Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold

We’d recommend it would be better to order 7801 Anthony Manor and put a  new name and number plates on it - there are too many differences between the pre and post 1952 examples to consider backdating them really. Hope that helps!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi everyone,

I realised yesterday that I may have made a mistake... I concentrate on interwar GWR and I have pre-ordered 7808 Cookham Manor in shirtbutton livery. OK, so at least I got the basics right, she did exist pre-war and she has the right livery, but I gather that the model represents her in preserved condition, very much post-war.

So my question is, what are the visible differences in Cookham Manor as preserved and in pre-war condition? (Chimney???) Or to put it another way, will the model pass on a pre-war layout? Or to put it yet another way, do I need to change my order?

The chimney is the re-draughted version as 7808 represents when she was re-liveried by the GWS, so I don't think it'd work on a GWR layout as the chimney isn't the pre-1952 version.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

When built, Cookham had a fat chimney but did not have a lubricator cover on the left-hand side. Not sure what frames its tender(s) had pre-war, but I note Accurascale's G W R versions all come with narrow hornguide tenders, which makes sense.

None of the first batch of engines had an oil pipe cover on the left hand side of the smokebos/boiler cladding with the boiler in its original condition.  It is not absolutely clear when the change took place or even if it occurred with the post-war batch of boilers as originally used and it is best tracked using dated photos.  As far as I'm aware it is not absolutely clear if the change accompanied re-draughting but it would have been logical if it did but that might not have been the case.  However seems that all the engines finished up with the cover added on the left hand side but again it is something which can only - at this distance in time - be traced from photos.  

There was another change associated with the addition of the cover on the left hand side but it was very subtle and I doubt if many people would know what to look for or where to look for it so it would be difficult to criticise that it has not been made on a particular engine.  I know about it and so does the designer but it would be going beyond the nth degree in very extreme detail modelling terms to precisely reproduce that subtle variation especially in view of the fact that the overwhelming majority of people will never notice it even if they know where to look.  The Accurascale model goes a lot further than most other r-t-r models in trying to capture the sort of details which have never before appeared on an r-t-r loco in 4mm scale and the representation of the bogie, and the tender variants, offered are cases in point in that respect.

As already pointed the left hand oil pipe cover is correct for Accurascale's model of  'Cookham Manor' because it  is being produced in 'as preserved condition' although for very sensible reasons it does not reproduce one much later, and very awkward, change made after various areas of (not normally visible) plate work  began to deteriorate.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/02/2021 at 22:16, McC said:

We’d recommend it would be better to order 7801 Anthony Manor and put a  new name and number plates on it - there are too many differences between the pre and post 1952 examples to consider backdating them really. Hope that helps!

I’m trying to decide which one to preorder...would like to create Bradley Manor in late crest lined green in 1962 condition as operating on the Cambrian. Which would you say is the best donor loco?

Thanks. 

I emailed Accurascale and they confirmed that the model will come with the modelled coupling "hooked across" to the little hook bolted to the buffer mounting bolt.  This is wonderful news and yet another first for Accurascale.  I can only hope they will sell this coupling as a spare or product in it's own right, I need a bucket full for my GWR fleet.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/03/2021 at 09:49, MG 7305 said:

I emailed Accurascale and they confirmed that the model will come with the modelled coupling "hooked across" to the little hook bolted to the buffer mounting bolt.  This is wonderful news and yet another first for Accurascale.  I can only hope they will sell this coupling as a spare or product in it's own right, I need a bucket full for my GWR fleet.

I've just glued mine in place on others locos, I'm more concerned about the cut-outs on the cylinders on my min radius of 2.5, perhaps they should do a similar setup to Dapol.  Even viewing others at my min operating distance of 17in. the cut-outs would be seen, likewise I can only see small detail like rivets when their dry brushed rust. 

