Bachmann Spring 2021 - New tooling Class 20/0

AY Mod

Found the best way was to remove the body  try to get a blade or small screw driver between the cab and the body and lift them gently from front and sides  For those which were reluctant a carefully placed very small screwdriver pushing the side lugs would do it. 

Three of them came out no bother at all just by pulling, the other six took a bit of work. 

Once done they can be easily accessed.  I may paint the cab interior or at least pick out detail of the block between the smaller windows.

Wonder if the new cabs would fit into the current bodies, doubtful but would be good to get some non Scottish style (smaller) side windows on my disc version.

The raised rectangular panel on 20227 to the side of the headcode is a welcome addition for 1980s MGR workings.

• RMweb Gold

I keep looking at the Railfreight liveried Class 20 and seriously tempted by it.  I’d like to renumber it to 20132 “Barrow Hill Depot” but then I’d stuck until Bachmann did a disc headcode Class 20 in Railfreight.  I then could renumber that one to 20118 to pair them up as they are constantly seen together.

6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I keep looking at the Railfreight liveried Class 20 and seriously tempted by it.  I’d like to renumber it to 20132 “Barrow Hill Depot” but then I’d stuck until Bachmann did a disc headcode Class 20 in Railfreight.  I then could renumber that one to 20118 to pair them up as they are constantly seen together.

Just a thought - buy it, test it is OK then store it pending a suitable donner for 20118 emerging. That way if another one turns up as 20132 you can always get that as well and sell on your original purchase.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Edit: Still not seen any confirmation if all the marker lights work. All the images I have seen show the same two markers lit.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I got the following response from Bachmann when I asked this question:

Thank you for your interest in our products.

I am pleased to confirm that the Class 20/0 locomotives which feature disc headcodes will have four operational white headcode lights at the leading end and two red lights at the trailing end. A selection of headcode discs are supplied with each model allowing the consumer to have open or closed discs on each headcode light as per their individual requirements (our publicity photos show two closed discs fitted to the outer pair of headcode lights and thus these two lights are not visible in those photos). The models also feature a working interior cab light. The lights at each end can be turned on/off independently of each other via DCC or using the switches mounted under the chassis. In addition, the high intensity headlight fitted to the cab of 35-357SF can also be controlled independently via DCC function.

I am also pleased to confirm that the headcode lights will be ‘warm white’ on the production models, rather than the ‘bright white’ as seen on the sample that was used for photography purposes to provide a more realistic product.

And very good news that the lights will be changed to warm white. I hope this can be applied to other appropriate models. Both positive developments from Bachmann.

PJ10

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2021 at 16:52, PJ10 said:

Hi Roy,

I got the following response from Bachmann when I asked this question:

Thank you for your interest in our products.

I am pleased to confirm that the Class 20/0 locomotives which feature disc headcodes will have four operational white headcode lights at the leading end and two red lights at the trailing end. A selection of headcode discs are supplied with each model allowing the consumer to have open or closed discs on each headcode light as per their individual requirements (our publicity photos show two closed discs fitted to the outer pair of headcode lights and thus these two lights are not visible in those photos). The models also feature a working interior cab light. The lights at each end can be turned on/off independently of each other via DCC or using the switches mounted under the chassis. In addition, the high intensity headlight fitted to the cab of 35-357SF can also be controlled independently via DCC function.

I am also pleased to confirm that the headcode lights will be ‘warm white’ on the production models, rather than the ‘bright white’ as seen on the sample that was used for photography purposes to provide a more realistic product.

And very good news that the lights will be changed to warm white. I hope this can be applied to other appropriate models. Both positive developments from Bachmann.

PJ10

Nice to see they are going with the warm white lights , may have to consider these in the future , especially when anything Scottish comes out

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, harry lamb said:

The sooner SLW do a 'proper' model of this extremely popular prototype the better! Not forgetting the Brush type 2 as well!  

I think if anyone does a proper model of this it will be Accurascale , I Imagine after the numerous variants of 24/25's SLW have and will produce they will progress onto 26's & 27's , after all , their website is Sulzertype2.com

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I think if anyone does a proper model of this it will be Accurascale , I Imagine after the numerous variants of 24/25's SLW have and will produce they will progress onto 26's & 27's , after all , their website is Sulzertype2.com

I would think SLW will be kept pretty busy with 24/25s for quite some time, but wonder whether Class 33s would be a better fit for them initially possibly before continuing to 26/27s.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

I would think SLW will be kept pretty busy with 24/25s for quite some time, but wonder whether Class 33s would be a better fit for them initially possibly before continuing to 26/27s.

Phil does love his 33s as well...

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/02/2021 at 18:28, Waverley47708 said:

Found the best way was to remove the body  try to get a blade or small screw driver between the cab and the body and lift them gently from front and sides  For those which were reluctant a carefully placed very small screwdriver pushing the side lugs would do it. 

Three of them came out no bother at all just by pulling, the other six took a bit of work. 

Once done they can be easily accessed.  I may paint the cab interior or at least pick out detail of the block between the smaller windows.

Wonder if the new cabs would fit into the current bodies, doubtful but would be good to get some non Scottish style (smaller) side windows on my disc version.

The raised rectangular panel on 20227 to the side of the headcode is a welcome addition for 1980s MGR workings.

The raised panel on the cab front should also be present under the small window, drivers side, long hood end. It dates right back to the original final 10 pre TOP's 1968 batch that went to Scotland, these were fitted with dual brakes and slow speed equipment for the Long Gannet workings. Note that 20228 was numbered out of sequence under TOP's to allow D8000 to stay within the first 50 because of the electrical equipment differences. D8050 became 20128 and D8128(in green FYE) became 20228. Here is D8323 fresh from the Vulcan works , the air brake pipe and cab front panel can just be made out, better when enlarged.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95062750@N04/9041922389/in/photolist-xs3hEp-2k8TRXY-7yLQrW-eM1dvB-SJbHQH-aZNUmn-ty845r-2jv64XQ-6GKptT-a4WYyL-5YdHoi

• Informative/Useful 2

On 09/03/2021 at 01:13, harry lamb said:

The sooner SLW do a 'proper' model of this extremely popular prototype the better! Not forgetting the Brush type 2 as well!  

SLW and Accurascale are the gold standard when it comes to locos, but this Bachmann effort looks pretty impressive to me. The bogies and underframe especially look excellent and much better than the old model.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

I like the look of this loco and didn't mind the old version either. I remember when the Jouef class 40 came out and was very excited to get one for my birthday. I really liked it but do remember that it didn't look so good from the front but viewing it at a certain angle plus a bit of imagination cured it! It ran really well, was powerful and quiet (although the worm would occasionally pop off the motor!).  How things have moved on!

The other thing I remember is that I could buy a Hornby class 25 for a bit more than my weekly paper round pay. Do paper boys get £150  a week now?

Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/03/2021 at 08:37, Pillar said:

SLW and Accurascale are the gold standard when it comes to locos, but this Bachmann effort looks pretty impressive to me. The bogies and underframe especially look excellent and much better than the old model.

I agree Pillar. the 20/3 is a very nicely detailed and finished model. Where they let themselves down is yet again not listening to modellers. I do NOT want a pre-fitted piddly little sugar cube speaker and little if any space to upgrade sound into (same issue with the 24/0) Heljan have listened recently, Dapol are pretty good for space and Fran and Patrick definitely 'get it' Hornby and Bachmann seem to have tin ears.?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/07/2021 at 11:10, Paul.Uni said:

According to the Bachmann Website:

• 35-351 - Due Oct/Nov
  • 35-351DC - Due Jun/Jul
  • 35-355 - Due Oct/Nov
  • 35-355DC - Due Jun/Jul
  • 35-357 - Arrived
  • 35-357DC - Due Aug/Sep

35-351DC and 35-355DC are now listed as Oct/Nov

Mine also arrived this week. There's deservedly plenty of fanfare around the announcement of the new Class 47, but this 20 seems like a real gem.

I'd have to say its the best Bachmann loco I've had to date in terms of detail; on par with the Class 158. The bogies in particular are excellent with separately fitted brake actuators and pipework.

1 hour ago, WILLIAM said:

My 20227 arrived today. I wondered what other owners of this model thought about the shade a railfreight grey used? Looks a bit too dark to me. Lovely model in all other aspects.

20210805_122747.jpg

I'd say it looks about right, perhaps the slightest bit dark but does it reflect ex-works colour where would the grey have weathered lighter over time? I think it looks a great model and one that will be joining my fleet

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2021 at 14:10, WILLIAM said:

Ex-works appears much lighter although I appreciate you cannot trust just one picture. I'm happy to live with it the way it is however. Love the yellow fan.

1986-03-22 D9000

That looked light to me and my recollection.

To me it looks like these 2 below are slightly different shades, so may have been various shades of grey (oo er missus) from this shot (from Tom Curtis Gallery https://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/class-20.html  ). There is a small panel just by the cab on 20118 (blue arrow) which is in the light grey that looks like the same colour as 20132 behind.

2011820132westbury1411192.jpg.e8b71885ed3ec00366762952dee72be8.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1