Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

59 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Wouldn’t it be lovely to see a Saint Class modelled—a  long history, not yet over, with masses of variations, or is someone already planning it?

Or maybe 2 or 3 are already planning it, for another round of dueling EP samples...

9 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Right now I'm trying to hold back on pre-ordering another one, but I doubt it'll work as the Manors are my favorite GWR 4-6-0 (Ten Wheeler for peoplw from the states, like myself, even though I never used that term till recently).

Same here. Already got 7812 on order with sound. I never buy multiples of the same class but I think I can make an exception for another Manor.

Just waiting to see what the Erlestoke Manor Fund are going to announce.

2 hours ago, 60800 said:

It's difficult with steam without stepping on people's toes, but I'd quite like to see Accurascale tackle a rebuilt BB/WC or a Merchant Navy. I can see Hornby doing the latter fairly soon, but I reckon the BB/WC is an open goal.

Despite this, please, please do a Black 5 - It's very sorely needed.

Cheers,

All three are done to pretty high standards, I really can't see a need for Accurascale to waste their money there.

Is there really such an untapped need for wishlisting that it has to be done on someone's product page before they've even got that model out?

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

Is there really such an untapped need for wishlisting that it has to be done on someone's product page before they've even got that model out?

Apparently not with the amount of people who've agreed with you. Oh well, really excited for the Manor anyway. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Same here. Already got 7812 on order with sound. I never buy multiples of the same class but I think I can make an exception for another Manor.

Just waiting to see what the Erlestoke Manor Fund are going to announce.

Ironically enough, Erlestoke Manor is the one I pre-ordered as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

All three are done to pretty high standards, I really can't see a need for Accurascale to waste their money there.

Not so long ago at a Hornby Roadshow, I was told that older models In the range were subject to continual evaluation and improvement.

This has certainly been the case for the Duchess/Coronation (Both streamline and conventional build) class, the Princess and the King, which have all been brought up to today's expectations/standard

The Rebuilt Merchant Navy, Stanier 8f and to a lesser extent the Black 5 are all long overdue for a revamp.

If Accurascale were to do any of the above, I'm of the opinion they would have full order books for such locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Tooling up a Black 5 with a suite of tools that could cover all of the major variants has got to be as safe an investment as anything can be in Model Railways.  Even if Hornby retooled theirs there is room in the market for another manufacturer and if Accurascale aim for the higher specification end of the market I think most of us would follow them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

On 13/02/2021 at 08:04, Craigw said:

I would have thought if they were going to do another GWR loco that a Bulldog or 850 class (saddle tank and pannier) would be a far better option than duplication.

Craig W

I have always wondered why Bachmann haven't commited themselves to doing a Bulldog, they already have half the job done given they have the chassis for them, all they have to do is work on what's above it.

I think you are on the money with an 850/1901 Class as it is a locomotive that could span a wide time period that would suit many GWR modellers, their widescale usage would find them suitable for any layout.

Edited by David Stannard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, David Stannard said:

........... what is the minimum radius curve that the model can negotiate before the need to remove the plates that cover the cutouts in the cylinders.

This could be a deal breaker for me, at my viewing distance of 17in and eye level at 8in from trackbed, on my 2 to 2.5 radius curves looking at existing models, the cut-out would be large enough to be visible and look odd.  Dapol appear to have the solution maybe Accurca. could tweak somehow, also as mentioned in earlier posts would moving a wheel by 0.5mm be noticeable. It may mean I would have to go with Dapol esp. as the gearing will now be 30:1. but are those gears metal or plastic? Decisions, decisions.  

Interesting Dapol rushed out their Manor a few days after Accura.  Guess no one here new how far Dapol had progressed.

Edited by Guest
Added info. & spelling

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

"rushed"?

To clarify, I meant Dapol's announcement on Feb 8th they probably rushed released details out to let peeps know how far they had got after Accura's. press release on 1st, even having a running one, the first reply on this thread said Accura. ahead by @ 18mths.  Will have to see if Accura. replies to David Stannard's post, 3 posts back, as that would help on the cut-outs for a lot of us.

