Bachmann Spring 2021 - New products

AY Mod

On 07/02/2021 at 19:41, Henry 84F said:

There hasn't been any mention of this so I assume not although, like you, I hope they do! Not only is it a fiddly decoder fit but also removing the ballast makes the loco quite light. I actually reverted my Hall to analogue because its haulage capacity was poor after the decoder went in. I did have some success with another Hall and a nano decoder which just about fit under the cab floor. Let's see what Bachmann come up with but I'm really pleased to see them rectify this model. A great move.

Henry 

Like you both I would also hope the socket is moved into the tender - but I think Bachmann will use exactly the same chassis and have reprofiled the body moulding - so think it will be exactly as it was before. If that's the case, Bachmann just lost a sale. 

When the Bachmann Modified Hall was first launched it was, for its time, an excellent model apart from the boob of omitting the fire-iron tunnel. However, things have moved on and it noticeably lacks features such as a fall plate and provision for sound. I don’t think it needs a retool but an upgrade would be very welcome.

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

When the Bachmann Modified Hall was first launched it was, for its time, an excellent model apart from the boob of omitting the fire-iron tunnel. However, things have moved on and it noticeably lacks features such as a fall plate and provision for sound. I don’t think it needs a retool but an upgrade would be very welcome.

Err... the last release of the Modified Hall (approx 2016?)  had a completely inaccurate front end beneath the smokebox door. It had the correct extension frames, but the wrong type of running board “drop” over the cylinders - it mixed the standard Hall running board drop with the extension frames of the Modified Hall. 

Brassmasters had to issue a brass fret of parts to help rectify, which I am currently mid-way through completing. 

CoY 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just in case anyone is interested, I asked the same question to Bachmann that I had posed here about the artwork for the 4MT. They said it will carry the shed code 81F (Oxford), so that’s 1960-61 condition. 

Edited by Adrock
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Err... the last release of the Modified Hall (approx 2016?)  had a completely inaccurate front end beneath the smokebox door. It had the correct extension frames, but the wrong type of running board “drop” over the cylinders - it mixed the standard Hall running board drop with the extension frames of the Modified Hall. 

Brassmasters had to issue a brass fret of parts to help rectify, which I am currently mid-way through completing. 

CoY 

OK, apart from the fire iron tunnel, the inaccurate front end beneath the smokebox door and the wrong type of running board drop over the cylinders, what did the Romans…

It could still do with an upgrade. Mutter, mutter.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

OK, apart from the fire iron tunnel, the inaccurate front end beneath the smokebox door and the wrong type of running board drop over the cylinders, what did the Romans…

It could still do with an upgrade. Mutter, mutter.

I wonder whether Brassmasters will make another killing on this one ?

22 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Like you both I would also hope the socket is moved into the tender - but I think Bachmann will use exactly the same chassis and have reprofiled the body moulding - so think it will be exactly as it was before. If that's the case, Bachmann just lost a sale. 

I seem to remember at the time (around 2013) the chassis used for the modified hall was the same as the one used for the Collett halls introduced a few year earlier (around 2005?). When the first modified halls were sent back to China (due to the numerous errors on the first lot) it was discovered that the front end under the smokebox could not be corrected due to the shape of the chassis and the location of the front screw mounting location.

As such major changes would be needed to enable a correct modified hall, I would be very hopeful of a completely new chassis. The 2005 one has the really silly design for DCC fitting (taking out most of the engine's weight), no easy option for sound fitting and as many people have found has a tendency to have very rough running characteristics.

If Bachmann have completely redone the chassis I would be in the market for quite a few new halls and modified halls. The body on the hall is very good (about even with the Hornby one in my opinion) and with the last few corrections the same will be true for the modified halls, but I can't emphasis enough how disappointed I have been by the chassis under all the hall variants I've used since the 2005 release.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Must admit decision to do 45060 is a surprise, thought after the recent release of 45/0s they may have gone for TInsley painted named versions at the end of their operating life. 

