DJH Kits in 4mm and minimum radius

97xx

I have a hankering to make a 9F, and fancy the DJH Crosti.

I see it's labelled as 30" min radius, which I wasn't surprised by but put me off as I need 24".

Then I spotted that pretty much all their models are 30" minimum.

I've just built a Finecast Q1 compensated chassis that handles 21" without problem (so 24" is assured) so am now curious as to why the DJH are 30" minimum?

The Q1 I believe's just an 0-6-0

The problem with kits, of any make, is generally with longer wheelbase locos, and particularly with outside cylinder clearance on locos with front pony / bogie wheels - as the kits are all metal they just have to touch to cause a short.

I've a DJH B16 which can negotiate 30", but half the front cylinder covers were removed

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ken.W said:

The problem with kits, of any make, is generally with longer wheelbase locos, and particularly with outside cylinder clearance on locos with front pony / bogie wheels - as the kits are all metal they just have to touch to cause a short.

I've a DJH B16 which can negotiate 30", but half the front cylinder covers were removed

Ah, good point re pony/bogies and cylinders.

Mind you, maybe not such an issue on a 2-10-0 as the pony appears far enough forward? Has someone got one?