Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

15 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Here’s an image direct from the Dinmore Manor blog. About a 3rd of the way down the page. http://7820dinmoremanor.blogspot.com/2013/07/progress-through-june-and-early-july.html?m=1

CA783EDF-05D6-4FB7-B1A9-CBCC50B9B018.jpeg

Here is a picture of a P4 Mogul. Clearances are tight in P4 but to be honest I think it would be quite difficult to achieve in a ready to run model and achieve the finesse of the cross

30 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Hilux5972,

Many thanks for that. As you can imagine, we have lots of good photos of this area too.

1141496499_2020_09.05LOCO-6-real.jpg.e084b390a611907149a54840ac6b3f82.jpg

There is an issue with clearance here, but there is every chance we can make it wider and more prototypical. Our design team will go through it as part of the sample assessment and as it is metal and small plastic parts it should be straightforward to alter if tolerances allow.

Cheers!

Fran

Here is an image of mine from above giving some depth to the slide bars. These are etched and fabricated so the assembly method may not suit mass production so it would come down to casting tolerances.

A12130B2-BE0F-417E-98EC-0504AE9D22F0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, 60800 said:

Saw the announcement and thought that they wouldn't do Dinmore in the first batch so my wallet was safe.

Dug deeper...... Dinmore, Erlestoke AND Bradley in the first batch. Dear oh dear.... Which do I choose!?!

Cheers,

Dinmore, Obviously......! :)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 60800 said:

Saw the announcement and thought that they wouldn't do Dinmore in the first batch so my wallet was safe.

Dug deeper...... Dinmore, Erlestoke AND Bradley in the first batch. Dear oh dear.... Which do I choose!?!

Well, I wouldn’t want to put words in your mouth, but it’s Dinmore Manor for me...

Yes, we even put our own money where our mouths are...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Meanwhile I hope they use Lydham Manor at Paignton for the sound file as that thing is a gorgeous little pocket rocket! 

9207B046-1D19-4596-979C-511C71B50FEA.jpeg.45feff3ca2ae834a785ca535db3b653c.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Can you point us in the direction of a model that has wider slidebars as a reference?

Mark has shown what can be achieved, and that is in P4, where clearances are extremely tight.

From Jeff Smith's Comet Mogul:

comet-mogul-slidebars.jpg.cfcfa324b9351bffec56554012c144d7.jpg

Here's a quickie suggested 00 clearance sketch - I've made a couple of assumptions on your rod thickness and your crankpin nut thickness, but I don't think I'm too far out, and admittedly the front wheelset sideplay is tighter than most RTR manufacturers are hitherto competent with:

2-cyl-x-section.png.3ab78f2f1f762fe7ef92661f373b8f9a.png

The above clearance is for the generalised GWR 2-cylinder case. For the Manor, the situation is far more generous, because (unlike the Prairie or Mogul) the front crankpin envelope never encounters the rear of the crosshead, and so neither of the dodges of narrowing the slidebar width or moving the piston axis out are necessary.

Double-plus good!

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looking forward to these as I saw quite a few at Tyseley 'back in the day'! 

Also good to see that it does NOT have a coreless motor, I can leave my Relcos on!

I would like 7823 Hook Norton in late crest BR green. Any experts out there help me with the most suitable model to rename/number please?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
additional text
  • Like 2

Very interesting timing with this as the Manor could well be my favourite class and I was almost getting round to preordering a Dapol example, after finding myself pleased that their mogul lived up to my hopes rather than my concerns. I'm sure based on the mogul that will be a fine model when it arrives.

Clearly however this is much further along and really looks the business, capturing the Manor's dainty proportions very nicely. Also, you're offering Erlestoke which I have a particular liking for, having had the benefit of the SVR being my local line until two years ago and experiencing some fantastic runs behind this loco. Personally I'd greatly prefer no white embellishments on the front though if that's being considered.

