Bachmann Spring 2021 - New products

AY Mod

54 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I find that as the prices go up I get more and more selective. There are models I would be willing to pay the market rate for, but none of those being offered (with the possible exception of the non-sound-fitted WHR 590 in maroon—previously sound-fitted only) falls into that category. I'll be sticking with my existing class 20s which I'm perfectly happy with.

I might be interested in the sound-fitted 121 if the price comes down by about 33%. If not, I can do without.

I note that Rails had a special offer on Bachmann OO autocoaches a little while ago. They sold out in a day. How long were they sitting on the shelves at the higher price?

I Agree the higher prices probably make us all a bit more selective but if retailers reduce prices are you then happy to see a retailer with no margin especially when they collect the VAT and pay back to HMRC? Not to mention all the other costs of running a shop. 

There isn’t vast profits to be made even at list prices.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Disappointed still no LMS standard crimson Compound, but very happy with the Portholes even at the RRP (which a certain box shifter is discounting already) and I'll happily add a BSK and SK to the existing rake of ex LMS P3 and Porthole CK in maroon for Wednesford's passengers to be bounced around in to Stoke and Manchester behind an 81, 85 or 86 in 1967. 

Otherwise a rather quiet announcement, probably no surprise given world events, plus isn't it Chinese New Year soon?  Perhaps they are holding back to see how many staff return after the holiday.      

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MattA said:

I am so glad to see the Mod Hall finally done justice!!

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I hope Burton Agnes Hall is going to have a fire iron tunnel....

It was small errors like that which ruined the last batch of Modified Halls.

The Modified Hall does look much more accurate now. I too hope BAH will have the fire iron tunnel. Without it, no purchase so I'm hoping its just a photoshopping issue for the catalogue and the actual model will be correct.

As regards 45060, it looks like the improved cabside grills on the current sealed beam limited editions haven't been carried over to the headcode versions.

Edited by brushman47544
Add comment on 45060

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

On the blue/grey Potholes- how many made it into blue/grey if anyone knows please. 

I don't have exact numbers but a recent Hornby magazine (issue 163) states 'only a handful carried the new blue and grey livery introduced in 1965'. It then goes on to say 'Equally unusual - for a few years at least - was a set consisting entirely of blue and grey coaches'. So, err, more than 8 but perhaps not by much?!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Big James said:

I really like the new buildings especially the Oast House. But I’m just curious to the prototypes of station buildings?

Big James

Hi James,

If you have a look on Flickr at Arnside station the station building is spot on for that. Plus goes with the previous stone signal

box which was based on the one at Arnside too. The new signal box I really like the look of as it matches the Furness Railway one at Dalton Junction.

cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And modifying their 'Modified Hall' to make it actually look like a 'Modified Hall' is a very sensible step - provided they make sure about the fireiron tunnel

Bachmann have confirmed "this was a simple omission on the sample that was photographed and will be present on the finished item".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I'll be sticking with my existing class 20s which I'm perfectly happy with.

I agree. No doubt I will end up buying one or two of the new 20s to supplement my current fleet, however,  having fitted lights and sound to my current models, they new versions are not such a leap forward as to make upgrade the entire lot.

Roy

• Agree 1

• Moderators
Just now, Roy Langridge said:

having fitted lights and sound to my current models, they new versions are not such a leap forward as to make upgrade the entire lot.

Quite understandable as there wasn't much of substance that was wrong with the previous model anyway; it's just that the market demands (sometimes very loudly) that they should upgrade older models to have such features.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

Quite understandable as there wasn't much of substance that was wrong with the previous model anyway; it's just that the market demands (sometimes very loudly) that they should upgrade older models to have such features.

Yep, I like my Bachmann 20s (and own far too many, despite just ebaying three).

As I stated in the other thread about the announcements, none of Bachmann’s current diesel models are horrendous and I wouldn’t want the job of deciding what to upgrade as it gets harder and harder to bring about a change that leaves people “having” to upgrade. 

Roy

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, banburysaint said:

Is the price on the blue grey porthole coach correct at £79.95, given that the LMS version list price is £56.95? 

£67.95 at retailers, call it £68.

Of course, they have passengers and lights too. Oh, hang on a minute...:jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, steve1023 said:

On the blue/grey Potholes- how many made it into blue/grey if anyone knows please. 

1 hour ago, alexross42 said:

I don't have exact numbers but a recent Hornby magazine (issue 163) states 'only a handful carried the new blue and grey livery introduced in 1965'. It then goes on to say 'Equally unusual - for a few years at least - was a set consisting entirely of blue and grey coaches'. So, err, more than 8 but perhaps not by much?!

They'd have had a job doing a full rake of them, it would have been a rather odd formation!

Off the top of my head it was 11 ex-LMS portholes, plus a few 12 wheel sleepers. 8 BSK, 2 SK and 1 CK. So with Bachmann doing two SK, that was the entire fleet of those in that condition. I'd have thought they would do it the other way around with two BSK and one SK, that would make more sense to me.

I'm struggling to find my reference for the Porthole vehicle numbers which carried B/G, which really helps with my transfer requirements!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Nothing for me, as yet. But the retool of the class 20 gives hope for future reissues, blue with tablet recess and a green disc fitted FYE hint hint. In one respect my wallet is heaving a sigh of relieve as it's had a hammering of preorders from Heljan(multiples), SLW and Accurascale. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39-452 LMS 57ft ‘Porthole’ Second Corridor BR Blue & Grey - this is M13167M by the late Tony Dyer of Kemilway https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/p116080428/e6383cf6f

Lots of photos of 20312, an interesting weathering project for the RHTT trains. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brclass20/e20c51e60

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Zunnan said:

I'm struggling to find my reference for the Porthole vehicle numbers which carried B/G, which really helps with my transfer requirements!

