Peco Double Slips

I've found two Peco electro frog double slips in the back of the loft. They've never been used and I've no experience using them. Obviously they will save quite a bit of room on a layout. Are they ok to fit or do they give running trouble?

Richard

Might need a bit of a clean first but should be fine. They will of course require frog switching wiring in, being electrofrog.

Whether they'll give running trouble or not rather depends upon the exact application you intend to use them in. Mainline? Shunting yard? Loco depot? etc

7 minutes ago, RichD1 said:

Would you suggest not on a mainline?

Richard

Not for running at speed (although you might get away with it!), but should be OK in a station throat where trains are moving more slowly. In a goods yard, be careful if you're planning to propel (push) stock over them round the curved portions. That will depend to a large extent on the stock you are using, particularly if using scale (3-link) couplings on goods wagons.

Are they Code 75 or Code 100 (not sure Peco ever did an Electrofrog double slip in Code 100)? You can mix and match the two systems using adapter joiners / tracks but best not to do too much of this.

(sorry - there's always lots of questions!)

I've got an insulfrog code 100 double slip in the station throat of my end to end exhibition (remember them?) layout that has been no trouble. The key thing is to ensure that it is absolutely flat on the underlay with no twist, I found that out the hard way years ago. It's survived a fair number of shows with an intensive service of mainly EMUs with some parcels stock shunting over it.

Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Not for running at speed (although you might get away with it!), but should be OK in a station throat where trains are moving more slowly. In a goods yard, be careful if you're planning to propel (push) stock over them round the curved portions. That will depend to a large extent on the stock you are using, particularly if using scale (3-link) couplings on goods wagons.

I've got a couple of Code 75 Electrofrogs in my mainline to allow access to goods lines and from platform faces. (maybe not particularly prototypical though).

Fast trains aren't bothered by them at all. (set to straight)

I use Kadees and both wagons & coaches push back through the curves at moderate speeds without a problem.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RichD1 said:

Both definitely Code 100

I'm 99% certain that Peco have never done an electrofrog Code 100 double slip, though willing to be corrected.

Are you quite sure you've identified them correctly?  (In your OP you said that you have two Peco slips, now it seems you have one Peco and one Fleischmann.)

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

I'm 99% certain that Peco have never done an electrofrog Code 100 double slip, though willing to be corrected.

Are you quite sure you've identified them correctly?  (In your OP you said that you have two Peco slips, now it seems you have one Peco and one Fleischmann.)

It would be SL-E90 if it existed, however I can't find any record of it.:scratchhead: