Class 60s split gears (or prototypical availability!)

fezza

I've just taken three Class 60s out of storage and found two have split gears. Ouch! Is this a known issue? I haven't had problems with this particular class before. 

I think this is my fifteenth loco that has split gears. Some I've fixed myself but quite a few I've had to pay to sort. Not great really. 

It's frustrating as both these were kept at room temperature in stock boxes and ran perfectly before being put away... Is there anything one can do to stop it happening? Is there any official GF advice? 

I think simply the GF locos all have souls and when you don't play with them they get sad and split a gear.

It always happens when the locos are out of use I've noticed, as it is typically a single gear that goes I simply snip off the gear and put the wheel back on, there's usually enough coming from the other wheels for there to be no loss in performance.

All my trains are stored in the same room as they are used in when not in use so there is no change in temperature or conditions - maybe they don't like the dark?

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes, I'll have a fiddle this evening. I'm not planning to model the Toton scrap line!

I've always assumed it's a combination of metal axle expansion and weakness in certain nylon gears, but despite hunting the web I can't find any "official" explanation or advice from GF about how to avoid it. 

• RMweb Premium

It’s not an uncommon issue.

The nylon gears fracture because of the interference fit to the axle. This is accelerated if the model doesn’t live in a temperature controlled environment such as a loft, garage or shed. 

66s and 57s are particular partial to doing this in my experience.