Is there anyone out there who likes exhibiting and likes a drink or two in the pub?

TEAMYAKIMA

OK, that got your interest!

I have a large (26ft x 10ft) Chinese HO layout and I am always looking to expand my exhibition operating team. I do have an exhibition team, but as mine is a very niche interest I have tended to recruit people interested in Chinese railways wherever they live rather than people who live 'a mile or two down the road'.

As a result, whereas I live in Watford, my operating team lives in places like Coventry, Croydon, Northampton, Alton, Basinstoke etc. You can see therefore that taking the layout to a show soon becomes very expensive. An exhibition manager would presume that my team of six would arrive in one van and one car all from the Watford area, but that isn't possible.

So, I am interested in meeting/talking to anyone who................

1.Likes exhibiting/operating model railways

2. Enjoys a laugh and a joke over a few pints on the Saturday night of an exhibition weekend

3. Lives close to Watford - or TBH anywhere in the UK, as we exhibit all over the place

4. Likes Chinese railways (Optional!)

Does this sound like YOU?

If so please send me a PM and this is a video taken at the layout's last outing at Warley 2019.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just returning to this thread to see if there is anyone 'new' who hasn't seen it before and maybe wants to contact me.

I've had a few offers so far but unfortunately the amount of travel involved has always been a problem.

I/we wouldn't throw anyone new in at the deep end - suggest a social meet up in a pub (whenever that's possible) and see if we all jell together before we start thinking about operating the layout.

I'm buying the first round - anyone interested?

• 7 months later...

Hi TeamAkima, I am not too far from Watford (Tring) and I have an interest in Soviet railways (СЖД) in the 'Great Patriotic War' period. This gives me the excuse to run many different nations trains and I have 3D designed and printed some Soviet wagon designs. I model in Nscale albeit not fantastically successfully! I also tinker with DCC on my layout as I am a bit of a geek with electronic stuff and software.

I think I have seen your Chinese layout at an exhibition and was very impressed by the size and activity of the trains.

The only bit of Chinese railways I have encountered was the Hong Kong - Lo Wu (British) section of the KCR in 1980. A day trip across the 'border' to Shenzhen where the guide showed a hydro-electric scheme for Hong Kong. A trip to the local park was by the line to Hong Kong and a freight train passed by with armed guards sitting on the roofs of the cars. There were quite a few Chinarail stock wagons at the Kowloonside abbatoir and a daily train from the old Kowloon terminal. The KCR used American style hood units and basic coaches of a distinctly non-British design. At that time, there was a daily Chinarail train hauled by (I think) a DF diesel to Guangzhou (Canton).

As for your pint invite, I cannot drink alchohol these days but a chat might be nice. I'm not sure what I could 'bring to the table' as I am a carer and my trips away from home are somewhat limited.

Best wishes, Tony

Edited by apemberton
Forgot some info!

Hello Tony

Apologies for not getting back sooner.  The main problem is that I don't drive and TBH I/we are looking for someone to join the operating team who can drive the van and lives closer than our current driver who lives in Croydon. But I will send you a PM.

By for now

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 6 months later...
  • TEAMYAKIMA changed the title to Is there anyone out there who likes exhibiting and likes a drink or two in the pub?

I thought I would post the latest video of my layout - quite a few changes since the one taken at Warley in 2019!

My regular operating team is now six people, spread between Croydon and Coventry and the layout needs a team of six (or ideally seven) for every show - consequently I am very keen to expand the pool of potential operators as that will give us much more flexibility.

You don't have to live near Watford (but that would be very helpful) - you just have to like exhibiting and enjoying the company of fellow enthusiasts - usually in a pub!

If you like the idea of joining us as we travel up and down the country (as and when convenient to you) then please so PM me. 

Our next show is Bristol in two weeks (April 29th - May 1st) and there are one or maybe two vacancies - there is a hotel room available on Friday and Saturday for one person. 

So, please look at this new video and see what you think.

• 1 month later...
On 13/04/2022 at 13:18, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I thought I would post the latest video of my layout - quite a few changes since the one taken at Warley in 2019!

My regular operating team is now six people, spread between Croydon and Coventry and the layout needs a team of six (or ideally seven) for every show - consequently I am very keen to expand the pool of potential operators as that will give us much more flexibility.

You don't have to live near Watford (but that would be very helpful) - you just have to like exhibiting and enjoying the company of fellow enthusiasts - usually in a pub!

If you like the idea of joining us as we travel up and down the country (as and when convenient to you) then please so PM me. 

