New to track construction

avrojetmark

• RMweb Premium

Hi

As a beginner to track construction I have looked at the different track building methods  and materials listed in the 2mm shop track list.

What would members advise me to start off with as I only plan a small layout with around three turnouts.

Thanks

Have you got yourself a copy of the 'Track' book?  It will give you an insight into how turnouts 'work' which is essential information to ensure success.  I think we all have our favourite systems, much of which depends on how accurate we want them to look in terms of the appearance of chairs etc.  For simplicity, one of the Easitrac turnout kits would be a good starting point (forgive the pun!) as that gives you a ready made crossing and a location for all the chairs.  That of course assumes that the turnouts in the range suit your requirements.  If not then soldered construction on pcb sleepers/timbers, with or without chairplates is you best option for bespoke turnouts as that allows some degree of adjustment to achieve smooth running.   For plain track, Easitrac is the simplest and quickest option and will match whatever system you choose to employ for turnouts etc.

Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avrojetmark said:

What would members advise me to start off with as I only plan a small layout with around three turnouts.

The "Track" book. Build some of the simple jigs. Worth its weight in 2mm track materials

• Like 1
  • Agree 1