Fleischmann Piccolo motor...thermo-nuclear power?!?

plasticbasher

Hi All,

I acquired an older Fleischmann N Gauge 7230 / 9370 diesel as a non-runner.  My winter challenge for myself..!

I think these are known as classes as V100 and BR212 depending on the era you model.

Anyway I tested the open-frame motor and it smoked from the brushes, but did little else.  A soak in white spirit removed some crud but merely made the smoke worse when I tried again.  I decided that motor was scrap.

I obtained a secondhand replacement motor (from France) for a fair price, along with a few other bits that were worn or broken on this loco.

I gently oiled the replacement motor and it runs.  However it is not as smooth as I expected and requires much more juice to start running than I'd expected (approaching half power)  More importantly it gets incredibly hot very quickly (20-30 seconds).

The motor spins freely by hand but I've noticed the magnets can move a fraction in the motor frame and can both just touch the armature.

For reference the motor is very similar in layout to a Hornby Type 7 motor, but even smaller.  And the controller I used was a bog standard Bachmann one as found in many of their HO and OO sets.

I have two questions:

1. Would magnets not held firmly in place cause a motor to overheat?

2. Would me using a little paint or varnish to stick the magnets to the frame be okay or do they need uninterrupted electrical continuity to the motor frame?

I have a feeling I've either blown the replacement motor using too "big" a controller or bought a duff replacement motor...!!

If this thread needs photo's just ask...

Cheers,

plasticbasher

Not an update of substance, but worth noting I followed the advice and ordered a motor upgrade from Tramfabriek yesterday morning.  Postie slid the little box through my letter box this morning.

That's impressive both on the part of Tramfabriek, and the Royal Mail (given Covid issues impacting their available manpower etc)!

I'll let you know the results by the weekend.

plasticbasher

Edited by plasticbasher
Missing word
  • Like 1

On 01/02/2021 at 17:14, plasticbasher said:

Would me using a little paint or varnish to stick the magnets to the frame be okay or do they need uninterrupted electrical continuity to the motor frame?

You could try pressing them against the frame and then applying epoxy along the joint to make a fillet. There is no need for electrical continuity between the magnet and frame, just a magnetic circuit.