Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium

What a beauty. Looking back to my teenage years as a member of the late Mike Cook’s South Devon group, these would have really looked the business on “Totnes” and “Kingswear”.

As a NER/LNER modeller in N & 2mm that’s now the extent of my interest in this announcement, other than admiration.  

But (just to put on my jealous hat for a mo) when there is not a *single* tank loco of any type available rtr for the LNER modeller in N*, that OO modellers can start getting antsy about the tender not being rippled or that the precise name of the loco they want isn’t being produced is gobsmacking.  (Jealous hat off!)

Best wishes with the Manors, and if Accurascale want to take the N LNER tank loco hint then I have cash waiting!

Richard T

*BR standards that ran on the ex-LNER network don’t count.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

This might be a stupid question but what does this mean? (pulled from AccuraScale's page)

• Optional overhead warning plate bracket on late-BR examples

Is it that this is a feature fitting as standard to the late BR versions i.e. part of the tooling, or an after market option i.e. a piece in a bits bag with couplings etc.?

Hi @SteamingWales

These will be in the bits bag for fitting separately.

Cheers,

Fran

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Apologies if I have missed this but is there any information on how the tender is connected to the loco? Given that the decoder is in the tender I assume there will be an electrical socket of some kind. I rather like the tender connection arrangement on my Dapol Mogul and wonder if Accurascale will be doing something similar. I am now thinking I will go for this version of the Manor.

Edited by JST

Wow ! I’m very excited by the announcement . I worked at RNIB for 20 years and they had 2 sites  after which the GWR named after them ... Condover Hall and Torquay Manor so I will be ordering a Manor .

Fran , may I clarify one point , please ? It is about EM and P4 .

Are you saying it would not be commercially viable to follow the Sutton Loco Works route and offer EM and P4 rtr ? Or are you saying it won’t be possible to convert your splendid model OO to EM .... possibly due to clearances with cylinders or the die cast running plate?

Either way  , fantastic job and news and count me in .

Ken 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 1466 said:

Wow ! I’m very excited by the announcement . I worked at RNIB for 20 years and they had 2 sites  after which the GWR named after them ... Condover Hall and Torquay Manor so I will be ordering a Manor .

Fran , may I clarify one point , please ? It is about EM and P4 .

Are you saying it would not be commercially viable to follow the Sutton Loco Works route and offer EM and P4 rtr ? Or are you saying it won’t be possible to convert your splendid model OO to EM .... possibly due to clearances with cylinders or the die cast running plate?

Either way  , fantastic job and news and count me in .

Ken 

Hi Ken,

Not at all, as you may know, we will be offering drop in wheelsets in EM and P4 for our diesels. RTR diesels are much easier to change to finescale, as you just need to ensure there is enough space between the axles and bogie sideframe (indeed our Irish loco can be converted all the way up to 21mm!)

The issue with steam is placement of the splashers, motion and pistons. As far as I can gather it's the same challenge for all RTR steam locos. 

It might be possible, but it would be a heck of a job. Hence why we can only stand over this as a OO locomotive. It might be possible, but it would take a lot of bodging. 

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

7810-1939-small.jpg.a74e9d3f68fb97183ecefca983ae294a.jpg

7810 trundles along with a train of LNER vehicles (although the last coach looks a bit GWR). Date 1939, location unknown. This could be a Banbury loco working a 'Ports to Ports' Newcastle-Swansea, but I'm guessing.

Edit: 7810's first shed was Banbury.

Apart from the leading vehicle (probably an extra) the formation as far as it can be seen matches the post-war formation for the Swansea -Newcastle (and return) so it is probably that train.  It doesn't match any other trains running between the GWR and LNER all of which were formed of mixed pwnership stock and conveyed additional NPCCS vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Ken,

Not at all, as you may know, we will be offering drop in wheelsets in EM and P4 for our diesels. RTR diesels are much easier to change to finescale, as you just need to ensure there is enough space between the axles and bogie sideframe (indeed our Irish loco can be converted all the way up to 21mm!)

The issue with steam is placement of the splashers, motion and pistons. As far as I can gather it's the same challenge for all RTR steam locos. 

It might be possible, but it would be a heck of a job. Hence why we can only stand over this as a OO locomotive. It might be possible, but it would take a lot of bodging. 

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Fran

Thanks Fran that is helpful . I’m a cheerful bodger and look forward to some precision bodging !

Ken 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Apart from the leading vehicle (probably an extra) the formation as far as it can be seen matches the post-war formation for the Swansea -Newcastle (and return) so it is probably that train.  It doesn't match any other trains running between the GWR and LNER all of which were formed of mixed pwnership stock and conveyed additional NPCCS vehicles.

Good descriptions of the mix here

https://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/ports.html

From The Meccano Magazine, July 1929

e.g. pictures of the “Ports-to-Ports” Express at Cardiff, with LNER Stock and GWR locomotive.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JST said:

Apologies if I have missed this but is there any information on how the tender is connected to the loco? Given that the decoder is in the tender I assume there will be an electrical socket of some kind. I rather like the tender connection arrangement on my Dapol Mogul and wonder if Accurascale will be doing something similar. I am now thinking I will go for this version of the Manor.

Hi @JST,

We will have a kinematic coupler on tender with pin under floor of cab and plug in electrical connection. We did look at making an "all in one" solution but we were worried about long term reliability and decided to go for a "belt and braces" approach. We have lots of electrical connections between loco and tender so a simple plug would not be enough.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good to see a die-cast boiler and running plate and CADs :good:

Regarding motor space contraints and space under the boiler, I wonder if mounting the motor in the boiler instead of onto the chassis has been considered? Doing allows the maximum diameter of motor and flywheel.

Screenshot_2021-02-02 Accurascale announce NEW Locomotive .png

Marklin Trix P39

p38m.png

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1

WR 2-8-0 2893 near Reading West 1964.

...this copper capped kettle from David Christie's Flickr site looks a bit like yours when you squint at it without your glasses on...but just look whats behind the tender!

No excuse now lads.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Will Odney Manor, Ditchet Manor, & Lydham Manor be in that second run as well?

Possibly! We will have to see how well our first run sells though before full plans of a second run!

Thankfully, so far it's going really well! 

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Possibly! We will have to see how well our first run sells though before full plans of a second run!

Thankfully, so far it's going really well! 

I'd be up for a wartime GWR version Fran.;)

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Grannies and eggs to many, but super-smooth running is highly important nowadays.

I'm finding an increasing number of new / near-new locomotives which from an equivalent of perhaps 15mph and up, they're fine, but getting down to a crawl, there are 'tight spots'.

One such, just recently, was a streamlined Coronation - obvious origin - and one of the new tooling ones.

I found that one wheel pair's 'quartering' was very slightly out, and I mean VERY slightly out ... it's now just about as good as ever - slow crawls without issue.

Point?

QC is critical, and we're seeing an increasing number of 'problems' with the ever-increasing complexities of modern model locomotives.

I hope this is high on the production considerations.

Al.

• Agree 5