, especially the boxed sets but postage is steep over 2KG.

My wife's father is de cluttering at present, he can no longer get in the loft so we are sorting junk and selling it on eBay, checking what similar stuff has bids on for and pricing accordingly, we made several hundred quid from stuff he wanted to chuck away.  I'm not saying don't give stuff away, just be aware of the value.   I quite fancy the loose 1950s mags myself...

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also offer my condolences and would also echo the above comment about at least some of these books being worth selling.  

If that is too time consuming then perhaps an alternative might be donating them to a charity shop or a preserved railway, when they are open again, so that they can benefit from selling them on.  

Maybe a further alternative would be to offer them free on here in return for a donation to a charity of your choice, although that might not be permitted on here, as maybe too close to “selling”?

I would also be interested in a list of them, if that is the way you choose to go though!

• Agree 3

Hi All

Just a quick update.

I'm still working my way through the collection so will share the spreadsheet once completed (not halfway through yet! There are SO many).

Magazine collections I have found so far;

British Railway Modelling Magazine

Railway Modeller

Railway World

The Railway Magazine

Model Rail

Modern Railways

Continental Modeller

Trains Illustrated

BackTrack

Steam World

Today's Railways

I haven't got as far as the books yet, but I will.

Thank-you all for your updates and advice so far. I am still on it but i just want to let you know it isn't a quick task in-between daily life!

Sam

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I've finished the magazines! There were SO many it was genuinely unbelievable. I did not know there were this many different publishings of Railway magazines!! Apologies for the huge delay!

Things to note:

• There are 'normal' train magazines as well as model railway magazines in here.
  • If a magazine is not very common/there aren't many copies, I've put it on the Miscellaneous tab
  • Yes, there are multiple copies of random magazines.
  • No, I have no idea why.
  • Ignore the index number in the first column, that is literally so I can have a chance of finding them in the mountains of boxes

If you're really interested in some magazines, please message me with which magazines, with the months/years you would like.

Postage: I'll use a postage calculator to figure out the amount for postage and once received the amount in PayPal or bank transfer (whatever is easiest) I will send the magazines out

Books

I am now going to start organising books which seems like the more important/wanted items.

Railway Magazines.xlsx

• Thanks 4