The Rail Blue Years bookazine - N.E.Preedy photos

caradoc

Passing through Glasgow Central today I noticed this new bookazine in WH Smith. To say I was blown away is an understatement, page after page of the renowned Normal Preedy's photos of blue diesels and electrics, including, particularly delighting me, many pre-TOPS numbers. Worth every penny of my £8.99 ! 

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECRBLUE/The Rail Blue Years

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Don't start!

Mike.

1 minute ago, russ p said:

Sorry Mike

Not following,  is there an issue with smiths ?

Apologies Russ, an "in" joke isn't funny if you're not in. I was referring to the flak created by a mention of WHS in the MRJ threads.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, russ p said:

Are they in Smith's? 

I've just ordered using the link in the op, free UK postage, which is handy for me cos my nearest smiffs is across the north channel and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon...

Sounds like a great bookazine for a good price, I can never get enough BR blue pics.

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Are they in Smith's? 

59 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Don't start!

Mike.

I thought that "Don't start!" related to the fact 'Smiffs' was specifically mentioned as the place of purchase in the OP.... ;) 

Thanks to Keith a.k.a. Tractionman for the heads-up re free postage, as my local Smiffs closed down a year ago... :( 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I thought that "Don't start!" related to the fact 'Smiffs' was specifically mentioned as the place of purchase in the OP.... ;) 

Thanks to Keith a.k.a. Tractionman for the heads-up re free postage, as my local Smiffs closed down a year ago... :( 

Somehow I didn't notice that

In and out of the house trying to sort out a pva river which seems hell bent on drying sky blue! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, caradoc said:

Passing through Glasgow Central today I noticed this new bookazine in WH Smith. To say I was blown away is an understatement, page after page of the renowned Normal Preedy's photos of blue diesels and electrics, including, particularly delighting me, many pre-TOPS numbers. Worth every penny of my £8.99 ! 

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECRBLUE/The Rail Blue Years

Thanks for that . Just ordered on line . They were pretty quick with the Hornby catalogue , so hopefully arrive soon 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2021 at 22:13, F-UnitMad said:

it's arrived! great turnaround by Key Publishing.

and what a fantastic bookazine, so many great images, really good geographical coverage of the network, as well as a BR Blue fest! Lots of shed views (not 66s!), close-ups as well as lineside shots, with much infrastructure to see too, so brilliant for modellers.

definitely recommended and good value for money--high quality images and print production.

all the best,

Keith

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, tractionman said:

It's arrived! great turnaround by Key Publishing.

So has mine! not bad at all for free postage!! :good:

On 01/02/2021 at 21:19, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies Russ, an "in" joke isn't funny if you're not in. I was referring to the flak created by a mention of WHS in the MRJ threads.

Mike.

I'm not 'in' either, but it sounds like some juicy entertainment!! Any chance of a link? :spiteful:  :mosking:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, rka said:

Is there much south wales area pictures?

A quick check in my copy, not much no, lots for the sw of England but Wales gets four pages, one of which is Vale of Rheidol.

There's no contents page so I may have overlooked something.

Cheers,

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep , ordered  Monday , arrived in today’s post, post free. Very impressed with Keys turnaround .  Looks like a good publication . Lots of Western pics .. looking forward to having a good browse over weekend but already had a quick skim and spotted 50047 nameless , which was the engine on one of my first Mainline journeys (That I can remember) Paignton to Exeter St David’s . Lots of good pics . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tractionman said:

it's arrived! great turnaround by Key Publishing.

and what a fantastic bookazine, so many great images, really good geographical coverage of the network, as well as a BR Blue fest! Lots of shed views (not 66s!), close-ups as well as lineside shots, with much infrastructure to see too, so brilliant for modellers.

definitely recommended and good value for money--high quality images and print production.

all the best,

Keith

Are they coluor or B/W, just asking as I've ordered one anyway.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, GRUNFOS said:

Are they coluor or B/W, just asking as I've ordered one anyway.

Thanks

all full colour throughout, good print quality and clear images too, a real corker for less than a tenner...

cheers,

Keith

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

There's a tiny little footnote (OK it's in red text) right at the bottom of the web page pointing out the discount.

I bought it on spec the first day out in my local newsagent - not a problem!

My copy arrived in the post this morning and I've had a quick flick through. It certainly does what it says on the cover and is a photo fest of rail blue locos. But it's a bit of an 'okay meh' from me rather than something to enthuse about.

Many of the photos are cropped tight to the locomotives and don't show the train or surrounding infrastructure. And unfortunately it doesn't include any rail blue units. Plus, although it includes two rail blue steamers from the Vale of Rheidol, disappointingly there are no pics of rail blue electro diesels (classes 73 and 74).

However if you're a Western fan (class 52) you're in for a treat - there seems to be a plethora of pics of them. Perhaps the photographer or editor was also a Western nut.

• Informative/Useful 3