My First Model Railway - New YouTube series from Hornby

woodenhead

• woodenhead changed the title to My First Model Railway - New YouTube series from Hornby
5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Surprised no-one has seen nor mentioned this today.

Seems it's not only Simon Kohler at it.

Ballast first or ballast last - I can see the debate starting shortly.....

Because rmweb is a forum for the more seasoned modeller and not the new comers. Simon and Mike's efforts are pretty good, but it's just not what you'll attribute to the skill and detail from the likes of Everard Junction, Wells Green TMD and so on.

Therefore, no mention.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Because rmweb is a forum for the more seasoned modeller and not the new comers. Simon and Mike's efforts are pretty good, but it's just not what you'll attribute to the skill and detail from the likes of Everard Junction, Wells Green TMD and so on.

Therefore, no mention.

Has simon produced any videos? Or has he not started yet?

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Has Simon produced any videos? Or has he not started yet?

Simon didn't video his progress, but he did update us us all regularly via his Instagram page. He built the layout for his wife's grandson and documented the progress he made over the December/January holiday period. Even Hornby themselves shared his progress via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

There is a series of videos on the main website showing how they build first the baseboard then lay the track and scenic bits. I was a bit shocked at their master craftsman using a small ball-pein hammer to smack track pins in with.

I was also surprised at their build methodology in that they used the track-mat to trace the layout, then painted the board up, laid ballast, then the track,. It all seemed back to front to convention but the end result was surprisingly good.

• Administrators

All it proves is there is no "right" way to do any of this stuff. I use a hammer for track pins and ballast last - other do different. I'm reminded of a Facebook post lambasting the idea that a "professional" would use superglue to hold track down, but I've done it and so have others you might consider professional. If a method works for you - it's right.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I think the videos are very good . For someone who just got a trainset that first step to get it on a board can seem quite daunting . This really shows its pretty easy . Good for him!  His kitchen is a helluva lot cleaner than mine . That would have been my biggest task!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

All it proves is there is no "right" way to do any of this stuff. I use a hammer for track pins and ballast last - other do different. I'm reminded of a Facebook post lambasting the idea that a "professional" would use superglue to hold track down, but I've done it and so have others you might consider professional. If a method works for you - it's right.

I fixed my track down with pins and I was perfectly happy. Then I got a camtruck. My heavens! Don’t they look obtrusive! In future, I think I’ll use glue.

• RMweb Gold

That seems alright Phil, but can I suggest that you use a concave-headed pin punch to put the pins in.  Neither ToolStation or Screwfix sell them, but the FFX  website currently does so. A punch such as this allows you to accurately centre the pins whilst you push/hammer/ drive  your fixture of choice.

That well-known phrase... " Everybody gotta start somewhere...."

Ian. 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2021 at 10:31, Phil Parker said:

I'm reminded of a Facebook post lambasting the idea that a "professional" would use superglue to hold track down, but I've done it and so have others you might consider professional. If a method works for you - it's right.

Sorry Phil, I can top that - last week, rather than venture out to buy some UHU, I ended up supergluing cork underlay to the baseboard.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

That seems alright Phil, but can I suggest that you use a concave-headed pin punch to put the pins in.  Neither ToolStation or Screwfix sell them, but the FFX  website currently does so. A punch such as this allows you to accurately centre the pins whilst you push/hammer/ drive  your fixture of choice.

Just be grateful I didn't use a nailgun.

• Funny 2

I once tried hot glue and, well, it didn't turn out so great.

Still, I'll be following this series with interest. I think model railways can be quite an intimidating subject for beginners, so anything that makes the hobby accessible is fine in my book.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Sorry Phil, I can top that - last week, rather than venture out to buy some UHU, I ended up supergluing cork underlay to the baseboard.

At least you know it's never going to peel back up by itself....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I once tried hot glue and, well, it didn't turn out so great.

Still, I'll be following this series with interest. I think model railways can be quite an intimidating subject for beginners, so anything that makes the hobby accessible is fine in my book.

on my first layout some 5 years ago (from a 20 year break) i used a glue gun to stick down my cork, as you said, did not turn out great either, when it had dried, it was more like an old dirt track rather than a nice flat surface to put track onto.