Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

As far as I know (which isn't very much), the Erlestoke Manor Fund seems to have a Collett 4000g, for 7802, and a vanilla snap-head riveted Churchward 3500g, for 7812.

In its day, 7812 also ran with a Collett 3500g 3000g:

7812-collett3500g.jpg.5935b61c8e6cb1dfd936aaf4e7fb2a9c.jpg

So, if I get both I'll need to source a suitably painted and detailed Collett 4000 gallon tender. Accurascale doesn't seem to be tooling up for this (unless I've read wrong) so what's my best option for an RTR loco to scrounge a spare on eBay from? 

Cheers,

13 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

But why would anyone do that?

To move it, to steam it maybe? There's a picture around somewhere of, I think, a Grange or a Hall at Swindon with a BR standard tender behind it. 

Justin

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hornbys Castle is magnificent, the Grange yes it is now 15+ years old but still looks great. The County definitely needs seriously upgraded. 

My comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.  :) You're right about the Castle, I have one and I'm very pleased. As I've mentioned elsewhere on RMWeb my Granges must have been Friday afternoon jobs because they've needed pulling apart and various faults attended to before they would run properly. The County is an open goal for someone... The 57xx was mentioned, high time for a modern attempt...

As many have said there are plenty more ideas for future 'greenfield' products. Good wishes to any manufacturer who takes them on.

4 minutes ago, 60800 said:

So, if I get both I'll need to source a suitably painted and detailed Collett 4000 gallon tender. Accurascale doesn't seem to be tooling up for this (unless I've read wrong) so what's my best option for an RTR loco to scrounge a spare on eBay from?

Both Hornby (Castles) and Bachmann (Halls) do Collett 4000g tenders. (So does Heljan, but I don't like the look of it.) Whether you'll get one that exactly matches the one behind 7802 I don't know without looking at the frame.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

accurascale-platform-front.jpg.47fe7b64d81250d7ddc65264b6250e9a.jpg

accurascale-platform-front2.jpg.47fca9b8b6a92eb5d9e015a21246a96f.jpg

Hmmm. Teardrop vertical rivets or round perpendiculars - a tricky tooling decision!

Drawing issue no doubt. These things are quite easy to miss! The number of times early in my career when I did a design got it perfect on the screen and then watched all the mistakes present themselves as I watched the A0 printout!

Another quite noticeable item is the overhang of the footplate above the rivets which is missing in this iteration.

Mark

Edited by Mark

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

I guess you missed the whole Bachmann vs Hattons issue over the class 66 then.

Yes I guess I did, I don't really follow diesels much. What I did see was Hornby throwing toys out of the pram and releasing their Railroad 66 in competing liveries to Hattons at the time. The 66 was hardly an exclusive to Bachmann when Hattons announced theirs. I've still no sympathy for them and happy to see Accurascale pick up the gauntlet for the Manor.

Edited by 57xx
Speeling

31 minutes ago, McC said:

"...new engines were all partnered with secondhand tenders, usually Churchward 3,500gal types of various vintages, with at least one of the first 20 gaining a tender dating from 1903."

The first Churchward 3500g units were June 1905.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

"...new engines were all partnered with secondhand tenders, usually Churchward 3,500gal types of various vintages, with at least one of the first 20 gaining a tender dating from 1903."

The first Churchward 3500g units were June 1905.

Sorry if the piece is unclear on that point, but it states that one manor got a tender dating from 1903, rather than a Churchward (which was most typical)

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Don't think this has been posted as yet but there is some good information here from The Accurascale team visitingthe GWS at Didcot to scan and measure 7808 "Cookham Manor"

Didcot is a really nice place to scan things.

image.png.270dee038e50c0e476206ef8679c44e9.png

Missy :)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Now that is even more intriguing. I suppose it could have been an ex-Dean 4000g.

According to Peto's Register, 7804 was partnered with tender 1560 of lot A55, blt. 1903. The same tender was also used with Manors 7810 and 7822. The tender was (I think) a Dean 3,000gal type originally built for GWR 4-6-0 prototype No. 98, later named VANGUARD, later 2998

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

56 minutes ago, McC said:

According to Peto's Register, 7804 was partnered with tender 1560 of lot A55, blt. 1903. The same tender was also used with Manors 7810 and 7822. The tender was (I think) a Dean 3,000gal type originally built for GWR 4-6-0 prototype No. 98, later named VANGUARD, later 2998

Ah ha! Tender 1560 was a one-off Dean 4000g. Here it is, heavily rebuilt, although thought still to be 4000g capacity, behind Hall 4915 (for a mid-1930s 3-year stint):

http://www.gwr.org.uk/tenders/4915-tender-large.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Fran,

Can you please say how the body of the vacuum pump will be attached to the loco? If it is attached to the bottom of the running plate isn't there a danger that the pump spindle could be bent or otherwise damaged when the loco. body is separated from the chassis (as I presume of course is intended to be possible)?

Some years ago I had a model of a GW loco. with such a vacuum pump mounting arrangement (I can't now recall the manufacturer) and it was very difficult to separate body from chassis without bending the spindle. I am not sure how other manufacturers now deal with installation of the same type of vacuum pump on their models.

Thanks.

Colin

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Couldn't resist a look at 18000 when we surveyed Cookham Manor myself @missy was always a loco on my bucket list to see. 

Cheers!

Fran

It would be even nicer if you'd scanned one of these whilst you were there.;)

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/119/no-111-collett-full-brake

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Fran,

Can you please say how the body of the vacuum pump will be attached to the loco? If it is attached to the bottom of the running plate isn't there a danger that the pump spindle could be bent or otherwise damaged when the loco. body is separated from the chassis (as I presume of course is intended to be possible)?

Some years ago I had a model of a GW loco. with such a vacuum pump mounting arrangement (I can't now recall the manufacturer) and it was very difficult to separate body from chassis without bending the spindle. I am not sure how other manufacturers now deal with installation of the same type of vacuum pump on their models.

Thanks.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for your query.

The only way to fit it is to fit it to the frame I'm afraid! However, with a bit of care and the valve gear in the correct location it will be okay to remove with relative ease. It's a metal part so should be somewhat robust to bending unlike a plastic part.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Drawing issue no doubt. These things are quite easy to miss! The number of times early in my career when I did a design got it perfect on the screen and then watched all the mistakes present themselves as I watched the A0 printout!

Another quite noticeable item is the overhang of the footplate above the rivets which is missing in this iteration.

Mark

:D

I can totally relate to that. No matter how long you stare at the screen and examine everything in close-up / zoomed-in detail, you'll never see the error.

It's only after the plot starts coming off the printer that it immediately stands-out.

• Agree 1