The Rail Blue Years bookazine - N.E.Preedy photos

caradoc

• RMweb Premium

It does say three decades of Diesel and Electric locos on the front cover , so thats why no MUs . It also said inside he was a particular fan of 52s , so there are a lot of pics of them in the book . There are also  lots of Peaks I would say and maybe not too many 47s , considering they were all over the place . A good few Scottish Region pics too though . 

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, grahame said:

My copy arrived in the post this morning and I've had a quick flick through. It certainly does what it says on the cover and is a photo fest of rail blue locos. But it's a bit of an 'okay meh' from me rather than something to enthuse about.

Many of the photos are cropped tight to the locomotives and don't show the train or surrounding infrastructure. And unfortunately it doesn't include any rail blue units. Plus, although it includes two rail blue steamers from the Vale of Rheidol, disappointingly there are no pics of rail blue electro diesels (classes 73 and 74).

However if you're a Western fan (class 52) you're in for a treat - there seems to be a plethora of pics of them. Perhaps the photographer or editor was also a Western nut.

There is a strong WR presence and the intro by Colin Marsden explains the photographer's particular interest in / associations with the Gloucester--Bristol--Newton Abbot areas, so yes lots of "Westerns", "Hymeks" etc on ex-GW lines but I have no complaints there!

Good coverage for Scotland too, but perhaps less so for East Anglia and Wales, but really for the price and the quality I think this is an excellent publication for BR Blue fans...

cheers,

Keith

• Agree 2

I'd like to see some of his green era diesel images. I met him on Oxford station a couple of times, the first time being in September 1965 when we both took a shot of D5858 arriving on 1042 from Sheffield, a shot also taken by Frank Cassell from Leicester. I can remember the day quite vividly and Norman may have even captured D5383 heading LE to Hinksey yard as I had run out of film by then!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Legend said:

It does say three decades of Diesel and Electric locos on the front cover , so thats why no MUs . 

Although that's a sub head as the main title is 'The Rail Blue Years'. It doesn't exactly say 'no MUs' and I'm not sure how steam locos qualify as D&E locos.

Edited by grahame

No MU's?? Most spotters I knew in the '70s didn't give MUs of either persuasion a second glance; locos were where it was at. :locomotive: ....personally I don't give MUs a second glance now, either!!

Also the title with "RAIL BLUE" in big letters probably gives a clue to the lack of green locos. ;)

If anything there's a distinct lack of Large Logo blue; it might not have been standard blue but it was blue, all the same, but maybe that'll be in a follow-up volume? 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, grahame said:

Although that's a sub head as the main title is 'The Rail Blue Years'. It doesn't exactly say 'no MUs' and I'm not sure how steam locos qualify as D&E locos.

The two pictures of VoR steam locos are in "rail blue" and did not detract from my enjoyment of the bookzine....and at about 3p per image I'm not that worried....

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

No MU's?? Most spotters I knew in the '70s didn't give MUs of either persuasion a second glance; locos were where it was at. 

Oh dear, how restrictive. I guess you knew a lot of narrow minded people who didn't appreciate the wider picture. 

Just now, grahame said:

Oh dear, how restrictive. I guess you knew a lot of narrow minded people who didn't appreciate the wider picture. 

Did you spot coaches & wagons, too by any chance? I saw some who did.

It wasn't about "not appreciating the wider picture"; I rode on plenty of DMUs and EMUs; they just didn't interest me however essential they were to the bigger scheme of things. Probably why I have very little interest in the modern UK scene now, as well.

What I class as "oh dear" & "narrow minded" is the amount of British enthusiasts and modellers who never, ever look at railways beyond this Country's shores - they are missing out on the 'wider picture', especially the influence British practice had on railways worldwide. This attitude was often manifest at Exhibitions, where they walk straight past 'Foreign' layouts, as they "can't relate to it", or it's "outside their area of interest".

That, to me, is restrictive & narrow minded, so forgive me if I continue to ignore MUs in the UK.

14 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

What I class as "oh dear" & "narrow minded" is the amount of British enthusiasts and modellers who never, ever look at railways beyond this Country's shores - they are missing out on the 'wider picture', especially the influence British practice had on railways worldwide. This attitude was often manifest at Exhibitions, where they walk straight past 'Foreign' layouts, as they "can't relate to it", or it's "outside their area of interest".

That, to me, is restrictive & narrow minded, so forgive me if I continue to ignore MUs in the UK.

There are people who do that at exhibitions and not just with overseas layouts, but it's odd how you seem to castigate those who eschew non-British trains and railways yet you are happy to announce that you do that to elements of British traction. Now that's ironic.

7 minutes ago, grahame said:

There are people who do that at exhibitions and not just with overseas layouts,

Agree with you there, certainly.

But 'castigate' is a bit strong. I'm not castigating anyone; it's up to everyone what they want to be interested in, and what others might consider them to be missing out on as a consequence is really irrelevant, to them. It's all just opinion and free choice, no irony in it, for me or anyone else.

10 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

When you read the introduction in the book, it is explained that N Preedy didn't contemplate DMU's and never took pictures of them. That's  why there isn't any pictures of them!

See? I wasn't alone!! :declare: :sarcastichand:   

• 3 months later...