Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

These have a lot to answer for..

Funny, I found a bunch of my old Railway Series books while I was sorting my shelves the other day. I remember when I was a kid, I thought I'd love to create an epic Sodor layout with all the important locations, a narrow gauge section, the mountain railway - how I'd have fitted that on a 6x4 board I don't know...

• Like 2

How much are the original versions normally?

This popped up on one of the adverts earlier when looking for something else. They also have cheap starter Airfix kits so I added a couple of those to get the free postage as it's shy of a penny.

Be quick if you want them. Online only though.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/thomas-complete-collection-book-set/p/708729421218300

I ordered them just as a nice thing to have, but also for my niece and nephew to look at.

I wasn't particularly into Thomas as a kid. More Sammy and Ivor TBH. Always thought TTTE was a bit preachy and moralistic. Be good or you'll get bricked up in a tunnel!   :laugh:

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, john new said:

Somewhere on my bookshelves is one of Awdry’s other child targeted books - a hardback Belinda Beetle IIRC. Must find and reread.

I wonder whether that has anything to do with the "Three Beetles" pub on the original Ffarquhar layout?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Some years back I acquired the boxed set of 27 books which I now see are available though Aldi.

They are an excellent present for the grandparent who wished to read to their grandchildren (when lockdown is finished).

I  have a hard copy of John Snell's 'Jennie' as mentioned by Ian.

Although it was based on the mid Wales narrow gauge lines there is more than a touch of north Wales and the Ffestiniog with the spiral line  to gain height and the LNWR in evidence as the standard gauge interloper.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 03:57, Steamport Southport said:

This popped up on one of the adverts earlier when looking for something else. They also have cheap starter Airfix kits so I added a couple of those to get the free postage as it's shy of a penny.

I ordered them just as a nice thing to have, but also for my niece and nephew to look at.

I wasn't particularly into Thomas as a kid. More Sammy and Ivor TBH. Always thought TTTE was a bit preachy and moralistic. Be good or you'll get bricked up in a tunnel!   :laugh:

Jason

I really wish you hadn't given me that link, but having seen it, they offered the perfect gift for Grand Childen. Surprised at the very good presentation and quality. 26 books for £29.99.......

Tempted to say, they wouldn't enjoy them and just keep them for old times sake.........:D

DSCF1561.jpg.8607e663e9bdbe528750274bfbc2b068.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2021 at 03:57, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Can't be selling that quickly as I posted the link in Bargain Hunters on Jan 15.

TBH, I rather agree with the Aldi reviewer: they aren't great books for most modern children.

A good friend gave copies to my son as Christmas and birthday presents over the years, building to a complete set of "reissued in original format", and neither son nor daughter took to the stories, other than one book (the one containing "Mrs Kindly's Christmas") which seems a bit more timeless than the rest.

As 'picture books', they don't compete at all well with the works of Julia Donaldson and Axel Schaeffler for instance, and as stories they don't even compete with Winnie the Pooh, largely because they are long on rather wooden moralising, and short on warmth and humour ......... old-fashioned in the wrong way.

Me, OTH, I still sneak a quick read of some of them for nostalgia's sake, and am certain-sure that Dalby's very plain, simplified representations of the railway-world must have influenced my taste in what a layout should look like. We had up to about No.17 or 18 when I was boy, and I was seriously amazed by how many of them there are in total.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eldomtom2 said:

Personal taste - there's enough young fans of the books and the original TV series to show that isn't an inherent reaction.

Clearly not a universal reaction, no, but the original-style books are no longer the childhood staples that they were, and I would wager that's because times have moved on, and parents are picking things of a different style. 

Be interested to hear what others think, but I thought that the original TV series managed to make the stories a bit warmer than the books - maybe it was the slow pace and the quality of the voiceover. The later TV series clearly weren't aimed at aging nostalgics like me!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1