Bachmann Spring 2021 - New products

AY Mod

1 hour ago, MattA said:

As a preservation-era modeller, I can hear my wallet pleading for mercy with the modified Modified Hall and the re-issued 4MTs in preserved identities. I am so glad to see the Mod Hall finally done justice!!

Similar to me but those that are based/or have visited NYMR and those 2 loco's are/have, expensive year I expect with the Accurascale stuff on top.  

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Consumers can get a taster of British Railway Announcements by purchasing the Bachmann Europe Model Railway Combined Volume 2021,

Is it just me, or do you find the idea of laying out money for a physical catalog rather quaint in the era of instantly-available free-to-download internet access to information...

The Modified Hall does look nice but the £184.95 price is on the high side - and significantly more than the £169.95 price for their 49xx "Stanway Hall".

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

Is it just me, or do you find the idea of laying out money for a physical catalog rather quaint in the era of instantly-available free-to-download internet access to information...

Lots of people collect catalogues. You could argue actually building a model railway in a world of simulators is quaint...

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 4

One thing that I have noticed. The new weathered 9405 is produced wrong (unless it will be changed for actual production). They used the NRM 9400 livery and tooling (subtle BR changes), changed the number to 9405, and then weathered it. So the route marker is on incorrectly placed, GWR is spaced wrong, back steps positioned wrong, polished rims, and silver accents. Not saying anything bad about the model, just a very odd choice.

I do wish there was a new GWR livery Mod Hall, but it’s bound to happen sooner or later :) even though not many of them were in GWR livery (same could be said about the 94xx’s)

2 hours ago, banburysaint said:

Is the price on the blue grey porthole coach correct at £79.95, given that the LMS version list price is £56.95? 

I forecast some time ago that from a £57 price point it would be 2 years to see the same coach at £80 given Bachmanns 20% year on year rises. Actually, I forecast £82 so its a little lower than I was expecting. So as eye popping as it is to actually see it, its not a surprise.

Kind of glad I started B/G repaints of Crim/Cream Portholes, repainting a set of £30 coaches feels much less painful now. This just gives me the impetus to source the transfers to finish them off. Presumably Bachmann haven't removed the end steps just like with the Mk1s, so at least mine are correct in that regard. None the less, they're a nice addition for transition and early OHLE layouts.

Glad to see the class 20/0 retool none the less. I'm tempted to relinquish my older models for a brace of the new ones, but I'm holding out for the Rats for now. A pity not to see those yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, does anyone know for how long Modified Hall 6998 carried a Hawksworth tender? Thanks Fred

I don't know anything exact but in photos it seems to have a Collett tender at least form 1956 to 1962 and a Hawksworth one from 1964 onwards. It was noted as being in A Shop at Swindon in December 1963 so that may give a clue to the latter date. 

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Surprised that the blue and grey portholes are main range rather than commissions or collectors club specials but no more maroon. As always the market is awash with 1st class maroon but 3rds are like hens teeth. 

I'm very happy to see them although I realise they aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'm not amiss to repainting but blue grey is a challenge for me to get close to RTR standard - the combination of a very light plus a dark colour and that infernal white line.
With the Portholes the factor that must be borne in mind is just how few all 3rds featured in the fleet, this I think influenced previous Bachmann runs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Rob Rossington said:

I'm sorry but £79.95 for a coach is just stupid. I hate to be that guy, but it just is. 

I hate to be the guy that replies but this comment is just pointless isnt it? The manufacturer prices the product, the market decides whether or not it will pay it. Its that simple. If they sit on shelves for long enough they may be reduced at some point in the future. For what its worth I do think these will sell at full price just so long as Bachmann haven't made too many of them. 

• Agree 10
  • Funny 1

Have to agree there about the thirds, it seems to be nuance of modelling that rakes of coaches have to all match. I’ve always been happy to mingle, so Porthole thirds are a minority to the more common Hornby model for my needs.

The nice thing about the B/G portholes is they play a bitsa role. You only need one or two, not a massive rake.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I'm very happy to see them although I realise they aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'm not amiss to repainting but blue grey is a challenge for me to get close to RTR standard - the combination of a very light plus a dark colour and that infernal white line.
With the Portholes the factor that must be borne in mind is just how few all 3rds featured in the fleet, this I think influenced previous Bachmann runs.

Sorry  - should have been clearer, BTK's of which there were more than 400 if I am looking at the right diagram in the Jenkinson/Essery tome. 

11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I hate to be the guy that replies but this comment is just pointless isnt it? The manufacturer prices the product, the market decides whether or not it will pay it. Its that simple. If they sit on shelves for long enough they may be reduced at some point in the future. For what its worth I do think these will sell at full price just so long as Bachmann haven't made too many of them. 

So the ever spiralling costs are not worthy of discussion? Noted. For the Record I could afford them easily, I just don't want to. I've just remembered why I don't come here very often, apparently money is no object.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

"Nothing really in it for me", but I have loads of stuff on pre order so not crying about it.