The other big aspect of the Manor's appeal of course is that thunderous soundtrack, even by GWR loco standards. I usually fit sound myself but could be tempted by a factory fitted version, although have you decided on a source for the sound project yet? I feel like this is one Locoman would do justice to for instance! Regardless, I would consider a nice sharp bark, good spitty vacuum pump and the characteristic hollow roar of the ejector on its own function key to be important, along with a nice transition into a smooth two cylinder thrum at speed instead of every beat trying to stay too defined like on many sound projects.

I notice the specification mentions current collection from the loco's driving wheels and the tender. On the loco will this be achieved using adjustable wipers as per most steam models, or through the axle bearings/bushes? Also, will the motor drive a single axle with drive transmitted through the coupling rods, or will multiple axles be driven through gearing? Not that I would be completely put off by the latter two options, but they both feature in the most troublesome loco chassis I have so I would be less confident preordering if they're the chosen route.

Finally, and it seems mad to be asking this but I will as they're in the spec, are the headboards intended to be possible to carefully fit and remove from the lamp brackets, or would they be a 'glue on if required' job?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rising Standards said:

Clearly however this is much further along and really looks the business, capturing the Manor's dainty proportions very nicely.

Also, will the motor drive a single axle with drive transmitted through the coupling rods, or will multiple axles be driven through gearing?

Finally, and it seems mad to be asking this but I will as they're in the spec, are the headboards intended to be possible to carefully fit and remove from the lamp brackets, or would they be a 'glue on if required' job?

Definitely looks much further along so will be interesting to see what Dapol do. 

If I remember correctly, the video said the rear axle will be driven, and then the coupling rods will do the rest. 

Hopefully they have a small slot on the back so they can be added and removed in a prototypical fashion. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added
  • Like 1

A really interesting announcement, mainly (for me at least) in terms of spec and detail options. As a dyed in the wool NE man, it's not an overly high loco on my wants list, but I'll still be very interested in it's development and reception with a view to future products.  I've a couple of packs of HUOs and they are excellent, and I won't hesitate to add any more A/S products should they drop into my sphere of interest.

I could be tempted by either Manor that I remember having haulage from, Foxcote when it visited the NYMR (Photos below) and Odney a couple of times on the WSR. I know it is easy enough to renumber with etched plates (a bonus of the WR!) But with the wealth of detail differences, I wouldn't know where to start to get it as right as possible! (The perils of highly detailed models!)

FB_IMG_1612250944564.jpg.4cbcf9a29cf64273cbd630b598a05247.jpg

FB_IMG_1612250980348.jpg.87d7db473befcbc3c4daf5211aae6c9b.jpg

One thing that struck me in the description of the drive train was the mention of a three pole motor, is there a reason why this was chosen over a five pole? Not being critical, just curious!

I really enjoyed the launch video, it was well made, and interesting, so well done for that too!

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) developments as they occur, and who knows, I might be tempted yet!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, prtrainman said:

Hopefully Dapol will give up on their Manor and move on to a Southern U class to cut their losses.

I’m hoping they pass on the Manor as well but it depends if they have completed the tooling yet or not. 

Flippin’ Heck.  I am not a steam modeller but this has substantially raised the bar.

The video is inspired and I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of model and prototype shots.  It was also good to see Mike explaining the use of the Manors as ‘support’ locos to early diesels.

Well done to all involved.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Let's hope the 'wonderfully smooth operating motor' will get a wonderfully realistic gear ratio. I feel the 'Gearing arranged so locomotive can achieve a scale top speed of 90 mph' is inappropriate. Manors ran out of puff above 40mph...

Only until BR sorted out the mistakes made by the GWR. I've seen 7802 in preservation doing a good 80 on the main line. The driver was retiring the following day AIUI!

Maybe there should be different gear ratios according to livery..:devil:

John

• RMweb Gold

Here's a thought: RTR models and engineering drawing of locos always represent flat sheets of metal as perfectly flat, er that is to say, planar.

But in the real world they never are. Look at any of the photos above - the sides of the tenders have subtle bulges and ripples that show up most when the paintwork is shiny and angle of photo acute.

So how about reproducing that in the model? The scans will have picked it up, won't they?