Bachmann Spring 2021 - New products

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

Answering my own conundrum, the LMSCA lists the following Portholes known to be in Blue Grey

M24635M (D2159) CK

M26929M (D2161) BSK

M26948M (D2161) BSK

M26986M (D2161) BSK

M27000M (D2161) BSK

M27001M (D2161) BSK

M26064M (D2161) BSK

M27077M (D2161) BSK

M27083M (D2161) BSK

M27001M (D2161) BSK (added edit)

As well as one other SK (ex-TK) from an earlier LMS design

M12992M (D2119) SK

The LMSCA don't list the SK(ex-TK) but those are ~

M13135M (D2170) SK

M13167M (D2170) SK

These vehicles could get about - Irwell's 'Book of the Warships' shows a blue/grey BSK behind D827 Kelly on a Penzance to Wolverhampton working at Plymouth North Road in June 1968 (another view I've seen of the loco shows it to be M26986M), which I see is on your list).

The RRP made me wince too, but then so did Hornby's blue/grey Gresley Buffet. I suspect the production run will be deliberately limited as I can't imagine huge demand for a short-lived livery in an unpopular period (even if I like it!) It looks like these models will be available at around £68, that's about £20-25 above the maroon versions (I think), but let's put this into perspective. I'm sure most of us realise that our hobby involves a time vs cost balancing act. As a classic example, I have just obtained an unmade DC Kits Class 205 2H kit for just less than £50. I reckon I can get it built for less than £100 all in. I could have bought the RTR Bachmann model, plonked it on the track and job done, but I elected to spend many hours on the kit and save well over £100 (it will run beside a pair of Limby Class 73s, not Dapol, so you can see where I'm coming from!) I had considered repainting a Bachmann 'Porthole' into blue/grey myself but the livery is a bit of a pain to apply and line, and the very tight-fitting flush glazing afforded by modern tooling techniques can be another stumbling block during reassembly of a repainted model........ assuming you can remove it in the first place! In this case, since I would only require the one blue/grey 'Porthole' I would be inclined to smile, cough up and admire Bachmann's livery application which would doubtless be better than anything I could achieve.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

These vehicles could get about - Irwell's 'Book of the Warships' shows a blue/grey BSK behind D827 Kelly on a Penzance to Wolverhampton working at Plymouth North Road in June 1968 (another view I've seen of the loco shows it to be M26986M), which I see is on your list).

The RRP made me wince too, but then so did Hornby's blue/grey Gresley Buffet. I suspect the production run will be deliberately limited as I can't imagine huge demand for a short-lived livery in an unpopular period (even if I like it!) It looks like these models will be available at around £68, that's about £20-25 above the maroon versions (I think), but let's put this into perspective. I'm sure most of us realise that our hobby involves a time vs cost balancing act. As a classic example, I have just obtained an unmade DC Kits Class 205 2H kit for just less than £50. I reckon I can get it built for less than £100 all in. I could have bought the RTR Bachmann model, plonked it on the track and job done, but I elected to spend many hours on the kit and save well over £100 (it will run beside a pair of Limby Class 73s, not Dapol, so you can see where I'm coming from!) I had considered repainting a Bachmann 'Porthole' into blue/grey myself but the livery is a bit of a pain to apply and line, and the very tight-fitting flush glazing afforded by modern tooling techniques can be another stumbling block during reassembly of a repainted model........ assuming you can remove it in the first place! In this case, since I would only require the one blue/grey 'Porthole' I would be inclined to smile, cough up and admire Bachmann's livery application which would doubtless be better than anything I could achieve.

With you on that one - will grin and bear it for the one BSK that we now will not need to respray from maroon....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I think the days of automatically junking a current fleet for the next upgrade are generally behind us. The Bachmann Deltic is considered old hat these days by the connoisseur, but compared to the Lima offering which had been the only thing on the market for 20 years previously it was (and is) light years ahead. You'd definitely want to move from a Lima to a Bachmann, but the gap to the Accurascale model (as an example) will be less marked.
The class 20 is due a re-run and an upgrade to meet current market expectations at the price point its sold at is expected - but it in no way relegates previous issues to the disposal list. And - heretic that I am - I do not consider lights essential on any model that predates the headlight/market light era; they simply weren't that noticeable in daylight running, so whilst they are pretty indispensable on the DRS/Harry Needle versions they are (for me) merely a 'nice to have' for the earlier outline issues.

how can you even say there not important they must be when they have been industry standard in diesels for as nearly as long as i can remember modelling, just because you don't personally care doesn't mean people don't i certainly do, i had pre ordered the dcc ready ones and have cancelled and when you look at the dcc sound ones which would really tempt me, at over £500 for a pair cos lets be honest you need two really its just not justifiable to expect the customer to just "deal with it" with a full price loco with half the spec.

at the moment i have no Bachmann locos having just started again and looks like i won't have any for a while.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, russ p said:

A set of them ,never seen pictures of that. Apparently some were eth fitted so I'm guessing there was a set for WCML .

