Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Railway Modeller dating from the 1950s to 1990s

Hi

I am at a loss.

My father recently passed away and I have discovered his boxed collection of Railway Modeller magazines, starting in the 1950s to 80s with no gaps I can see, then more into the early 90s.

There is a wealth of history of the hobby and 'how to's' in their pages.

Really they need scanning in and a public archive made.

My problem is I don't have the time or space.

What is the best most sensitive and preserving way to pass them on?

Thanks

Mike (location is Havant Hants) 

• Friendly/supportive 3

Mike,

Given the current situation, this maybe difficult. My way, admittedly with not so many was to donated to my local heritage railway. I did try a local charity shop but they said they didn’t have the space to keep themselves and thought it would be too difficult to move the quantity I was offering. Maybe a local charity that hospital or school visits. Or maybe put a free to good home on RMweb for someone in your local area once the national lock down is lifted.

Condolences for your loss.

Tom

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to be cheeky, but...

If you are willing to split, and have any 1950 & 1951, I am looking for 5 issues from those years to complete my collection.

Then... I get the same problem as you. I'm downsizing my collection (all mags going back to 1949!). I'm scanning the articles I want, then passing the mags on....

Stewart

• Agree 1

While this may be a very public spirited project, the magazines and their contents are still all subject to copyright. So they can't be republished or digitised (other than small extracts for certain, limited purposes) without the permission of the publishers.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, bécasse said:

Pre-1951 magazines are out of copyright, for published items it lasts for 70 years from the date of first publication.

I'm afraid not.

With written work it's seventy years after the death of the author. All these will be in copyright for decades.

Seeing as the editor of those issues CJ Freezer died in 2009. The copyright will outlive most of us.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2021 at 23:08, mikesndbs said:

There is a wealth of history of the hobby and 'how to's' in their pages.

Really they need scanning in and a public archive made.

Mike (location is Havant Hants) 

The back issues of many of the older magazines are a wonderful resource. As has been mentioned, they are still in copyright.

In terms of a public archive i believe the Railway Modeller back issues are all available digitally via Peco, at a cost obviously, I think it’s part of their digital subscriber packages 

• Like 1

Good evening all, thank you for the replies.

I have been hard at it at work so hence late reply.

Have to say I am frustrated by the legal side of this!

I wonder if someone from RM looking in might like to suggest a way forward, I can't face dumping them all but just don't have the space.

I'd imagine these could be some of the last around so it would be a crying shame to lose all that content.

It is a pity that Peco have not produced a proper Archive DVD for all the Continental Modellers and Railway Modellers.

Continental Modeller would be a start, the first issue was in 1979. In this case, one DVD should cover it.

I have the Eisenbahn Journal and MIBA archive DVDs, they are excellent, Smartcat is a reasonably good search engine as well, for MIBA and EJ.

If it works for MIBA and EJ, why not Peco.

13 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Good evening all, thank you for the replies.

I have been hard at it at work so hence late reply.

Have to say I am frustrated by the legal side of this!

I wonder if someone from RM looking in might like to suggest a way forward, I can't face dumping them all but just don't have the space.

I'd imagine these could be some of the last around so it would be a crying shame to lose all that content.

I can't see a problem with passing them on, either to someone like a preservation society (ie giving them away) or selling them (ie doing what the society will do).

• Like 1

Being a little selfish here, but as I have a magazine collection (RM, MRN, MRC) complete back to 1949 except for 5 copies, would anyone be prepared to lend me those 5 copies, to see if I need to search for them to complete the collection? If their is nothing in them of interest to me I won't need to look further?

[ RM 1949 - Dec (issue 2); 1951 - July/Sep/Nov/Dec [issue 11/12/13/14)] 

Obviously care would be taken and promptly returned.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dick rowland said:

It is a pity that Peco have not produced a proper Archive DVD for all the Continental Modellers and Railway Modellers.

Continental Modeller would be a start, the first issue was in 1979. In this case, one DVD should cover it.

I have the Eisenbahn Journal and MIBA archive DVDs, they are excellent, Smartcat is a reasonably good search engine as well, for MIBA and EJ.

I guess the question is who is going to do the work? As well as requiring a full set of magazines in quite good condition, it's going to take someone a long time at the scanner.

The MIBA & EJ you refer to, have they been scanned professionally (some one paid to do it, by the copyright owner), or has an enthusiastic amateur down the work personally and offered the result, back to the copyright owner?

The Model Engineer has been indexed right from the first issue (1896 I believe), but that has taken a team of volunteers, many years (generations?) to complete.

If you don't/can't get approval from the relevant copyright holders, then it's not a project that's going to take off.