Edited by Guest
spelling

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, confused said:

This could be a deal breaker for me, at my viewing distance of 17in and eye level at 8in from trackbed, on my 2 to 2.5 radius curves looking at existing models, the cut-out would be large enough to be visible and look odd.  Dapol appear to have the solution maybe Accurca. could tweak somehow, also as mentioned in earlier posts would moving a wheel by 0.5mm be noticeable. It may mean I would have to go with Dapol esp. as the gearing will now be 30:1. but are those gears metal or plastic? Decisions, decisions.  

Interesting Dapol rushed out their Manor a few days after Accura.  Guess no one here new how far Dapol had progressed.

TBH, with a viewpoint that close, I'd spot something odd on almost everything I've ever bought..... 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, David Stannard said:

Accurascale Fran,

Can you please tell me what is the minimum radius curve that the model can negotiate before the need to remove the plates that cover the cutouts in the cylinders.

Hi @David Stannard,

We’re conducting testing on this once the sample finally reaches us and looking at ways around avoiding the cut outs. I will have more clear answers on this area post Chinese New Year in early March. Apologies that I cannot be more helpful at this time but we will be able to give a much clearer answer in a few weeks time.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

"rushed"?

It didn't look that way in the photos, though.

I think we may have a proper contest developing here, which should be more interesting than trying to spot which Terrier is a bit less compromised than the other....

John

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, confused said:

To clarify, I meant Dapol's announcement on Feb 8th they probably rushed released details out to let peeps know how far they had got after Accura's. press release on 1st, even having a running one, the first reply on this thread said Accura. ahead by @ 18mths.  Will have to see if Accura. replies to David Stannard's post, 3 posts back, as that would help on the cut-outs for a lot of us.

The first reply was clearly pure speculation with no facts to back it up, Dapol didn't give any indication of how far along they were when they announced a year ago. I think it is purely coincidental timing, they have a fully assembled and running EP, they are not going to keep that under their hat.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

OK... I am convinced. I have now ditched my Dapol plan and pre-ordered an Accuracscale Erlestoke Manor with sound fitted. Great way of buying locos this - I now feel that I have a new loco on the way but don't need to pay for it until the end of the year! :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/02/2021 at 15:25, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers @classy52

On 18/02/2021 at 15:25, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers @classy52

Hello Fran   would you kindly comment /confirm that the driving axle diameter of the eagerly awaited Manor will  be 3 mm ?

Thinking ahead to buying Gibson’s or Ultrascale’s .

Thanks

Ken 

1 minute ago, 1466 said:

Hello Fran   would you kindly comment /confirm that the driving axle diameter of the eagerly awaited Manor will  be 3 mm ?

Thinking ahead to buying Gibson’s or Ultrascale’s .

Thanks

Ken 

Sorry , I should have added . No criticism intended of your product , thinking of EM conversion .

Ken 

Have not read everything in the past 13 pages, so apologises if raising something that has already been touched upon.

The gap of the loco to tender coupling is usually something totally out of scale. Hattons with their failed 00 King were proposing a swing link as used on coaches. Is anything of that sort proposed here.

I have a couple on order so will obviously be happy either way

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Devonauto said:

Have not read everything in the past 13 pages, so apologises if raising something that has already been touched upon.

The gap of the loco to tender coupling is usually something totally out of scale. Hattons with their failed 00 King were proposing a swing link as used on coaches. Is anything of that sort proposed here.

I have a couple on order so will obviously be happy either way

Correct! The tender/Locomotive are coupled using a kinematic close coupling system, that will tolerate train set radii but which will pull the gap fully closed on the straight.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I realised yesterday that I may have made a mistake... I concentrate on interwar GWR and I have pre-ordered 7808 Cookham Manor in shirtbutton livery. OK, so at least I got the basics right, she did exist pre-war and she has the right livery, but I gather that the model represents her in preserved condition, very much post-war.

So my question is, what are the visible differences in Cookham Manor as preserved and in pre-war condition? (Chimney???) Or to put it another way, will the model pass on a pre-war layout? Or to put it yet another way, do I need to change my order?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2