Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

1 hour ago, McC said:

According to Peto's Register, 7804 was partnered with tender 1560 of lot A55, blt. 1903. The same tender was also used with Manors 7810 and 7822. 

In the Laurence Waters 'Great Western Manor Class' book, tender 1560 is reported to have been used behind 7802.

(Both Waters and Peto agree on 7810 and 7822.)

This is a most excellent announcement, and one that just seems to make so much sense.  A popular loco that appeals to modellers of both the historic GWR & BR scenes plus contemporary preserved lines alike. I can’t wait to see these iconic locos get the Accurascale treatment. I’m certainly going to order 7819 in GWR green, and perhaps one in Shirtbutton too. Though one request; please, please get the rendition of GWR green right! More Bachmann/Dapol’s rich middle-chrome green; and less Hornby’s chalky/blue green! 

That said, I do feel sorry for Dapol; that’s twice they’ve been gazumped on Western locos by other manufacturers. It’s a shame as their recent mogul is a great bit of kit. 

Interesting comment from Fran on ruling out GWR toplight coaches. The thoughts of the manufacturers on making these coaches RTR has always seen much conjecture but never anything definitive, until now. I think Fran’s comments have firmly put the prospect of RTR toplights to bed, at least until 3d print technology matures. 

Given they were at Didcot, any chance the Accurascale team measured up the Collett sunshine coaches? They were much more consistent in build and variations during their lifetimes, were a GWR/BR(WR) staple from the 1930s to the 1960s, travelled quite widely on inter-regionals, and exist in good numbers in preservation (Didcot, SVR and SDR all operate them), so how about it? Bachmann have consistently failed to re-tool theirs, so... ;)

CoY 

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for your query.

The only way to fit it is to fit it to the frame I'm afraid! However, with a bit of care and the valve gear in the correct location it will be okay to remove with relative ease. It's a metal part so should be somewhat robust to bending unlike a plastic part.

Cheers!

Fran

Fran,

Many thanks for your prompt and honest (if blunt!) response to my enquiry. Clearly one will have to ensure that the pump spindle is in its most forward position before attempting removal of the body from the chassis.

I have been following your company's progress on this website for several months now and have to say that I have become increasingly impressed with its efforts, in particular its willingness to engage with its punters. Although not a diesel man I have been amazed at the quality of the samples of the Deltic and class 37 locos. I was praying Accurascale would start manufacturing steam loco models and the fact that not only has it done so but has now selected the Manor as its first venture has caused all my Christmases to come at once! The company saw a gap in the market (albeit an obvious one), quietly got on with its preparations and did not panic when one of its competitors announced a similar project. Having seen the photos of the tooling produced so far I can well see why there was no need for panic. Put a half decent motor in and slap a nice coat of paint on this model and I wouldn't be surprised if it is voted as one of the best, if not the best, rtr  4mm steam loco ever produced.

Keep up the good work!

Colin (absolutely no connection with Accurascale)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Fran,

Many thanks for your prompt and honest (if blunt!) response to my enquiry. Clearly one will have to ensure that the pump spindle is in its most forward position before attempting removal of the body from the chassis.

I have been following your company's progress on this website for several months now and have to say that I have become increasingly impressed with its efforts, in particular its willingness to engage with its punters. Although not a diesel man I have been amazed at the quality of the samples of the Deltic and class 37 locos. I was praying Accurascale would start manufacturing steam loco models and the fact that not only has it done so but has now selected the Manor as its first venture has caused all my Christmases to come at once! The company saw a gap in the market (albeit an obvious one), quietly got on with its preparations and did not panic when one of its competitors announced a similar project. Having seen the photos of the tooling produced so far I can well see why there was no need for panic. Put a half decent motor in and slap a nice coat of paint on this model and I wouldn't be surprised if it is voted as one of the best, if not the best, rtr  4mm steam loco ever produced.

Keep up the good work!

Colin (absolutely no connection with Accurascale)

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for your kind words and sincerest apologies if I came across blunt (or rude). It's been a long and busy week, so very sorry about that and I hope I didnt cause any offence. 

We're really excited about the Manor and other future projects in steam in the years to come. There will be other diesels, electrics etc too, but steam is absolutely part of our future plans. The Manor is a very exciting first steam project and we are keen to do these lovely locos justice.

Cheers! 

Fran 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for your kind words and sincerest apologies if I came across blunt (or rude). It's been a long and busy week, so very sorry about that and I hope I didnt cause any offence. 

We're really excited about the Manor and other future projects in steam in the years to come. There will be other diesels, electrics etc too, but steam is absolutely part of our future plans. The Manor is a very exciting first steam project and we are keen to do these lovely locos justice.

Cheers! 

Fran 

Fran,

You certainly didn't come over as rude and I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was offended as I certainly wasn't - I was just joking!  Anyway I would always prefer that people call a spade a bleeding shovel! It is far better to have frank and honest responses to one's questions unlike evasive ones which I have received in the past from others.

Don't work too hard!

Best,

Colin

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Fran,

You certainly didn't come over as rude and I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was offended as I certainly wasn't - I was just joking!  Anyway I would always prefer that people call a spade a bleeding shovel! It is far better to have frank and honest responses to one's questions unlike evasive ones which I have received in the past from others.

Don't work too hard!

Best,

Colin

Cheers Colin, no worries! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

There will be other diesels, electrics etc too, but steam is absolutely part of our future plans.