31-116A BR Standard 4MT BR2 Tender 75029 BR Lined Green (Late Crest) £209.95

I think this is an interesting one, as nameplates aside as far as I can tell it is also as preserved? (although it is in a bit of a rougher state than the model at present as far as I am aware, definitely last time I was at Grosmont)

Isn't the Hornby 4MT better and cheaper though?

32-734C Class 66/0 66100 ‘Armistice 100 1918-2018’ DB Cargo £159.95

32-734CSF Class 66/0 66100 ‘Armistice 100 1918-2018’ DB Cargo £259.95

I do like the livery/naming on that, I might bite but not near RRP for now, overrun with 66s. I do wish they'd sort the lights out on them though, it's the main thing that made me buy any Hattons ones.

Just now, Rob Rossington said:

So the ever spiralling costs are not worthy of discussion? Noted. For the Record I could afford them easily, I just don't want to. I've just remembered why I don't come here very often, apparently money is no object.

Some of the prices are eye watering but they are what they are, as long as people buy the product then the prices are acceptable to the market.

It's that simple - nothing is getting cheaper and prices only generally go one way, the more people demand in details terms of the manufacturers the more the price will accelerate.  Bachmann do recognise there are ceilings and have to make choices - take the 20/3.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

"Nothing really in it for me", but I have loads of stuff on pre order so not crying about it.

31-116A BR Standard 4MT BR2 Tender 75029 BR Lined Green (Late Crest) £209.95

I think this is an interesting one, as nameplates aside as far as I can tell it is also as preserved? (although it is in a bit of a rougher state than the model at present as far as I am aware, definitely last time I was at Grosmont)

Isn't the Hornby 4MT better and cheaper though?

32-734C Class 66/0 66100 ‘Armistice 100 1918-2018’ DB Cargo £159.95

32-734CSF Class 66/0 66100 ‘Armistice 100 1918-2018’ DB Cargo £259.95

I do like the livery/naming on that, I might bite but not near RRP for now, overrun with 66s. I do wish they'd sort the lights out on them though, it's the main thing that made me buy any Hattons ones.

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Some of the prices are eye watering but they are what they are, as long as people buy the product then the prices are acceptable to the market.

It's that simple - nothing is getting cheaper and prices only generally go one way, the more people demand in details terms of the manufacturers the more the price will accelerate.  Bachmann do recognise there are ceilings and have to make choices - take the 20/3.

Thats my point  - nothing we can do here to influence manufacturers prices as they are determined by the market. I've got two of the latest Bachmann Standard 4's (lovely runners and really well finished I think)  - both were less than £60 off ebay. So there are practical steps we can take if not happy with new catalogue prices :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

The Modified Hall does look nice but the £184.95 price is on the high side - and significantly more than the £169.95 price for their 49xx "Stanway Hall".

Mike.

The press release announces improvements to the front end of the Modified Hall. This was the subject of much controversy when the model was first released several years ago and a matter raised by me amongst others at the time.Having looked at the images posted by Andy Y then unless they merely represent pre production articles,there is still one glaring omission which I hope they will rectify before it finally reaches these shores. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Rob Rossington said:

So the ever spiralling costs are not worthy of discussion?

Done to death, go back and read if you wish; you didn't need to tell us again.

For the Record I could afford them easily, I just don't want to.

That's fine; that's your decision but we don't really need to know either parts.

(1) I've just remembered why I don't come here very often, (2) apparently money is no object.

1 - No one made you; you wanted to and you chose to post.

2 - Cod, a lot of people do a lot with next to nothing.

Believe what you wish.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I find that as the prices go up I get more and more selective. There are models I would be willing to pay the market rate for, but none of those being offered (with the possible exception of the non-sound-fitted WHR 590 in maroon—previously sound-fitted only) falls into that category. I'll be sticking with my existing class 20s which I'm perfectly happy with.

I might be interested in the sound-fitted 121 if the price comes down by about 33%. If not, I can do without.

I note that Rails had a special offer on Bachmann OO autocoaches a little while ago. They sold out in a day. How long were they sitting on the shelves at the higher price?

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

44 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thats my point

Not sure why you are quoting me, I aren't complaining about prices other than pointing out that as far as I was aware it is undercut by what I believe is thought to be a better model.

On another note, something I have noticed is that some of the dates for these new releases are in more than 3 months time. I thought these releases were for 3 months after the announcement, are they in fact for Q2?

44 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I find that as the prices go up I get more and more selective.

I work a bit like that.

Some stuff I have in my head I want it and I'll buy it whatever it costs within reason, assuming it's up to spec. If they had done a Northern 158 or an orange FL 90 both of those would have been on that list and been preordered by now, but I aren't upset they haven't as I expect they will one day.

Other stuff I keep an eye on to see if it drops as I either don't want it enough for the price or I have other priorities and therefore aren't in a hurry, I end up buy some of this sort of thing, others I don't. 75029 and 66100 are in this category.

But given there is only so much money to go round the price creep does naturally force us to be more selective. It doesn't bother me so long as the model is deserving of it.

• Agree 2