Getting started with JMRI, a basic question

cheekychops

Hi

I wish to  move from my NCE starter handheld controller to JMRI + Smart Phone/Tablet

The reason is that with increasing numbers of accessories and sound functions a handheld controller is becoming a memory game, and whilst I might be able to standardise the sound across locomotives with extensive reprogramming, accessories need to be laid out on a crib sheet. I would rather have a simpler 'smart' controller which adapts itself to each locomotive. I am assuming JMRI permits this, so for example 'whistle' might be different functions on different locos/chips but the interface will just show 'Whistle' using JMRI.

Looking at the JMRI site there seems to be a basic question unanswered, namely what constitutes a DCC controller to sit between layout and laptop? Is the simple interface of the NCE starter set suitable?

Cheers

For a PowerCab,  you need to add the NCE USB interface module.  Which is about £40.    That provides the connection between USB on your computer and the NCE system. 

https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/hardware/nce/NCE.shtml

The rest of what you're asking.  Yes its possible, however...... 

a - if you want labels for each loco, you have to enter them manually.  JMRI cannot deduce/read that from a loco (there being no data in the loco which says which button does what).    Once entered, they are saved.   So, yes, you can label the function keys on software throttles (on the computer screen, or on an attached smartphone/tablet) as "whistle" , "cylinder blow" , etc. rather than F1, F4, F5, etc...   Similarly, locomotives can have any name you give them, thus "Flying Scotsman" or "Thomas" rather than a DCC address. 

b - if you want all the buttons to be in the same place, then you're into programming.   If decoder supplier-1 put the cylinder-drain on F3 and decoder supplier-2 put the cylinder-drain on F9,  changing that requires programming.   
JMRI/DecoderPro will help with this, in carrying out the programming and recording all the settings made.  But making changes in sound decoders requires a moderate amount of brain applied.  (Same reason as first point - there is no data to read from the decoder which says what F9 is controlling).   

The exact details of how to do things vary between decoders;  ESU are well supported, Zimo reasonably well (but the interface is a bit messy),   Soundtraxx is well supported,   others vary.   Some decoders may be limited in the changes which are possible (eg. Hornby TTS don't have many options to change things, so stuck with how Hornby supply from factory). 

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

SPROG3 will fulfill all your interface and controller needs. The Roster you build in JMRI DecoderPro will contain logical names, functions, etc. that you are seeking. All the information will transfer to PanelPro where you build your layout diagram and interactive accessories such as points/turnouts, signals etc. Operation of the layout can be from your laptop as well as smartphone or tablet through WiFi. It will take some effort to learn the intricacies of the JMRI suite, but it is worth it in the end. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Can I use a usb-XpressNet module like this one to connect my Roco Multimaus 10810 to JMRI?  https://www.dcc-decoders.com/product-page/usb-interface

Between "possibly" and "fairly high chance it works": ask the supplier / maker.    They have a JMRI video on their homepage, but you're as capable of reading their pages and manuals as anyone else.  

- Nigel

Nigel, sorry I didn’t express myself clearly.  I should have said that from the designer I know it works with Lenz 100, and he says it will work with anything else that has an XpressNet bus.  But somewhere in the back of my mind I think I’ve seen that the Roco Multimaus 10810 isn’t fully XpressNet?  Up until now it’s not been important as 3 maus are used for a 3 operator layout, but the next layout will need a lot more operators than I have friends so some automation is required.

This page sets out what JMRI does with XPressNet systems:

https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/hardware/XPressNet/index.shtml

In there, Roco 10810 is able to run trains, operate turnouts and work the programming track.  But not receive any layout feedback.  Further down in the "limitations" section there is a little more detail around Roco devices.   

So, if the computer interface device behaves the same as one of the Lenz interfaces, it will do what the JMRI page describes. 

The Roco capabilities strikes me as inadequate for "automation".  You'll need to add another bus for feedback from the layout, or replace the Roco system.  JMRI will work with multiple systems, so feedback could be from a secondary setup.  Depending how many sensors are needed, that could be very cheap to add.  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

The Roco 10810 is simply a handset, it doesn’t provide any level of capability for layout automation with JMRI or any other automation software.

Most software will recognise when a command has been issued by the 10810 and reflect that command within the automation program but the. Handset is dumb with no ‘intelligence’ other than seeing the DCC commands that are on XpressNet.

On 02/02/2021 at 08:03, WIMorrison said:

The Roco 10810 is simply a handset, it doesn’t provide any level of capability for layout automation with JMRI or any other automation software.

Most software will recognise when a command has been issued by the 10810 and reflect that command within the automation program but the. Handset is dumb with no ‘intelligence’ other than seeing the DCC commands that are on XpressNet.

Yes 10810 is the handset.  I'm thinking of that handset with the 10764 booster via the 'slave' socket.

On 30/01/2021 at 20:46, Penrhos1920 said:

Can I use a usb-XpressNet module like this one to connect my Roco Multimaus 10810 to JMRI?

Penrhos,

I think that you need to get someone to assure you that the particular USB-XpressNet module you plan to use will work with the 10764 in the way that you want.  I looked and could not find such a combination described anywhere.

There are some other Computer-XpressNet interface devices which do claim to work with the multiMaus, but not the one you linked to: e.g. http://www.terdina.net/rails/

Yours,  Mike.

• Thanks 1

I am slightly confused (not difficult I hear you say!) - you want to connect the 10810 to the 10764 - absolutely possible, they were originally sold together. I think you then want to connect the 10764 to JMRI via an interface of some description (perhaps the one described above) - is this correct?

Are you then planning to purchase Xpressnet feedback decoders? They are available but there is a rather limited choice which I think would be Lenz and LDT with the associated costs. I am also not certain that the 10764 will be able to work with them - perhaps someone else could confirm whether they would? If you are not planning to do this what feedback system do you plan to use?