Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Although there is a well known photo it would seem that it only ran with that tender for a very short time indeed and probably not even for all of the time it was at Gloucester.  it still had a 3,500 gallon tender earlier in 1964 and it was reportedly withdrawn with one.

Presumably that’s the 65 photo at Leamington with ore tipplers Mike? 

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I saw it several times with the 4k gallon tender, a frequent visitor to Cardiff Tidal or Long Dyke, and of course East Dock shed.  I thought the loco and tender looked very well proportioned with each other. 

A 4K tender? That’s must of been very High Definition lol

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Presumably that’s the 65 photo at Leamington with ore tipplers Mike? 

No Phil, it's a picture taken in the Cardiff area -Long Dyke I think.  The tender appears to have been coupled to it when it was at Gloucester but reportedly  didn't stay with it for very long.

On 29/03/2021 at 11:29, Mark said:

The Mainline Manor and Mogul had two screw link couplings for the front. One hung up and the other hanging down in the accessory pack so I would suggest they were first 40 years ago.

Mark

Interesting. Neither of my Mainline Moguls or Manor came with them. Or the Bachmann ones either.!

Cheers Trailrage 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

No Phil, it's a picture taken in the Cardiff area -Long Dyke I think.  The tender appears to have been coupled to it when it was at Gloucester but reportedly  didn't stay with it for very long.

I think it’s taken from the ‘Black Bridge’, a truss girder footbridge about 100 yards the Newport side of the Windsor Road bridge, and is at, as Mike says, the ‘throat’ of Long Dyke yard. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/04/2021 at 11:02, Dunsignalling said:

7802 certainly ran with a 4000g tender whilst on the main line,

Yeah if I remember rightly they swapped the tender for Erlestokes when 7812 went in for overhaul. But I really like Brad with the larger tender though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Yeah if I remember rightly they swapped the tender for Erlestokes when 7812 went in for overhaul. But I really like Brad with the larger tender though.

You get less wet tender first with the bigger one, however the society wanted both to have smaller tenders to be accurate. 

It will be nice just to get a manor back, they are both good reliable engines. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

You get less wet tender first with the bigger one, however the society wanted both to have smaller tenders to be accurate. 

It will be nice just to get a manor back, they are both good reliable engines. 

And ideal power for the larger preserved lines. Thank goodness for the luck which meant they were all lined up at Shrewsbury and went to Barry when they finI shed. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Dinmore Manor said:

Good to meet you all and glad you enjoyed your day with our fine machine, please excuse the very slight bias.....!

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/DinmoreManorLocomotiveLtd

No excuse necessary Mike! Good to meet up with you all, and thank you for your hospitality...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Minding Our Manors - Fully Tooled First Sample Revealed!

Accurascale-Manor-EP1-01.jpg.6c72b4452042e043485188b6564e802e.jpg

We announced our first steam locomotive project, the GWR 78xx Manor Class 4-6-0 tender locomotives, back in early February and showed an early test shot of the completed tooling. Since that announcement we have made further progress, and can now show off a fully tooled sample with detail parts and etchings in place.

Accurascale-Manor-EP1-05.jpg.918ca6d8c6280c626a1a2bb2a3ebdcff.jpg

Of course, the first sample is a process of evaluating and assessing the tooling, and looking at what improvements can be made to the design. Check out the latest news on the Manor here including more images: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/minding-our-manors-fully-tooled-first-sample-revealed

We're seeing strong sales under some liveries (BR late crest green, BR lined Black and GWR Monogram) so thank you to everyone who has ordered so far! 

Cheers,

Fran

Quite stunning. The etched whistle deflector, and the bogie front end detail stand out in particular in these pics.

My one comment is the top row of 'lozenged shaped' rivets on the curved running plate section. I know the challenge here is the release of the casting from the tool, but the rivets are just too big, wrong shape and just look odd - like a row of staples. For me this really spoils the look of this area.

Nearly every other manufacturer of GWR locos has missed this row of rivets off for the same reason, and I think this would be the best path for Accurascale to follow as well. If someone really misses them they can add rivet resin decals more easily than filing off the oversized heads and touching up the paint (which given the presence of other rivet and panel detail, would be near impossible, and after which rivet decals would be needed anyway).

Sometime it is better to have no deail than overscale detail, especially when evaluated in terms of ability for a modeller to correct errors or omissions....!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Quite stunning. The etched whistle deflector, and the bogie front end detail stand out in particular in these pics.

