Trains in Switzerland - September, 2018.

Afternoon All,

I took lots and lots of photos during a two week holiday in Switzerland in September, 2018.  Sadly, no video, but I've put a short slide show of trains at Basel SBB station on YouTube and here's the link if anyone would like to see them:

If there's sufficient interest, I'll add some more in due course.

TTFN,

Ron.

Edited by 45669
Changed the title.
  • Like 5

On 01/02/2021 at 16:06, duff man said:

Hi, Thanks for posting. Always interested and yes please if you have more.

Yes, lots more to come.  We were in Switzerland for two weeks and went out and about every day - mostly by train.  So I had lots of opportunities to take plenty of photos.   All I need is the time to get them on YouTube!

• Like 1

• 45669 changed the title to Trains in Switzerland - September, 2018.
  • 2 weeks later...

Another short slideshow of trains at Thun is now on my YouTube channel. This one shows BLS and DB trains, so I hope you like it:

TTFN,

Edited by 45669
Re-did the link.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another short slide show of trains in Switzerland is now on my YouTube channel; this time it's train at Spiez.   Here's the link if you'd like to have a look:

TTFN,

Ron.

Thanks for posting these, Ron.  I know both Thun and Spiez quite well but not well enough to be familiar with the best phot-spots.  The Swiss timetable is such that if one is changing trains at either there is little time for photography!

Chris

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Thanks for posting these, Ron.  I know both Thun and Spiez quite well but not well enough to be familiar with the best phot-spots.  The Swiss timetable is such that if one is changing trains at either there is little time for photography!

Chris

We were staying in Thun, so there was time for photographing trains in the mornings before we got on a train to go somewhere, and likewise in the evening after we'd got back from wherever we'd been.

The shots at Spiez were mostly snatch shots whilst changing trains, and some of them are shots through train windows as we passed through.

Won't it be nice when we're allowed to go there again.  (Or anywhere else for that matter!)

Ron.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2021 at 00:58, 45669 said:

Another short slide show of trains in Switzerland is now on my YouTube channel; this time it's train at Spiez.   Here's the link if you'd like to have a look:

TTFN,

Ron.

Thanks for posting these . Very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable 

I visited Interlaken  in 1978 as a wee boy with my parents , 1988 and 1990 by myself , staying in Interlaken but travelling extensively through the region .  Thun and Spiez were well visited by me , but in these days  it was BLS brown electrics and Blue/cream coaches . Superb . I must admit I’m not a great fan of the new fluorescent green colour but looking at your pictures it’s growing on me .  One of the best routes I remember was the old lotschberg route , presumably the  Lotschberger units go on the old route as opposed to through the new base tunnel . 

Puts me in the notion again, but only when it’s safe ! 

Edited by Legend

• 1 month later...
On 09/04/2021 at 10:25, Legend said:

Thanks for posting these . Very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable 

I visited Interlaken  in 1978 as a wee boy with my parents , 1988 and 1990 by myself , staying in Interlaken but travelling extensively through the region .  Thun and Spiez were well visited by me , but in these days  it was BLS brown electrics and Blue/cream coaches . Superb . I must admit I’m not a great fan of the new fluorescent green colour but looking at your pictures it’s growing on me .  One of the best routes I remember was the old lotschberg route , presumably the  Lotschberger units go on the old route as opposed to through the new base tunnel . 

Puts me in the notion again, but only when it’s safe ! 

Quite right; most trains now use the new base tunnel, but there's an hourly service over the old route using the Lötschberger units.  As it happens, my latest slideshow video on my YouTube channel covers that very subject!  There are shots taken from one of those units at Kandersted and Goppenstein, plus some shots of both BLS and SBB trains at Brig.  Here's the link if you'd like to have a look:

Hope you like it.

Ron.

Edited by 45669
Silly typo!
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another slideshow of Swiss railway pictures is now on my YouTube channel.  It's of trains in Interlaken and if anyone would like to have a look, here's the link:

Hope it's of interest.

Ron.

Edited by 45669
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 45669 said:

Another slideshow of Swiss railway pictures is now on my YouTube channel.  It's of trains in Interlaken and if anyone would like to have a look, here's the link:

Hope it's of interest.

Ron.

Great pictures Ron .  It’s strange although been to Interlaken 3 times I’ve never yet gone up Harder Kulm.  

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Great pictures Ron .  It’s strange although been to Interlaken 3 times I’ve never yet gone up Harder Kulm.  

It's well worth the trip up there to see the views of the lakes, plus the Eger, Mönch and Jungfrau in the distance.

D20408.  Eiger, Mönch & Jungfrau.

(Not to mention the views of both Ost and West stations!)

Ron.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2021 at 12:59, Legend said:

On 13/06/2021 at 15:23, 45669 said:

It's well worth the trip up there to see the views of the lakes, plus the Eger, Mönch and Jungfrau in the distance.

(Not to mention the views of both Ost and West stations!)

Ron.

Here you go - save you the hassle, the bunfight and the cheek-by-jowl experience of the modern funicular......:heat:

(I wonder if that will be a thing of the past now that people need to keep a certain distance apart?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DIW said:

Here you go - save you the hassle, the bunfight and the cheek-by-jowl experience of the modern funicular......:heat:

(I wonder if that will be a thing of the past now that people need to keep a certain distance apart?)

Stunning . Again I'm perplexed as to why never gone up .  There's just always so much of interest in Interlaken  BOB for the Jungfrau , The line to Lucerne  via Brienz , Out on the BLS  . Paddle steamers now on both lakes . In the event of nice day , these were always first choices .  But truly spectacular . Thanks for the link. 

On 13/06/2021 at 23:26, DGO said:

All those pics from Interlaken Ost but none of the BOB ?

There's lots of pictures of the BOB, and the ZB, and they will follow in future instalments.  Watch this space...

• Like 1

On 15/06/2021 at 09:00, Legend said:

Stunning . Again I'm perplexed as to why never gone up .  There's just always so much of interest in Interlaken  BOB for the Jungfrau , The line to Lucerne  via Brienz , Out on the BLS  . Paddle steamers now on both lakes . In the event of nice day , these were always first choices .  But truly spectacular . Thanks for the link. 

That's the trouble with Switzerland; there's always more to do than can be fitted in to a fortnight's holiday!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...