The blue/grey Porthole Brakes were done because of a shortage of BSOs when the electric services were extended to Birmingham. I travelled in them regularly in 1967/8. They ran mainly on trains calling Coventry-Birmingham-Wolverhampton-Stafford-Crewe then alternate hours on to Runcorn-Liverpool or Stockport-Manchester. They were ETH fitted and limited to 90mph, so quite an entertaining ride when the driver forget there was one on and hit about 105 through Betley Road. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

85A men really rated their 79xx Halls as equivalent to a Castle,

Halls were the weapon of choice for the Big Pilot at Snow Hill, which spent most of its time shunting the odd van or coach around the station but had to be ready at a moment's notice to take a Class 1 train to Paddington.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Answering my own conundrum, the LMSCA lists the following Portholes known to be in Blue Grey

M24635M (D2159) CK

M26929M (D2161) BSK

M26948M (D2161) BSK

M26986M (D2161) BSK

M27000M (D2161) BSK

M27001M (D2161) BSK

M26064M (D2161) BSK

M27077M (D2161) BSK

M27083M (D2161) BSK

M27001M (D2161) BSK (added edit)

As well as one other SK (ex-TK) from an earlier LMS design

M12992M (D2119) SK

The LMSCA don't list the SK(ex-TK) but those are ~

M13135M (D2170) SK

M13167M (D2170) SK

What were the BSKs used for, that made them so “Blue” worthy ?

i’m guessing the SKs and BSK never ran together as a uniform blue rake ?

18 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The marker lights won't work on either version. But will just the standard lighting controls for the rest or the lighting. 

so again then how can the charge that amount of money when in todays day and age it could have been done very easily seems more of a can't be bothered move

2 hours ago, lwnameplates said:

how can you even say there not important they must be when they have been industry standard in diesels for as nearly as long as i can remember modelling, just because you don't personally care doesn't mean people don't i certainly do, i had pre ordered the dcc ready ones and have cancelled and when you look at the dcc sound ones which would really tempt me, at over £500 for a pair cos lets be honest you need two really its just not justifiable to expect the customer to just "deal with it" with a full price loco with half the spec.

at the moment i have no Bachmann locos having just started again and looks like i won't have any for a while.

Working lights on premium models are now considered a necessity - and indeed these days for a £150+ model the expectation is for switchable cab lights, marker lights front and rear (day and night mode where relevant) and for all I know probably the Christmas tree lights in the train driver's house too. I'm not arguing against this - I just said that I personally could live without any lights on pre marker/headlight fitted diesels my own personal view which I'm entitled to. All it means is that certain older (and in many cases far cheaper) models are still attractive to me when they may not appeal to others.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, rhydddu said:

Very disappointing to only see the only ‘new’ narrow gauge is a set of locos which were already available but now with sound on board. No news on many items announced years ago. 

It would be nice at least to see the WD and ALR locos with new identities...

4 hours ago, lwnameplates said:

how can you even say there not important they must be when they have been industry standard in diesels for as nearly as long as i can remember modelling

But prior to the introduction of high intensity headlights you couldn't see marker lights on the real thing in daylight half the time, and you certainly couldn't see whether the headcode blind lights were on or off unless it was dark. So they're not important for me either, to the extent that I usually disconnect them if they can't be switched off (DC), especially if they're 'cool white'. 

Just because you can fit a particular feature doesn't mean it's realistic or even correct. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Rob Rossington said:

So the ever spiralling costs are not worthy of discussion? Noted. For the Record I could afford them easily, I just don't want to. I've just remembered why I don't come here very often, apparently money is no object.

Its more the point that complaining about high prices on here is futile and listening to such grumbles for the umpteenth time is tedious to say the least.

Manufacturers DO NOT take notice of complaints about prices on here or anywhere else any more than Apple do from smartphone users. RTR pricing strategy is, like any business, based on what the manufacturers accountants recommend will return them a decent profit (unless stuff is not selling at which point they may have a rethink).

