Track for new HO Layout

Due to my rubbish eyesight, I have had to sell my N gauge layout and am now looking to create a new layout using HO, which I guess will also be used by my grandsons.  The layout will be approx 200cms x 110cms and will be dcc and will probably have a German/Austrian theme.   I am looking for other members thoughts on track to use.  My old N gauge system used Fleischann Profi

I have been looking at the Marklin C track and the Peko, but the latter seems to have multiple choices.    I would welcome any thoughts about what members have used and generally if there is a preference for one manufacturer over another.

Any other tips for HO also much appreciated 

Many thanks

A

Hi Alex,

I guess it depends on what your trying to achieve, you can use plain old PECO track. Or you could go for the ultimate continental track like Tillig. There is Roco line track with and without roadbed, tillig track is quite delicate and is not as robust as PECO track but looks more prototypical but is more expensive and can be difficult to get, but a point to note with tillig is that it can be flexed. If you find track laying difficult or a challenge then go for something simple as you did say you used to fleischmann profi. But if you do go for one of the European systems remember availability and cost especially now with brexit.

Hi Alex,

If you want cheap and cheerful, you could use either Hornby or (British) Peco set track - you won’t get built in roadbed but it will be quite robust and sort of familiar to you.

Similarly with Bachmann Easy Track (I think it’s called) only that does come with built in roadbed, it’s American origin but perfectly useable.

Sadly, Fleischmann H0 track is no longer available new, you can get it second hand but maybe limited choices.

Very similar to the super robust Fleischmann track however is Trix C track. As noted above, supply may be limited but I’ve had it recommended to me. 
Unless you are set on the Marklin AC system, don’t use Marklin C track as this is purely for the AC system users.

I hope this helps and good luck!

John

Thanks both for your thoughts and input- much appreciated, especially;y the warning re Marklin C - hasn't realised that.    I had done the same design using Marklin C, Fleischmann Profi, and Peco Set track with some Streamline (Flexible).   In order of preference but was Fleischmann, Peco then Marklin, so I guess I will be using Peco.

Can I just ask, it is Ok to mix Peco set track with Streamline - the layout needed some flexible track?

Thanks again

Spent the weekend playing with the rail modelling software and have come up with a first attempt at my new DCC HO layout. I am restricted to 200x100cms so its a little cramped. Gives me a station at the bottom, and intermediate station at the top and a fiddle yard.

Given that Fleischmann Profi HO (my initial track choice) is discontinued, I have gone for Peco set track with a bit of flexible Streamline where set track wouldn't work. 

The layout doesn't represent anywhere in particular and will be used with mostly German style rolling stock.

Comments and thoughts of more layout talented members most welcome

Peco V2.jpg

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Alex H said:

Spent the weekend playing with the rail modelling software and have come up with a first attempt at my new DCC HO layout. I am restricted to 200x100cms so its a little cramped. Gives me a station at the bottom, and intermediate station at the top and a fiddle yard.

Given that Fleischmann Profi HO (my initial track choice) is discontinued, I have gone for Peco set track with a bit of flexible Streamline where set track wouldn't work. 

The layout doesn't represent anywhere in particular and will be used with mostly German style rolling stock.

Comments and thoughts of more layout talented members most welcome

Peco V2.jpg

I'm not talented in designing layouts, but my first thought is "My, what a lot of track." And the top and bottom look very close to the edges - I can confirm that if stock falls from layout height onto a floor it does not do it any good :o and continental stock is now even more expensive than it used to be.

I know that German stations can have small buildings, but I don't see where they can be fitted in, nor how the fiddle yard can be hidden and worked - you need to get out, run, and then stop somewhere and reverse.

I assume the front sidings are for freight and the top sidings are the fiddle yard. A freight train leaving the fiddle yard runs anticlockwise. If the visible part is double-track a German train would run on the right - depositing wagons in the sidings will be strange. As will taking stock out from the sidings.  I have no idea if your little HO people will have room to load/unload wagons.

On double-track lines, sidings almost always have a headshunt. On single track in Austria (at least on narrow-gauge, I assume standard gauge is similar) a station will have a

passing loop which can be used in the absence of a passing train to run round and shunt.

At bigger stations there might be more lines (and platforms) in the passing loop, and perhaps

a headshunt if it is busy, but even in HOe that needs more than 2.0M just for the station.

Overall, I think some of the track is superfluous - you really need to work out what you intend to run, how long the trains will be (both locos and wagons or coaches), and what moves you expect to be able to make.

There also seems limited scope for scenics.

I think you might be better served by building the baseboard(s) and then temporarily putting some track down (e.g., pins and not ballasted, but that implies a surface deep enough to hold the pins, and therefore comparatively heavy), manually operated points, connecting the power, running trains and seeing how it looks and how much it appeals to you or annoys you.

When I came back to the hobby I built an experimental HOe layout on a 4'x2' (1.2M x 0.6M) board to see if that was practical (how well/badly did the stock run, and whether it would cope with gradients) and to review scenery techniques. From that I found that tight curves detract from the appearance and limit what I can run (e.g. most HOe stock will run on it, but bogie stock underhangs excessively on the inner loop of the station), and that scenery and overall appearance are what attract me. For the limited times I run that, I can survive the fact it is a roundy-roundy with everything visible (with some raised scenery and gradients to help disguise that), but operationally it is *limited* and just a trainset. Other people are more interested in operation - I suspect that applies to you, but I think your plan has limited operational scope.

I'm also not sure how you plan to control the points - if motorised, the motors might need space (alternatively, the point position is more or less set in stone, with holes beneath it for the motor, and a need to maybe access the underside in the future). For Peco, the side-mounted motors can be convenient but do need enough space.

I might sound negative (I often do), but I hate to see people starting on things which might end up as not satisfying them and effectively wasting money (unless they can afford that).

Best wishes, whatever you decide.

ĸen

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I hate to be the one saying this, but i'd be very concerned at some of the radius of your streamline track sections. They appear to be very tight, especially in bottom right-hand corner.

On a board the size you are looking at, I would really scale back, and possibly go for a single track loop, with a passing place station at the front with a couple of freight sidings, and 2 or 3 double-ended fiddle yard loops at the rear.

On a 200cm x 110cm (6'6" x about 4') baseboard, you could probably just about squeeze in a double track loop if you use 1st radius and 2nd radius Peco setrack curves.

It all depends on what you want from this layout, and what kinds of train you are operating. Will you be running steam, or will it be all diesels and electrics?

One other comment on your track-plan. There seems to be a lot of duplication of crossovers between the 2 loops, I really don't think you need so many.

• 3 weeks later...