Autotrains

GDR

East Southsea branch, Fratton to the seaside. A disaster-line (as in "Why did we ever think this'd be a good idea?") but they did come up with a Terrier welded onto a coach. Hoping the pic loads (iffy laptop) but if not has anyone got any other pics?

• RMweb Premium

Here's the mortal remains. Nice view of a couple of Open As, along with one, probably two, Midland 8 ton 5-plank opens, diagram D299.

There's a book: K. Robertson, The Southsea Railway (Kingfisher Railway Productions, 1985). There are some very reasonably-priced second-hand copies around. I would imagine that has pretty much every pre-grouping era photo going.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Here's the mortal remains. Nice view of a couple of Open As, along with one, probably two, Midland 8 ton 5-plank opens, diagram D299.

There's a book: K. Robertson, The Southsea Railway (Kingfisher Railway Productions, 1985). There are some very reasonably-priced second-hand copies around. I would imagine that has pretty much every pre-grouping era photo going.

The very pic I failed to send!! That'll be from the Fratton end (or nearest scrapyard?).

Moved to Pompey a while back and thought it might be a good BLT to model, as in "what COULD it have been". Then saw the size of the NotreDame-style church involved in the background, although there's possibly a bloke somewhere in PO5 been making it in matchsticks for the last 30 yrs?

I'm 0-0 looking for ideas on any autotrain/pull/push/pull other than that GWR thing that everyone sells. 

Modelling a 30s independent line who'd buy anything from anyone, so pics of weird things appreciated! 

Compound - good photo! Never seen that one before.

Mid you, GDR's description of it as a "terrier welded to a coach" both insults Terriers (badly) and overestimates the power of technology, in that welding to timber isn't really something you'd want to try, unless attempting to start a bonfire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Compound - good photo! Never seen that one before.

Mid you, GDR's description of it as a "terrier welded to a coach" both insults Terriers (badly) and overestimates the power of technology, in that welding to timber isn't really something you'd want to try, unless attempting to start a bonfire.

Ok my apology for "welded" remark. But any other ideas of an autotrain welcome.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, GDR said:

Ok my apology for "welded" remark. But any other ideas of an autotrain welcome.

Don't worry, that's how they go on around here. I understood you were using the word figuratively.

The Wikipedia article British Steam Railcars gives quite a good overview of the self-propelled vehicles that had a brief vogue in the decade before the Great War. Beyond that, digging around on here will turn up several topics on push-pull trains - motor trains in Midland / LMS-speak or auto trains to Great Western enthusiasts.

• Like 1