That is the brutal truth and why we do not want to listen to your opinions on the price of things you have no intention of purchasing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

But prior to the introduction of high intensity headlights you couldn't see marker lights on the real thing in daylight half the time, and you certainly couldn't see whether the headcode blind lights were on or off unless it was dark. So they're not important for me either, to the extent that I usually disconnect them if they can't be switched off (DC), especially if they're 'cool white'. 

Just because you can fit a particular feature doesn't mean it's realistic or even correct. 

i must be the only one who actually likes sitting in the dark quiet a lot with all my little layout lights shining, its a lot easier to sort a bright white light than replacing no light at all 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lwnameplates said:

i must be the only one who actually likes sitting in the dark quiet a lot with all my little layout lights shining, its a lot easier to sort a bright white light than replacing no light at all 

Why don't they make them more realistic in the first place.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What were the BSKs used for, that made them so “Blue” worthy ?

i’m guessing the SKs and BSK never ran together as a uniform blue rake ?

See my post about five above yours.

10 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The blue/grey Porthole Brakes were done because of a shortage of BSOs when the electric services were extended to Birmingham. I travelled in them regularly in 1967/8. They ran mainly on trains calling Coventry-Birmingham-Wolverhampton-Stafford-Crewe then alternate hours on to Runcorn-Liverpool or Stockport-Manchester. They were ETH fitted...........

They were used in blue/grey rakes of Mk1 and early Mk2 stock out of Euston.

• Like 2

I was literally just about to post your quote for that. :good:

They roamed far and wide from WCML workings as well, there is plenty of footage of them on steam workings in the Northwest, and they travelled south too as witnessed by photos of at least one behind a Warship. They quite frequently appeared as the only B/G coaches in otherwise Maroon rakes of Mk1 vehicles, so they stood out a bit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Its more the point that complaining about high prices on here is futile and listening to such grumbles for the umpteenth time is tedious to say the least.

Manufacturers DO NOT take notice of complaints about prices on here or anywhere else any more than Apple do from smartphone users. RTR pricing strategy is, like any business, based on what the manufacturers accountants recommend will return them a decent profit (unless stuff is not selling at which point they may have a rethink).

That is the brutal truth and why we do not want to listen to your opinions on the price of things you have no intention of purchasing.

Stating the obvious, maybe, a successful company won't usually set prices by asking how much it costs to make something then adding a bit to return a profit - they'll try to work out what price maximises overall profit, and that depends on what price people are willing to pay. 

I'm quite happy to believe that they don't work out what the market will bear by reading web forums - I have no idea. But somebody in the company has to take a view on how demand will alter with price.

Either way though I think I've probably read enough on the subject now.

11 hours ago, rhydddu said:

Very disappointing to only see the only ‘new’ narrow gauge is a set of locos which were already available but now with sound on board. No news on many items announced years ago. 

We seem to have come quite a long way in a few years from "There's no market for narrow gauge RTR" to "How disappointing - no new RTR narrow gauge locos this quarter"

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The omission I refer to is once again the absence of the baffle plate mounted between the leading wheels on the front bogie. Unless of course it’s included in the accessory bag with the new model. This as we know was one of the prime distinguishing features of the 6959 series when viewed from head on.

I guessed that's what you meant as its omission does stand out. But thinking about it, how would you fit a coupling on the front of the loco if the baffle plate was a fixed part? Some Bachmann diesels (Class 37 and 47 come to mind) have snow ploughs provided to fit into the NEM coupling pocket. I agree it would be nice if Bachmann was offering that option for the baffle plate, but I'll let them off if they don't.

• Like 1

So it's just a couple of Braziers for me - a useful little addition to the range !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re the LMS Portholes, I think a thread on here many moons ago stated they were repainted as there was a shortage of BSK' s at the time. I remember seeing one about 1969 / 70 in the scrap line at Central Wagon Ince, it looked freshly repainted (or just clean) at the time, and stood out like a sore thumb.

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

I was literally just about to post your quote for that. :good:

They roamed far and wide from WCML workings as well, there is plenty of footage of them on steam workings in the Northwest, and they travelled south too as witnessed by photos of at least one behind a Warship. They quite frequently appeared as the only B/G coaches in otherwise Maroon rakes of Mk1 vehicles, so they stood out a bit.

They were replaced in the WCML rakes as soon as Mk2 deliveries arrived during 1968. BR were very fussy about their new electric express trains being all blue/grey and using electrics for every possible train under the wires, even to the extent of Class 7 freights composed of 16T minerals with a fitted head.

As soon as new stock arrived the portholes were cascaded to normal use in the north of the LMR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3