Answering my own conundrum, the LMSCA lists the following Portholes known to be in Blue Grey

M24635M (D2159) CK

M26929M (D2161) BSK

M26948M (D2161) BSK

M26986M (D2161) BSK

M27000M (D2161) BSK

M27001M (D2161) BSK

M26064M (D2161) BSK

M27077M (D2161) BSK

M27083M (D2161) BSK

M27001M (D2161) BSK (added edit)

As well as one other SK (ex-TK) from an earlier LMS design

M12992M (D2119) SK

The LMSCA don't list the SK(ex-TK) but those are ~

M13135M (D2170) SK

M13167M (D2170) SK

Edited by Zunnan
Found a BSK listed out of sequence on LMSCA
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The press release announces improvements to the front end of the Modified Hall. This was the subject of much controversy when the model was first released several years ago and a matter raised by me amongst others at the time.Having looked at the images posted by Andy Y then unless they merely represent pre production articles,there is still one glaring omission which I hope they will rectify before it finally reaches these shores. 

I think the answer to a glaring omission is 'no' (glaring omission) and 'yes' (there is a glaring omission) if you look at them in numerical order.  one of them has the fireiron tunnel and the other one doesn't.  Hopefully by the time they arrive here they will both have the correct part or maybe Bachmann will be able to supply the moulding for the missing part?

AY Mod's comment above subsequently noted - VMT

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, banburysaint said:

Is the price on the blue grey porthole coach correct at £79.95, given that the LMS version list price is £56.95? 

What have Bachmann been on, have they fitted lights? Its not April 1 is it? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Bachmann have confirmed "this was a simple omission on the sample that was photographed and will be present on the finished item".

Oh good.   I'm beginning to wish I hadn't spent part of my lunch hour googling prototype photos of the loco in the 50s/60s to see if Bachmann had in fact got it right!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Oh good.   I'm beginning to wish I hadn't spent part of my lunch hour googling prototype photos of the loco in the 50s/60s to see if Bachmann had in fact got it right!

Fire iron tunnels were fitted to all locomotives from somewhere in the 59XX sequence. Not those below 5920 though. I don't think they were retro fitted.

Without doing any research it was certainly those above 5952 as Cogan Hall has one.

I'm assuming it was 5921 upwards as 5926 also had one.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p413695055/e863ff64c

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think the answer to a glaring omission is 'no' (glaring omission) and 'yes' (there is a glaring omission) if you look at them in numerical order.  one of them has the fireiron tunnel and the other one doesn't.  Hopefully by the time they arrive here they will both have the correct part or maybe Bachmann will be able to supply the moulding for the missing part?

AY Mod's comment above subsequently noted - VMT

Sorry Mike for leading you in the wrong direction. The omission I refer to is once again the absence of the baffle plate mounted between the leading wheels on the front bogie. Unless of course it’s included in the accessory bag with the new model. This as we know was one of the prime distinguishing features of the 6959 series when viewed from head on.Anyway hopefully it will appear on the corrected model,rather than getting a Brassmaster kit ,which I had fitted for me on the first release 4/5 years ago.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, alexross42 said:

A set of them ,never seen pictures of that. Apparently some were eth fitted so I'm guessing there was a set for WCML . I've seen odd blue and greys on other trains some were specials for the end of steam .

Were there other Stanier coaches in blue and grey? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yep, I like my Bachmann 20s (and own far too many, despite just ebaying three).

As I stated in the other thread about the announcements, none of Bachmann’s current diesel models are horrendous and I wouldn’t want the job of deciding what to upgrade as it gets harder and harder to bring about a change that leaves people “having” to upgrade. 

Roy

I think the days of automatically junking a current fleet for the next upgrade are generally behind us. The Bachmann Deltic is considered old hat these days by the connoisseur, but compared to the Lima offering which had been the only thing on the market for 20 years previously it was (and is) light years ahead. You'd definitely want to move from a Lima to a Bachmann, but the gap to the Accurascale model (as an example) will be less marked.
The class 20 is due a re-run and an upgrade to meet current market expectations at the price point its sold at is expected - but it in no way relegates previous issues to the disposal list. And - heretic that I am - I do not consider lights essential on any model that predates the headlight/market light era; they simply weren't that noticeable in daylight running, so whilst they are pretty indispensable on the DRS/Harry Needle versions they are (for me) merely a 'nice to have' for the earlier outline issues.

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

19 minutes ago, russ p said:

A set of them ,never seen pictures of that. Apparently some were eth fitted so I'm guessing there was a set for WCML . I've seen odd blue and greys on other trains some were specials for the end of steam .

Were there other Stanier coaches in blue and grey? 

According to the LMSCA there was quite a lot of D1999 Open Third (second) in B/G, perhaps as many as 20 of them. There was also the D2166 sleeper first and D2169 sleeper thirds which made into B/G in decent numbers. And I'm certain I've seen a photo of a D1968 (or similar) Brake Third (second). Then there was the 50ft full brakes, which made it into Blue and B/G and lasted into the '80s.

To be honest, I find the notion of a rake comprised purely of Portholes even in C/C or Maroon livery as somewhat unlikely, so the chances in B/G were even slimmer given their rarity by that point. There was only 3 which weren't brake vehicles, so unless it was a 5 coach (or less) train it would have to have been padded out with the D1999 opens if a plausible rake of entirely B/G ex-LMS stock were assembled. That or a sleeper service, again using non Porthole vehicles. Bachmann have shied away from doing M24635M, so that rake even further diminishes.

The ETH fitted ones for WCML workings are quite easy to spot if the photos are high enough quality, they have prominent weld lines low down on the tumbeholm and that included vehicles which remained in Maroon livery.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1