Our next show is Bristol in two weeks (April 29th - May 1st) and there are one or maybe two vacancies - there is a hotel room available on Friday and Saturday for one person. 

So, please look at this new video and see what you think.

TBH I've been a bit surprised/disappointed that I've had absolutely no takers in my search for extra team members to help operate my Chinese HO layout as we take the layout around the country in the next few years - other than from someone in Australia saying that he would consider it if I paid his air fare! 

I would totally understand the lack of offers if I had made my appeal in the GWR sub-forum, but this is the section devoted to overseas modelling and so I was hoping for someone living a bit closer to home than Sydney.

I have to accept that my layout is an expensive one for exhibition managers with a minimum team of six operators needed and so my plan for 'long-distance' exhibitions from now on is to take a core team of four from Watford/London and hoping to recruit two 'local' operators. To that end, I have put great emphasis on making the layout simpler/easier to operate so that 'newbies' can be up and (literally) running in 5 minutes and we have re-arranged rotas so operators get more (and longer) breaks.

So, guys - how about it?  The layout is easier to operate, the shifts are shorter and I haven't even mentioned the fact that the first round in the pub is down to me!

May I very respectfully suggest the lack of volunteers is because  your layout theme is very of the wall.

I have watched it develop over the almost ten years it has taken to build. I have been building my own large layout over the same ten years. Mine is due to hit the exhibition scene next year and at 30ft x 12ft requires a eight man team. My layout is based on present day rail operations in Austria on a alpine main line. Please don't think I gloat when I say I have the opposite problem, I am well over subscribed with volunteers my Membership of the Austrian railway group has given me a window through there journal to regularly inform members on developments over the years, this has naturally created a solid pool of like minded individuals to call on.

I personally don't have any reservations about having large layouts at exhibitions and there cost to the organisers, there are plenty already out there which have gone down well with the visiting public, Organisers are very aware of the fact they need to create a varied selection for the event to go down well. To many shunting planks arriving in car boots is value for money but without the pull of large layouts doesn't create in my view a balanced or very exciting event.  Your layout has already been on show at large events including Warley which is where I saw it. What you and the team have created is a solid well detailed model railway of which you should be very proud of. 

In general I find the british railway modellers very narrow minded when it comes to anything railway related that isn't on our tiny island. There is a vast  world of railways out there which your layout seeks to proove. finding operators may be difficult but good on you for putting something refreshingly different out there.

I wish you well.

Craig.  

• Agree 1

I'm of the opposite view - I'll operate anything!

Whilst I can't help out with the driving, subject to availability I'd be up for doing shows within reach of Reading by public transport (Basingstoke, Wycombe and Southampton spring to mind immediately) but I could be up for going further - I've operated at shows as far afield as Ashford and Romford in the past.

Though note that I can only do Saturdays.

2 hours ago, duff man said:

May I very respectfully suggest the lack of volunteers is because  your layout theme is very of the wall.

I have watched it develop over the almost ten years it has taken to build. I have been building my own large layout over the same ten years. Mine is due to hit the exhibition scene next year and at 30ft x 12ft requires a eight man team. My layout is based on present day rail operations in Austria on a alpine main line. Please don't think I gloat when I say I have the opposite problem, I am well over subscribed with volunteers my Membership of the Austrian railway group has given me a window through there journal to regularly inform members on developments over the years, this has naturally created a solid pool of like minded individuals to call on.

I personally don't have any reservations about having large layouts at exhibitions and there cost to the organisers, there are plenty already out there which have gone down well with the visiting public, Organisers are very aware of the fact they need to create a varied selection for the event to go down well. To many shunting planks arriving in car boots is value for money but without the pull of large layouts doesn't create in my view a balanced or very exciting event.  Your layout has already been on show at large events including Warley which is where I saw it. What you and the team have created is a solid well detailed model railway of which you should be very proud of. 

In general I find the british railway modellers very narrow minded when it comes to anything railway related that isn't on our tiny island. There is a vast  world of railways out there which your layout seeks to proove. finding operators may be difficult but good on you for putting something refreshingly different out there.

I wish you well.

Craig.  

Craig 

Yes, I agree with just about every word you've written. 

Paul

Whilst not resolving any driving issues it ought to be possible to ask any exhibition manager seeking to invite the layout to provide one of the ‘home team’ to help operate it. A practice used in my experience of large layouts at shows. 

Much more important to let the layout raise its own profile and potentially attract an ever greater pool  of interest.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor

1 hour ago, BR traction instructor said:

Whilst not resolving any driving issues it ought to be possible to ask any exhibition manager seeking to invite the layout to provide one of the ‘home team’ to help operate it. A practice used in my experience of large layouts at shows. 