Er, I meant the one in the middle of the bufferbeam of the real thing see below, not the functional model one that works with other models such as hook and bar etc  (I use Kadee).  All the other RTR manufacturers just supply a "hanging straight down" version which is correct for other, lesser, railways and indeed gets in the way of Kadees and probably others if you fit them.   The radius of curves would, I think, be unlikely to cause interference between the functional model coupling and a properly hung out of use GW coupling as shewn below.

image.png.360aa971649c43090c21dcdfc1f4c661.png

Best regards

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MG 7305 said:

Er, I meant the one in the middle of the bufferbeam of the real thing see below, not the functional model one that works with other models such as hook and bar etc  (I use Kadee).  All the other RTR manufacturers just supply a "hanging straight down" version which is correct for other, lesser, railways and indeed gets in the way of Kadees and probably others if you fit them.   The radius of curves would, I think, be unlikely to cause interference between the functional model coupling and a properly hung out of use GW coupling as shewn below.

Best regards

Julian

The Oxford Dean Goods, has this feature.

1 hour ago, MG 7305 said:

Best regards

Julian

Yes I did mean the one in your pic, none of my tender locos have tension lock as I only drive forward, it would be nice to see the hook modelled, but I just glue on others.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

So does the DJM/Kernow 1361 class.;)1128858236_1363front.jpg.a213f884d2da68e2ea7d0298f556c1a9.jpg

Yes, DJM were the first to do it on an r-t-r 00 model but I'm not going to tell you the name of the person who suggested it to Dave Jones :)   The smokebox numberplate on the BR version of the Accurascale 'Manor' also has a very special feature which also first appeared on a DJM model but again I'm not going to tell you the name of the person who suggested that to DJ ;)   Not will I tell you the name of the person who said to the 'Manor's designer that it should incorporate such detail features ;)

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes, DJM were the first to do it on an r-t-r 00 model but I'm not going to tell you the name of the person who suggested it to Dave Jones :)   The smokebox numberplate on the BR version of the Accurascale 'Manor' also has a very special feature which also first appeared on a DJM model but again I'm not going to tell you the name of the person who suggested that to DJ ;)   Not will I tell you the name of the person who said to the 'Manor's designer that it should incorporate such detail features ;)

The Mainline Manor and Mogul had two screw link couplings for the front. One hung up and the other hanging down in the accessory pack so I would suggest they were first 40 years ago.

Mark

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

First post in this thread says Q4 2021...

Working samples are being evaluated now, with decorated refined samples expected soon, once all is well, assembly will commence. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark said:

The Mainline Manor and Mogul had two screw link couplings for the front. One hung up and the other hanging down in the accessory pack so I would suggest they were first 40 years ago.

Mark

Interesting - maybe it was a later tooling change>.  i have just checked the 'Manor' in the wooden cased 'Cambriam Coast Express' preseentation pack and it very definitely has not got the hook below the buffer plank immediately adjacent the buffer on the right side (as viewed from the front).  it does of course have the draw hook in the centre of teh buffer plank but that was common on models from well before then.

My apologies if Bachmann were doing the underneath hook that early but I have certainly not seen one on one of their 'Manors'

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2021 at 13:27, Rockalaucher101 said:

Probably going to wait until I can get 7802 out of the box and not have to renumber another example. Plus the larger tender it ran within preservation would be nice but not a must

7808 also ran with a 4,000 gallon tender in it’s final BR days. 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2021 at 09:46, The Johnster said:

7808 also ran with a 4,000 gallon tender in it’s final BR days. 

Although there is a well known photo it would seem that it only ran with that tender for a very short time indeed and probably not even for all of the time it was at Gloucester.  it still had a 3,500 gallon tender earlier in 1964 and it was reportedly withdrawn with one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw it several times with the 4k gallon tender, a frequent visitor to Cardiff Tidal or Long Dyke, and of course East Dock shed.  I thought the loco and tender looked very well proportioned with each other. 

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2021 at 13:27, Rockalaucher101 said:

Probably going to wait until I can get 7802 out of the box and not have to renumber another example. Plus the larger tender it ran within preservation would be nice but not a must

7802 certainly ran with a 4000g tender whilst on the main line, but here she is on the SVR in 2018, with a little 'un. 

John

SVR 2018.06_209er [7802].jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
Photos reinstated