People scanning only the items that interest them, isn't going to help a great deal. Scanning a couple of items (on average) from each issue and dumping the rest, won't get the job done.

Hi Stewart,

Our local model railway club has a good library particularly for modelling mags. As they started in 1949 they may have some of those issues you are searching for. However the club is closed at the moment until Covid is lifted so it will be a long time a coming but if you give me a list of the RM mags you are missing then I can take a look once we are back to see if there are any at the club. (Incidentally Gauge O guild members have access to a database of magazine articles which is very useful and open to members only - I'm not)

Now I'll be a little opportunistic here on a totally diferent topic if you allow.  I've just seen a post on Seep  point motors from you dated Sept 24 2014 in which you mention a design for a base with micro switch operation and I'd be interested to see some pics you mentioned but a quick search hasn't found any post on this forum. Any chance thanks?

Ray

...to quote

Nowadays, I'm a tad fussier though. I prefer to use PROPER switches for switching the elctrofrogs. I do not like the Peco ones (nor the price!). So I have made my own adaptor plates for the SEEP version, which are cheap and easy to make, and also make the SEEP easier to install. I'm not able to post any pics at the momement, but if there is interest I will later.

Basically, a plate of thick plastikard has the SEEP bolted to it. The drive pin of the motor actuates a copperclad sleeper strip which acts as a new tiebar. One end of this has a brass wire soldered into it, acting as a drive pin for the Peco tiebar (middle hole). The other end of the copperclad acts against a proper microswitch (ebay) which is also bolted to the baseplate.

The assy can be mounted under the board, easier to poke the brass wire through the hole in the point when it is at the end of the tiebar. I do have a couple of very simple jigs to align it but rarely use them (made from a coffee stirrer). All wiring (6 wires are pre-soldered, and these "droppers attch to copper nails in the underside of the baseboard. All K.I.S.S. !

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You say you mailed the HMRS. If you haven't received an answer to a letter from the HMRS it is because at the moment we can't access our post regularly, the Butterley site being closed by the MRT. However, the HMRS has long runs of most of the relevant magazines. The most recent list on the website (not very recent though I know that the Librarian is working on it) states re RM:

Bound vols. Vol. 1 (1949/50) through to Vol.43 (1992). Unbound. Vol. 44-57 1993 - 2006 complete, Vol. 58 2007 (complete), Vol. 59 2008 (May-Dec), Vol. 60 2009(Jan/Mar-May/Jul/Aug/Oct), 2010 (Jan/Feb/May/Jul-Dec), 2011 (Jan-Jun/Aug-Dec), 2012( Jan/May

Jonathan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

You say you mailed the HMRS. If you haven't received an answer to a letter from the HMRS it is because at the moment we can't access our post regularly, the Butterley site being closed by the MRT. However, the HMRS has long runs of most of the relevant magazines. The most recent list on the website (not very recent though I know that the Librarian is working on it) states re RM:

Bound vols. Vol. 1 (1949/50) through to Vol.43 (1992). Unbound. Vol. 44-57 1993 - 2006 complete, Vol. 58 2007 (complete), Vol. 59 2008 (May-Dec), Vol. 60 2009(Jan/Mar-May/Jul/Aug/Oct), 2010 (Jan/Feb/May/Jul-Dec), 2011 (Jan-Jun/Aug-Dec), 2012( Jan/May

Jonathan

Thanks, yes had a reply saying they would like them but not sure how to get them due to Covid, awaiting them to get back to me

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2021 at 19:36, dick rowland said:

An update.

Peco have scanned all of RM at least. Must get around to subscribing to the digital version to get access back to Volume 1, Number 1.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

An update.

Peco have scanned all of RM at least. Must get around to subscribing to the digital version to get access back to Volume 1, Number 1.

Yes for the first time ever I've subscribed to a magazine . it seems a decent deal , I will save on issues I would buy  anyway and I get access to the archive. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading through magazine articles I remember from the 70s onwards . My first Railway Modeller was March 1973 with Mallaig in "N" as the layout . Just been re reading , then April 74 Denthead . All the layouts I remember and were inspired by at the time . So the whole digital archive is now available . 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2021 at 10:39, MarkSG said:

While this may be a very public spirited project, the magazines and their contents are still all subject to copyright. So they can't be republished or digitised (other than small extracts for certain, limited purposes) without the permission of the publishers.

Perhaps Peco would give permission if asked nicely.  They might even contribute to the cost given suitable agreement.

Edit. Just read @kevinlmspost. Looks like Peco have already digitised everything.

Edited by Colin_McLeod