Hornsey Broadway virtual running session

Kier Hardy

With no exhibitions on the calendar, and no chance to catch up socially, virtual running sessions are just so 2021. I've put 2 videos together capturing the rolling stock and locomotives on the layout in January 2021. It's been fun putting them together,  and I hope you enjoy them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7hlpaxWN6dDntpsc_GYbwA

Take care and stay safe,

Kier

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Kier, just decided to take a break from building pointwork and saw this post. Many thanks for showing my favourite show layout in video. I still have part two to watch later today, but so many memories came flooding back of the approaches into KX and North London as a whole. 

I could have sat and watched all day.....;)

Thanks for taking the time to show us Hornsey Broadway.....Wonderful!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

With no exhibitions on the calendar, and no chance to catch up socially, virtual running sessions are just so 2021. I've put 2 videos together capturing the rolling stock and locomotives on the layout in January 2021. It's been fun putting them together,  and I hope you enjoy them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7hlpaxWN6dDntpsc_GYbwA

Take care and stay safe,

Kier

Excellent . I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Hornsey Broadway at Glasgow . Little did we know what lay ahead!   Something to watch instead of Coronationenders Farm 

21 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

Excellent Kier, full of nostalgia........................but where have all the 31's gone!

Well spotted Grahame  - they're conspicuous by their absence.

Deep in the depths of the Hornsey workshops are several Lima Class 31s awaiting reconstructive surgery, as is the case at the Eastwell workshops, so the outer suburban services are in the hands of Baby Deltics for the time being. 

With all the duplications happening in the model world, you can choose from 5 different Class 47s, nearly as many Class 37s, but not much in the way of Class 31s. The latest Hornby one is hard to come by in the right configuration, and in blue looks awful due to the lack of banding on the bodyside. The Lima one is a better starting point, but requires back-dating to get the front end right, with all those grab handles on the roof to make your eyes go funny. 

So unless someone produces a new RTR headcode box Class 31 suitable for the 1970s period, we'll just have to wait until those ancient Lima bodies make their way onto the work bench (with the enthusiasm to tackle the job). With scenic work on the layout, as well as a whole host of other loco customisations to get through, it might be a long wait!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

Well spotted Grahame  - they're conspicuous by their absence.

Deep in the depths of the Hornsey workshops are several Lima Class 31s awaiting reconstructive surgery, as is the case at the Eastwell workshops, so the outer suburban services are in the hands of Baby Deltics for the time being. 

With all the duplications happening in the model world, you can choose from 5 different Class 47s, nearly as many Class 37s, but not much in the way of Class 31s. The latest Hornby one is hard to come by in the right configuration, and in blue looks awful due to the lack of banding on the bodyside. The Lima one is a better starting point, but requires back-dating to get the front end right, with all those grab handles on the roof to make your eyes go funny. 

So unless someone produces a new RTR headcode box Class 31 suitable for the 1970s period, we'll just have to wait until those ancient Lima bodies make their way onto the work bench (with the enthusiasm to tackle the job). With scenic work on the layout, as well as a whole host of other loco customisations to get through, it might be a long wait!

Fantastic videos Kier thanks for sharing.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about Hornby 31s. They are kind of passable in green with small panels but with full yellow end the lack of the band around the waist just makes them look odd. 

I can't believe for such a numerous machine Hornby hasn't retooled it or one of the other manufacturers hasn't modelled it

• Agree 1

I doubt it is lost on someone like Accurascale that there is a gap when it comes to 31s  but they've a bit to be going at presently, though what goes on in the background with all those talented people they've recruited we don't yet know - so who knows what might be coming in the next couple of years.  If there is one to come, you can bet it will be a 31/0 first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting the videos.

A 501 Watford to Broad Street via South Hampstead, or to Queens Park and then the Bakerloo line were my routes to work in the early 1980s. So thanks for the memories, and, of course, for the beautiful modelling on Hornsey, an inspiration.