Is there anyone out there who likes exhibiting and likes a drink or two in the pub?

TEAMYAKIMA

• Administrators

You are still relying on the exhibition manager to find you a team. When I've run shows, I expected the layouts to staff themselves as our club members were all occupied running the show. Maybe there are clubs with loads of people hanging around, but that's going to vary. I'd also expect to know well in advance so the operators don't end up on the rota.

Operators coming from around the country isn't unheard of, and for a layout of your size, 6 isn't out of the question.

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You are still relying on the exhibition manager to find you a team.

Phil

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you. All the points you make are valid and true. In the case of Glasgow, it was a 100% unforeseen emergency situation - one of our team from Watford never showed up and we have never heard from him since (we assume he's died) and as he was the designated van driver (and van booker) we were thrown into a nightmare with absolutely no notice and so an emergency operator was an absolute must.

And, yes, you read that correctly. We had absolutely no notice whatsoever that our van driver had completely disappeared off the face of the earth - replacement van and van driver sought at 2pm on the Thursday - ended up leaving for Glasgow at 8.30pm on the Thursday  arriving at pre-booked Carlisle hotel at 2.45am on the Friday and not at 7.30pm on the Thursday as planned.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

First choice has to be a complete and cohesive team of well trained operators.

There are however roles within some teams that don’t require such a demanding skill set, these could be an opportunity to slot in a willing pair of hands, if available.

Some exhibitions are arranged by clubs with a healthy supply of members willing to get involved.

Worst case scenario has to be an appealing and unusual layout such as is suggested here that can’t go to exhibitions due to being a man down.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor

18 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

There are however roles within some teams that don’t require such a demanding skill set, these could be an opportunity to slot in a willing pair of hands, if available.

In our case that would include fetching four teas & coffees on an hourly basis! 😀

Speaking generally here, and not drawing any conclusions about the layout in question, I think a lot can come down to the design of the layout. And by that, I don't just mean the complexity of the track plan/the control panel.

On at least one layout which I have helped operate in the past, my "introduction" was to operate the fiddle yard - a fairly simple operation of lining up the required road on a train turntable, and periodically rotating it through 180 degrees. Similarly on another layout I used to operate, I started out by operating a cassette fiddle yard. I was gradually introduced to other elements of the layout during quieter moments of the show.

A layout can also be designed in such a way that a 'basic' sequence can be operated (perhaps by the 'apprentice' operator while the regular operators are at lunch). So, for example, a goods train would just pass by on the main line, rather than shunting the goods yard, or multiple units/auto trains shuttle in and out of a terminus instead of loco hauled trains to avoid running round/engine changes.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

In our case that would include fetching four teas & coffees on an hourly basis! 😀

I volunteered to be teaboy on the Saturday at Bristol but you never got back to me ! 😋

31 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I volunteered to be teaboy on the Saturday at Bristol but you never got back to me ! 😋

I hold my head in shame. I have just found the PM you sent me. 

My only defence is that you said that you already had a ticket and I could call you on the day if needed. After your kind offer I did receive an offer of a full two day operator and so we were up to a full team. 

My apologies for not getting back to you. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I hold my head in shame. I have just found the PM you sent me. 

My only defence is that you said that you already had a ticket and I could call you on the day if needed. After your kind offer I did receive an offer of a full two day operator and so we were up to a full team. 

My apologies for not getting back to you. 

No it was fine ! I wandered past at one point but you were stood chinwagging to what I assume was one of the guest operators and all seamed calm and serene so I carried on and enjoyed what was a good show 👌

I live in Scotland so shout out if you end up at Glasgow again and need a hand 

Just my thoughts as the guest operator in Glasgow. The only time I have ever operated at an exhibition before was with my own layout nearly 18 years ago.

I did find running Paul’s layout quite straightforward, as I use DCC and Route Setting so once I had learned how to select a route and select the relevant loco on his system we were away. The crib sheets provided were very useful. I was used to the couplings although the modified Fleischmann close couplers did make me swear under my breath. I’m also used to running trains on the big railway.

On the second day I was even simulating signal checks and crew changes (in my mind) and stops on the local passenger service to drop people off etc.

It was great fun and I’d urge anyone thinking about getting involved to drop Paul a PM.

If I wasn’t 400 miles away I’d be up for joining the team and I think the furthest East I’ve ever been is Finland….

Thanks 

Neil

10 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

It was great fun and I’d urge anyone thinking about getting involved to drop Paul a PM.

If I wasn’t 400 miles away I’d be up for joining the team and I think the furthest East I’ve ever been is Finland….

Thanks 

Neil

Neil

Many thanks for that endorsement, especially when you consider that we were really stretched at Glasgow. We were one man down all weekend and we had not introduced the new operating protocols which will allow longer and more frequent breaks in the future and so we were all under considerable pressure that weekend.

So, if you found the Glasgow experience was positive for you  despite those problems, then that is a BIG positive for us going forward.

Paul

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA