Bachmann Spring 2021 - New tooling Class 20/0

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

That looked light to me and my recollection.

To me it looks like these 2 below are slightly different shades, so may have been various shades of grey (oo er missus) from this shot (from Tom Curtis Gallery https://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/class-20.html  ). There is a small panel just by the cab on 20118 (blue arrow) which is in the light grey that looks like the same colour as 20132 behind.

2011820132westbury1411192.jpg.e8b71885ed3ec00366762952dee72be8.jpg

Theres a few different yellows there too.

The dark on 20118 is closer to what I remember in the 1980’s, the shade on 20132 looks too light for 1980’s.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Theres a few different yellows there too.

The dark on 20118 is closer to what I remember in the 1980’s, the shade on 20132 looks too light for 1980’s.

It's funny, I think the opposite. Maybe there was just a lot of variation on the real things.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

It's funny, I think the opposite. Maybe there was just a lot of variation on the real things.

Funny the mind does play tricks…

from early 1990’s, 20118 was definitely pale.. (apologies gremlins were eating my slides between 1993 and 1999).

56F4B599-2935-4219-A485-312ACF0046FD.jpeg.a8e495077567605f5bfc2f79d4d0e717.jpeg

and 20132 Carlilse in August 1992

6E286875-E08B-47D1-AD2D-D287ED768AAB.jpeg.a323ce0c2b025f82df2fa49380739ac9.jpeg

Do any of you gentlemen know if the design of the bogies themselves will, or are to be changed? This was one of Bachmanns reasonably early designs and they ran very nicely and were relatively easy to convert to EM/P4 with full idependant springing to each axle. I have done a couple of the older ones and the running is superb but the older bodies really need updating. So, I wouldn't mind having a go at one of the latest ones providing the mechanism hasn't been drastically altered.  But, if it has, I will give it a miss as I have enough on my plate as it is. Cheers. HL.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/03/2021 at 08:37, Pillar said:

SLW and Accurascale are the gold standard when it comes to locos, but this Bachmann effort looks pretty impressive to me. The bogies and underframe especially look excellent and much better than the old model.

How can you say Accurascale are 'the Gold Standard' I sincerely hope they are and it all looks promising, but nothing has been delivered to UK modellers in the way of locos yet. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

On 14/08/2021 at 00:26, harry lamb said:

Do any of you gentlemen know if the design of the bogies themselves will, or are to be changed? This was one of Bachmanns reasonably early designs and they ran very nicely and were relatively easy to convert to EM/P4 with full idependant springing to each axle. I have done a couple of the older ones and the running is superb but the older bodies really need updating. So, I wouldn't mind having a go at one of the latest ones providing the mechanism hasn't been drastically altered.  But, if it has, I will give it a miss as I have enough on my plate as it is. Cheers. HL.   

Not sure what you mean, everything in the loco’s design is new, it isn’t a “refresh”, it’s an entirely new loco, including the very different mechanism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Does anyone know of a store that has these in stock AND has a Black Friday discount running?  Rails have 5% off everything in stock but guess what, they say they don’t have the 20s in stock yet……..

TMC?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Does anyone know of a store that has these in stock AND has a Black Friday discount running?  Rails have 5% off everything in stock but guess what, they say they don’t have the 20s in stock yet……..

Not sure its really worth the hassle of scouring the net to scalp a dealer of 5% even if they offer it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Not sure its really worth the hassle of scouring the net to scalp a dealer of 5% even if they offer it 

Scalp? They are publishing offers widely in the hope that people will use them, yet in your mind buying something from them is “scalping”?  What a bizarre take on things.

Oh, and I’m not scouring, I’m asking if anyone knows of anywhere so I don’t have to scour, doh!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Scalp? They are publishing offers widely in the hope that people will use them, yet in your mind buying something from them is “scalping”?  What a bizarre take on things.

Oh, and I’m not scouring, I’m asking if anyone knows of anywhere so I don’t have to scour, doh!

Well known fact that Bachmann impose a limit on maximum discount on new releases to their authorised  dealers - this being to protect the smaller dealers from losing sales to the big boys (also perhaps unfairly referred to as 'box shifters' by some). This works well for all parties and helps sustain the dealer network. I

I've yet to see a properly 'rich' model railway dealer so its fair to assume margins in the industry aren't big. The whole 'black Friday' thing is a relatively new phenomena and serves only the big chains (in all industries, not just our little world) and the result is that smaller independent companies either have rely to on the loyalty of their customers or cut their prices to match the big boys when they can't really afford to do so.

Ergo trying to squeeze another 5% out of a dealer on a Bachmann new release is effectively scalping. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Agree 2

Rich dealers ??.  Two at least, come to mind.

The owner of Hattons according to the press a few years ago, is/was a millionaire then.

The owner of Rails turned up at Hornby HQ  for a TV programme, to hassle Simon Kohler re the duplication of the Terrier models saga. In ?? a new Aston Martin.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, micklner said:

Rich dealers ??.  Two at least, come to mind.

The owner of Hattons according to the press a few years ago, is/was a millionaire then.

The owner of Rails turned up at Hornby HQ  for a TV programme, to hassle Simon Kohler re the duplication of the Terrier models saga. In ?? a new Aston Martin.

I'm going to be pedantic here and say model railway dealers. Both Hattons and Rails I'd class general model retailers (especially Hattons) and manufacturers. Aston Martins start around the 20K mark second hand (though you might need to be rich when you take it to the garage!) and whilst I'll happily stand corrected I thought the Rails owner in that TV programme had the Jaguar that looks like and Aston Martin. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, micklner said:

To be honest, being a millionaire is not hard these days, own a reasonable house in the south and you are most of the way there. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

To be honest, being a millionaire is not hard these days, own a reasonable house in the south and you are most of the way there. 

Roy

Theres a difference between being a millionaire and a 10c millionaire.

I spent a half million in a model shop one day alone.

The guy came out, gave me a chair, even brought me a beer. I stopped short at the back rub. Each model he had a lacky bring out unwrap for my viewing, had  it tested.

I paid cash, he shut up shop for the day behind me.

I went back to my hotel, and paid 2000 for a tomato soup.

Good day out in Budapest, cost me about a £1000 for a bunch of kit built brass V43’s, soup, about £4. :D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So in addition to the Black Friday discount you also want the great and good of RMWeb to do your scouring for you?

Gosh, people are struggling today, must be the weather. No, as I put in actual words, I’m asking if anyone already knows of anywhere, mr grumpy pants.

Anyway, settled for 10% off a sound fitted redstripe one (£214 posted) from these lovely people, though I must be scum to some for daring to buy one with their 10% discount applied……

https://www.jacksonsmodels.co.uk/index.jsp?searchStr=Class+20

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2021 at 15:06, JackB95 said:

Anyone after a 20227 in Rf red stripe, Rails of Sheffield have one for a bargain price of £130 in their advent sale today and today only. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/advent-calendar/products/Bachmann-35-357-class-200-headcode-box-20227-br-railfreight-red-stripe-diesel-locomotive

I've deffo not made a purchase ;)

It's only £139 in the non-advent sale! 

I did look at one of these but haven't kept up with Bachmann releases recently and couldn't believe this was actually the new model - the bonnet handrails, windscreen wipers and fan grill look as bad as always. I must be missing something...