Much more important to let the layout raise its own profile and potentially attract an ever greater pool  of interest.

Yes, in theory I do agree with you and to that end I have been concentrating on making operation simpler and hence easier for newbies to be up to speed ASAP without long training sessions and supervision. However, experience has shown, in the past, that promised help has not always turned up on the day. Many clubs/organisations are already strapped for helpers and promised helpers have often been unavailable because on the day something more important has taken priority over helping us.

With a strict policy of 'one hour on, one hour off ' in order to make operation more relaxing for the team, three operators at any given time is the best we can expect at a show from my standard team of six, but an optional extra operator or two 'on the day' would enhance the viewer experience. 

In other words, I think we need to have a standard team of six which might be a core team of four regulars plus two guest operators which I have arranged in advance and then any ad hoc 'locals' the organising club can find on the day would be a nice bonus.

The reason for the layout, its theme if you like, is my many trips to China to photograph steam locos in action in the 21st century and so my interest stems from that - attractive trains in scenes which are quite different from what the viewer is used to.

There is some 'operation' on the industrial railway at the back of the layout - all up-hill trains stop, have two bankers attached and then storm off up a 1/30 incline to a steel works off-site. The bankers drop back down and wait by two water columns. Down-hill trains simply run through.

As regards the three main line tracks - yes, at present it is basically just a series of attractive/unusual/unique/interesting trains running through attractive/unusual/unique/interesting scenery. We try maximise the variety of trains, but sometimes in the past we have had to 'tail-chase' due to operational issues - hopefully that is a thing of the past now. 

I would like to add some more 'complex' moves to the operation, but complex moves require more concentration from the operators which in turn leaves them more drained, more tired and thereby needing more and longer breaks.

In the past, we have lived by the motto 'Keep it simple, stupid!' hopefully with new operational protocols in place we might try these more complex moves, but keeping the operating team relaxed and happy is now my 100% priority. 

50 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

Would you describe yourselves as seeking more to simply run/circulate a variety of Chinese outline consists, or having studied some of the rules/regulations of the Chinese railway system, seek to progressively build on replicating their particular operating characteristics

Apologies, my post 17 minutes ago was supposed to be a reply to your question.

At the recent Aly Paly show, two of my team wandered around and came back and said that virtually every continuous run layout was being run 'simply' ie without complex moves. Complex moves are nice at home to show your friends, but can become repetitive, boring, tiresome for the operators if you have to repeat them endlessly during a long exhibition day. I/we will have to find a happy middle ground. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Really? The last thing I wanted as a layout owner taking a model to a show was someone new trying to learn the layout during the day.

I'm also inclinded to think that anyone "on the A Team" is likely to be otheriwse employed during the day and the person who can be spared, is the one they don't trust to do the proper jobs. Worse, the sort of person who is really enthusiastic to get their paws on the controller is likely to be the very person you don't want to be within a mile of it, and I'm speaking from experience! That's not to say I'm preious about it, but as an exhibitor, I want to put on the best show for the public. Later in the day is the time for the odd guest operator, but not during busy times.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

38 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Really? The last thing I wanted as a layout owner taking a model to a show was someone new trying to learn the layout during the day.

I'm also inclinded to think that anyone "on the A Team" is likely to be otheriwse employed during the day and the person who can be spared, is the one they don't trust to do the proper jobs. Worse, the sort of person who is really enthusiastic to get their paws on the controller is likely to be the very person you don't want to be within a mile of it, and I'm speaking from experience! That's not to say I'm preious about it, but as an exhibitor, I want to put on the best show for the public. Later in the day is the time for the odd guest operator, but not during busy times.

Phil

Whilst you were not replying directly to me, I felt I should comment.

Yes, I understand exactly where you're coming from, but I don't think it's totally black and white.

At Glasgow, for example, we turned down having two new (local)  operators on day 1 (of 3) on the basis that training up one newbie would be a big enough distraction for the first day and so we got newbie #1 up and running on day 1, then took on newbie #2 on day #2.

On another occasion, an exhibition manager finally found us a guest operator mid afternoon and as he would only be available for a few hours we turned him down because we felt it was too big a distraction for the operator who would have to train him up.

But since that experience (relying on newbies when we were 400 miles from home) I have put a lot of effort on making operation simpler so that the training period is now far shorter and TBH now it should be a ten minute job and if a guest operator arrives before opening it should be an easy job to fit him in.

So, keeping it simple greatly aids the process of using guest operators.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1