Bachmann Spring 2021 - New tooling Class 20/0

AY Mod

20227 looks good, I have the old Lima version of it in Railfreight, really liked this livery on them and remember seeing them on MGR in Fife.  Usually pairs of them, 2 blue or 1 blue and 1 Railfreight. Don't remember if I ever saw two railfreight on the Longannet MGR.

I have a few 1980s loco which have been preserved which allows them to make a guest appearance on modern image layout, 20227 could fit into this although not sure what livery or condition it is at the moment.

Edited by Waverley47708

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

OK, good one less model to buy.

I will wait for a preservation era both-ends lighted release!

you might be waiting a while for the same loco to be re-issued in a slightly different state, if it is produced. If you're never or rarely going to use it nose-first, would fitting a dummy headlight on the nose end do?

15 minutes ago, GordonC said:

you might be waiting a while for the same loco to be re-issued in a slightly different state, if it is produced. If you're never or rarely going to use it nose-first, would fitting a dummy headlight on the nose end do?

The loco is wired for headlights at both ends. (we know that from DRS version). So why not fit a working headlight if that's what you want? 

2 hours ago, Super-Sloth said:

If it's the sound file they played in the video, then it doesn't sound anything like the soundfile used on the W/G set.

Hmm wonder if its biffos one.

i dont know if its just me, but i dont think there is a properly good 20 file out there for ESU. 
wonder if theyve done a fresh one?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, stationroad said:

Rails have a function list on their website https://railsofsheffield.com/products/43156/Bachmann-35-357sf-oo-gauge-class-20-0-headcode-box-20227-br-railfreight-red-stripe-diesel-locomotive-dcc-sound-

Is this the same as the Biffo or Whiskey Galore projects?

Not the same as Legomanbiffo, nor the Bachmann 20172 sound fitted collector’s club model I have.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

50 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

This is a new tooling, so besides the lights, were there any actual inaccuracies in the recent 20/0 that needed addressing shape wise ?

Taper around the nose and cab roof shape are the main ones if I recall. The new tooling can also do variations the old one couldn't, like English and Scottish bufferbeam arrangements.

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, WhiteRoseRambler said:

A good choice from Bachmann. Sorry if I have missed the details but do we know if the sound fitted version will have a V5 chip?

Some of the latest sound offerings from Bachmann have been Zimo fitted. e.g. the 158, but others appear to be ESU.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simon Bendall said:

Taper around the nose and cab roof shape are the main ones if I recall. The new tooling can also do variations the old one couldn't, like English and Scottish bufferbeam arrangements.

Was aware of the difference in cab side window size between the Scottish and English Class 20s on disc versions but unaware of the difference between bufferbeam.  Interested to find out more.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

This is a new tooling, so besides the lights, were there any actual inaccuracies in the recent 20/0 that needed addressing shape wise ?

As per my earlier post: “Great to see the gentler cantrail curve has migrated from the DRS version.  The sharper crease of the original tooling was my least favourite part!”

The caveat is I’m judging by the photos, not having seen an actual model, but I’m as convinced as I can be that the major shape error has been fixed. I’m definitely up for a couple of DRS examples.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Was aware of the difference in cab side window size between the Scottish and English Class 20s on disc versions but unaware of the difference between bufferbeam.  Interested to find out more.

Scottish disc had their pipes mounted higher up the bufferbeam to help clear the snowploughs , blue star is the most obvious but so were the main reservoir and control air.  In contrast, English disc had all these mounted lower down and also had no plough brackets. The Scottish arrangement became standard on the h/c box. Bachmann has tooled both.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, Super-Sloth said:

If it's the sound file they played in the video, then it doesn't sound anything like the soundfile used on the W/G set.

I agree, the brief clip they played actully sounded pretty similar to TTS. I know its not but its deffo no the W/G soundfile

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann seem to mostly use ESU decoders for OO models and Zimo for N gauge. With some exceptions.

The function list for the 20's posted by Rails reads like a Zimo project and that would fit with them being Plux22 sockets - the only factory sound Plux22 model so far was the 158 with a Zimo decoder.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Would love to see them produce one in the Metropolitan line livery currently being used for TfL excursions. I know you can get decals for it now, but I don't trust myself to do it properly. Maybe next year Bachmann?

Would make a good Collectors Club model. Weren't the London Transport Museum already considering producing a limited edition in this livery however or did that idea die?