My one comment is the top row of 'lozenged shaped' rivets on the curved running plate section. I know the challenge here is the release of the casting from the tool, but the rivets are just too big, wrong shape and just look odd - like a row of staples. For me this really spoils the look of this area.

Nearly every other manufacturer of GWR locos has missed this row of rivets off for the same reason, and I think this would be the best path for Accurascale to follow as well. If someone really misses them they can add rivet resin decals more easily than filing off the oversized heads and touching up the paint (which given the presence of other rivet and panel detail, would be near impossible, and after which rivet decals would be needed anyway).

Sometime it is better to have no deail than overscale detail, especially when evaluated in terms of ability for a modeller to correct errors or omissions....!

Hi @G-BOAF,

As stated in the blog, we are sorting the rivets. Appreciate the kind words!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking promising. One issue apart from the rivet tears across the top of the front is the footplate above the cylinders which should extend slightly beyond the curves of the footplate either side to leave a characteristic edge. However reading the text this is already in the upgrade list!

The handrail around the cab window has an additional support under the corner radius.

Another feature that everybody misses is the position of the boiler band bolt on the leading band behind the smokebox which is around the 7-8 O’ clock position looking rearward.

The boiler band bolt on the top of the second band back from the smokebox appears to have been moved there in BR days. Early pictures don’t show it. I suspect it was originally at bottom dead centre.

The ATC conduit looks a bit odd at the mounting brackets.

No doubt more things will come to light!

9C60B14B-87F4-4DFA-BE86-CF0F3D7F2A3C.jpeg

4E6844EB-470D-407F-AA97-AF9E9735F2F7.jpeg

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Great to read the slidebars have been widened a bit.

Some comments:

- smokebox darts seem a tad too long
- tender front handrail could be a bit thicker
- cab side windows look unconvincing to me (can the glazing prism fit 'behind' the brass surround?)

Great to see a late Collett underframe on the tender, although I can't recall seeing a Manor with one of those (I've no doubt there were few occasions where those tenders were used).

Boiler fittings are excellent.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Great to read the slidebars have been widened a bit.

Some comments:

- smokebox darts seem a tad too long
- tender front handrail could be a bit thicker
- cab side windows look unconvincing to me (can the glazing prism fit 'behind' the brass surround?)

Great to see a late Collett underframe on the tender, although I can't recall seeing a Manor with one of those (I've no doubt there were few occasions where those tenders were used).

Boiler fittings are excellent.

The smoke box door handles definitely look too long to me and they appear to be of the same length whereas the screw (outer) handle is slightly shorter than the fixed (inner) handle.

I'm not too sure about the lance cock but it's tiny and difficult to see the detail in the photo.

485056182_131853copy.jpg.7c7b29cff271c61eb1ccbe162060679a.jpg

I think the tender leading handrail is right for thickness and it enters the footplate in the correct place - i.e. not in line with the leading edge of the tender body.  This is.a feature that is frequently wrong on models of these tenders so it's good to see that Accurascale have got it right.

And yes the glazing prism is a bit too obvious especially when compared with the attention to detail elsewhere on the model but understandably it might not be a simple task to rectify it and producea part that can be reliably assembled.

I've dropped Islesy a PM about the tender underframe and a couple of minor things

131853 copy.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Minding Our Manors - Fully Tooled First Sample Revealed!

Accurascale-Manor-EP1-01.jpg.6c72b4452042e043485188b6564e802e.jpg

We announced our first steam locomotive project, the GWR 78xx Manor Class 4-6-0 tender locomotives, back in early February and showed an early test shot of the completed tooling. Since that announcement we have made further progress, and can now show off a fully tooled sample with detail parts and etchings in place.

Accurascale-Manor-EP1-05.jpg.918ca6d8c6280c626a1a2bb2a3ebdcff.jpg

Of course, the first sample is a process of evaluating and assessing the tooling, and looking at what improvements can be made to the design. Check out the latest news on the Manor here including more images: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/minding-our-manors-fully-tooled-first-sample-revealed

We're seeing strong sales under some liveries (BR late crest green, BR lined Black and GWR Monogram) so thank you to everyone who has ordered so far! 

Cheers,

Fran

Absolutely fantastic job!! Not bad for a first EP and it looks like Accurascale will be knocking their first steam loco right outta the park. Well done @Accurascale Fran @McC @Islesy and the rest of the Accurascale team.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1