Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold

South Worcestershire In 1971... how could we possibly justify a Manor? Oh hang on 7808 was just down the line at Ashchurch and escaped several times to open days .... :D

And they all sound rather nice.... apologies for the awful photo at the beginning of the clip

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 15

Saw the announcement and thought that they wouldn't do Dinmore in the first batch so my wallet was safe.

Dug deeper...... Dinmore, Erlestoke AND Bradley in the first batch. Dear oh dear.... Which do I choose!?!

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mark,

It is certainly something we will be paying attention to!

Cheers,

Fran

Good luck with navigating the minefield of variations! I will certainly be in the market for one.

Mark

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Global said:

In terms of copying Dapol, as you say the announcement clearly shows this model has been in development since 2019 - and what decade was the, very likely inferior, Dapol model likely to arrive?!

That is a bit unfair. The Dapol Manor is slated for 2021 release. The Mogul only took 3 years in gestation, the last year being the Covid disrupted 2020. If they learn from the feedback on the mogul then their manor could be excellent - it may still be 'inferior' in specification to Accurascale's, but inferior doesn't necessarily equate to no good. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Saw the announcement and thought that they wouldn't do Dinmore in the first batch so my wallet was safe.

Dug deeper...... Dinmore, Erlestoke AND Bradley in the first batch. Dear oh dear.... Which do I choose!?!

Cheers,

They aren't doing 7802, so I'm guessing you mean Hinton Manor?

Its not a Kirtley 700 class, and this leads me to a very serious problem!...

I could very happily do 7824 for location and timeframe squeeze with a change to late crest green...well, not that you could see the crest on it (or any trace of green paint) when it eked out its final days around here. But lined black just sits so well on them, and 20 wasn't a local machine until it went green...See? Serious problem!

A 700 would solve this very taxing issue! Count me in for 7824

Edited by Zunnan

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just seen the latest Accurascale announcement, I’m bowled over by it and though I won’t be buying one (wrong era and wrong region), it’s a great model to dip your toe into the steam loco pool.  Not too big or ambitious and I’m sure it will be a great seller.

Keep up the amazing and outstanding work.

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Well @Captain Kernow, we tried to find a solution. We really did. But steam really stumped us on such conversions, so sadly unless you go to great butchery lengths our Manor will be merely OO!

Cheers!

Fran

Fran

The new Manor looks fabulous - well done!  But what are the issues in converting it to EM gauge?  Is it the clearance inside the splashers or is it the slide bars?

Gerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Cheers,

If you're modelling preservation era and you have a keenness for detail, be aware the Dinmore's tender in preservation is not the same as that on the model. Also Bradley's rarely used the 3500 gal tender in preservation, most recently when Erlestoke was out of service.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, MattA said:

If you're modelling preservation era and you have a keenness for detail, be aware the Dinmore's tender in preservation is not the same as that on the model. Also Bradley's rarely used the 3500 gal tender in preservation, most recently when Erlestoke was out of service.

Hi Matt,

Yeah I just noticed that. I want to model 7820 with the smaller tender she had at the GCR but both black manors being produced have the flush version when I want the riveted which is a shame.

Bradley equally had the larger tender when I rode behind it so that is wrong for me too. 

Makes my decision between the three rather a bit easier sadly. Erlestoke it is then! - typically the only one of the three I've seen in steam but haven't rode behind.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Slidebars are far too thin. No excuse for having them this thin, especially in 00. A good cheat would be to shift the piston rod axis 0.5mm outboards.

accurascale-slidebars.png.c8c54cc87d8512f5453b84a187408ba8.png

The elliptical crankpin nuts are very strange...

Hi @Miss Prism,

Can you point us in the direction of a model that has wider slidebars as a reference?

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Miss Prism,

Can you point us in the direction of a model that has wider slidebars as a reference?

Cheers!

Fran

Here’s an image direct from the Dinmore Manor blog. About a 3rd of the way down the page. http://7820dinmoremanor.blogspot.com/2013/07/progress-through-june-and-early-july.html?m=1

CA783EDF-05D6-4FB7-B1A9-CBCC50B9B018.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Here’s an image direct from the Dinmore Manor blog. About a 3rd of the way down the page. http://7820dinmoremanor.blogspot.com/2013/07/progress-through-june-and-early-july.html?m=1

CA783EDF-05D6-4FB7-B1A9-CBCC50B9B018.jpeg

Hi @Hilux5972,

Many thanks for that. As you can imagine, we have lots of good photos of this area too.

1141496499_2020_09.05LOCO-6-real.jpg.e084b390a611907149a54840ac6b3f82.jpg

There is an issue with clearance here, but there is every chance we can make it wider and more prototypical. Our design team will go through it as part of the sample assessment and as it is metal and small plastic parts it should be straightforward to alter if tolerances allow.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Slightly left of topic, but here goes... The days of  'being the only game in town'  appear to be fast diminishing. Just a few years ago, there was only 2 'players', so you got what's going. Nowadays, the field is a bit more open. The prospect of 'we can get away with this' may not be the case any more. 

One interesting point is that the 'current catalogue' of Western RTR is somewhat limited. In that case, it's a straight choice between   upgrading an existing model, or delve into the 'back catalogue'.  A fellow poster on here asked the straightforward question:-  "What would happen if a newer, more detailed model of a 57xx were released?  A good question indeed....The Western 'back catalogue' is indeed extensive, with some very notable examples.  The old adage of 'quality sells' trumps most things. 

Thumbing through my lists, I see a lot of the class made it down to South Wales, so no problem there.  Interesting times, and hopefully an interesting future.... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Let's hope the 'wonderfully smooth operating motor' will get a wonderfully realistic gear ratio. I feel the 'Gearing arranged so locomotive can achieve a scale top speed of 90 mph' is inappropriate. Manors ran out of puff above 40mph...

Hi,

The video near the beginning of this thread mentioned Manors were sometimes attached to diesel hauled trains to provide steam heat and also used double headed at least once with a more powerful loco on a rail tour so that may justify going for a higher top speed. 

I model the Reading to Redhill line so I may be tempted to get a Manor as they were used on that line once Reading got an allocation of Manors.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Slidebars are far too thin. No excuse for having them this thin, especially in 00. A good cheat would be to shift the piston rod axis 0.5mm outboards.

accurascale-slidebars.png.c8c54cc87d8512f5453b84a187408ba8.png

The elliptical crankpin nuts are very strange...

Without offending anyone, may I suggest the illustration here is actually the crosshead pin.  It is in backwards ( IE, nut outwards ) but don't worry, I've seen that on the full-size stuff as well.  Cue one joker.... " Why can't I get the nut on?"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Can you be more specific?

Yes:

accurascale-crankpin-shape.png.bb7fb6b9d2205937f5a589f1a4ae1b4f.png

The prototype has a prominent round bit with a smaller radiused front elliptical bit. Your transcription emphasises the smaller elliptical bit and sort of misses the bigger round thing aspect.

I'm being Miss Picky of course, but that is what I'm here for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Yes:

accurascale-crankpin-shape.png.bb7fb6b9d2205937f5a589f1a4ae1b4f.png

The prototype has a prominent round bit with a smaller radiused front elliptical bit. Your transcription emphasises the smaller elliptical bit and sort of misses the bigger round thing aspect.

I'm being Miss Picky of course, but that is what I'm here for.

Not at all, we appreciate the feedback! We will look into it and see if it’s something we can improve. It’s what our first samples are for.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1