Does this mean we may finally get classes 81-84? That would be perfect. 

If you wanted to push the boat out and do a new Eurostar then I'd take a decent sized set in GNER livery please! It does make me wonder what the market for that would be, despite Hornby's odd re-release of their very lacking tooling. 

I really would love to see you guys go ahead with the 89, I just wish Rails would make their mind up on it.

Cheers,

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Does this mean we may finally get classes 81-84? That would be perfect. 

I really would love to see you guys go ahead with the 89, I just wish Rails would make their mind up on it.

Cheers,

I have to agree strongly with that. Imagine! Electrics doing push ups all over the layout!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2021 at 16:19, Accurascale Fran said:

Couldn't resist a look at 18000 when we surveyed Cookham Manor myself @missy was always a loco on my bucket list to see. 

Cheers!

Fran

The sad thing about 18000 is you can look straight through it, especially at the bottom centre of the body.

Sadly 7808’s tender is heading the same way.

I will say good luck with this, as these steamy things can be difficult due to lack of information. How many times has information about a loco or such come up after the expensive moulds have been done? 

So, not my thing, but wishing you well.

PS-I would have thought you would have pushed the modelling world forward with one of the many 0-6-0 locos with moving inside motion. That would have me buying one just to see it working.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

I will say good luck with this, as these steamy things can be difficult due to lack of information. How many times has information about a loco or such come up after the expensive moulds have been done? 

So, not my thing, but wishing you well.

PS-I would have thought you would have pushed the modelling world forward with one of the many 0-6-0 locos with moving inside motion. That would have me buying one just to see it working.

I don't think there's any chance of that in 4mm r-t-r until somebody has made it work in 7mm r-t-r.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2021 at 12:42, Miss Prism said:

Strangely, for such a small quantity of Number 14 boilers, there are two variants for the washout plug line - 'high' and 'low'.

manor-fireboxes.png.6255a47ce6bea227941de3a81e898e86.png

Very probably pre-war, and post-war.  Something like the break in lot numbers.  Also, there was a change in CME, from Collet to Hawksworth.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Very probably pre-war, and post-war.  Something like the break in lot numbers. 

Yes, that seems the most likely explanation, in which case the 'high line' variant, which forms a clear majority, is the GWR version of the firebox.

• Agree 1

On 06/02/2021 at 12:42, Miss Prism said:

Strangely, for such a small quantity of Number 14 boilers, there are two variants for the washout plug line - 'high' and 'low'.

manor-fireboxes.png.6255a47ce6bea227941de3a81e898e86.png

For those intending to model preserved locos in their present day condition, all but one 78XX carry 1938 built boilers which is the one Accurascale are tooling I believe.

The exception is 7827 which carries a 1950 built boiler, hence modelling this in preserved condition is difficult.

7819, 7820 and 7821 are currently coupled to tenders that they aren't tooling up (completely fair enough, they're all different). Also 7802 is difficult to model in the condition it has run for the majority of its preserved life because of the Collett 4000g tender.

7822 has a bit of a hybrid tender with the top fenders rivetted and the rest flush.

Having done a bit of research I'm hoping to use the table illustrated as donor locos for my preserved modelling. Hope this helps anyone else, and if I've made any mistakes please correct me!

Screenshot_20210207-202020_Sheets.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, SebWelsh said:

No, 7821 has what I would describe as a hybrid tender too in preservation.

http://www.ten.rhrp.org.uk/tens/TenderInfo.asp?Ref=332

Apologies. Another thing with the preserved Manors is the vastly differing shades of  green between them,  quite often noticeable when two are together; not all that surprising as WIlliamsons have around a dozen and a half differing shades of GW green given each loco owners desires.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, SebWelsh said:

For those intending to model preserved locos in their present day condition, all but one 78XX carry 1938 built boilers which is the one Accurascale are tooling I believe.

The exception is 7827 which carries a 1950 built boiler, hence modelling this in preserved condition is difficult.

7819, 7820 and 7821 are currently coupled to tenders that they aren't tooling up (completely fair enough, they're all different). Also 7802 is difficult to model in the condition it has run for the majority of its preserved life because of the Collett 4000g tender.

7822 has a bit of a hybrid tender with the top fenders rivetted and the rest flush.

Having done a bit of research I'm hoping to use the table illustrated as donor locos for my preserved modelling. Hope this helps anyone else, and if I've made any mistakes please correct me!

Screenshot_20210207-202020_Sheets.jpg

For 7802 and 7812 you can just buy those locos, swap the tender bodies over so that 7812 is correct and then source a Hall / Castle tender for 7802.

Sadly for me that's as far as I'll be going preserved wise with the first batch, unless I get 7814 and change it's chimney to do 7820 circa 2015 which is my preference over the rest of the class.

@Accurascale Fran Will you be stocking spares that would allow me to do a chimney or tender body swap? 

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 60800 said:

For 7802 and 7812 you can just buy those locos, swap the tender bodies over so that 7812 is correct and then source a Hall / Castle tender for 7802.

Sadly for me that's as far as I'll be going preserved wise with the first batch, unless I get 7814 and change it's chimney to do 7820 circa 2015 which is my preference over the rest of the class.

@Accurascale Fran Will you be stocking spares that would allow me to do a chimney or tender body swap? 

Cheers,

Hi @60800,

We will carry a healthy array of warranty parts for all our locos (and currently do so with our wagons) but we can look into parts for sale too if demand is sufficient. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1