Bachmann’s images also show the previous nose tooling without the improvements (e.g. the grill clips) on the sealed beam versions. Same for 46020. A slight disincentive to buy if that’s how they arrive.

14 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Must admit decision to do 45060 is a surprise, thought after the recent release of 45/0s they may have gone for TInsley painted named versions at the end of their operating life. 

OTOH 45060 in plain BR blue lasted much longer in service than the Tinsley versions, so more useful to me !

There are plenty of pictures of the modified Modified Hall on the Bachmann website that I hadn’t noticed before. To my eyes it looks like the only changes since the last release are the bogie and smokebox saddle.

Other than the front of the bogie which has been mentioned many times now, the only little thing which didn’t look correct to me was the curved sections of the front footplate (in front of the valves). These seem to be detailed with inspection covers and rivets as on a Collett Hall not the Modified Hall ones which are comparatively plain. The washout plugs are also overdone, but that’s always been the case on all the Bachmann Halls.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

The Class 66 (standard & sound fitted), GWR 94XX and the sound fitted Class 121 DMUs have arrived at Bachmann, along with the previously announced Brighton Atlantics and sound fitted 117 DMU http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2021/02/new-from-graham-farish-Bachmann-branchline-february-2021/

I wonder if this includes the collectors club Captain Tom models?

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2021 at 09:36, MatthewCarty said:

There are plenty of pictures of the modified Modified Hall on the Bachmann website that I hadn’t noticed before. To my eyes it looks like the only changes since the last release are the bogie and smokebox saddle.

Only.. thats an understatement of the day.

That smokebox saddle really made a modified hall look...well only way to describe it is... er unmodified.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Only.. thats an understatement of the day.

That smokebox saddle really made a modified hall look...well only way to describe it is... er unmodified.

I meant 'only' in the more literal meaning i.e. exclusively, rather than in the 'merely' sense. I know this was the main gripe with the previous version as it is a major difference from the prototype. I'm sure it will make a huge difference to the overall feel of the model, I'm just concerned that once again we might end up being left with a Modified Hall that isn't quite right.

I was just disappointed that on this third attempt it seems Bachmann still haven't taken the time to go and have a proper look and careful examination of what they are trying to produce. It seems all the way through the Modified Hall project all they have done is very basic reading of a description of the main differences between the two classes. I'm sure that's not the case, but there does seem to have been this constant feeling of them not knowing the prototype thoroughly. An equivalent (when doing the LNER A2) would have been to take the A1 and adjust it slightly to take smaller wheels without considering any other details.

Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but it just always feels like Bachmann have been a step behind on this project.

• Agree 1

Hi all, I think this is the best place for this post...

I'm in the market for a 2MT Tank as it fits my current Clevedon branch project well. 

I've noticed Bachmann's 31-443 Ivatt 2MT Tank listed on their website here:

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/lms-ivatt-2mt-tank-41227-br-lined-black-(british-railways)/31-443

What do we know about this? Specifically:

Is this an upcoming new tooling and/or mechanism or is it just a new batch of the old tooling?

If it is new, what does "awaiting" mean on the Bachmann site?

I've recently bought Class 03 (Fantastic!), and have my eyes on the 94xx after Sam's youtube review. Based on these, if this is a new Ivatt 2MT tank, I'll definitely be placing a  pre-order!  Plus I'm a big fan of Next18 decoders, if one can be a 'fan' of such things!

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere else. I searched the forum for Bachmann 31-443, Ivatt 2-6-2, 2MT tank but couldn't find what I'm looking for.  Will keep looking though.

Edited by GWL

15 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The chassis was reworked from recollection a couple a couple of years back. 

Unfortunately, this revamp didn't extend to the the loco body.

A very consistent and smooth running item though.

Thanks @Black 5 Bear! So, reading between the lines, this could come with a reworked body this time around, but we won't know until we hear more from Bachmann?

And any word on what Awaiting means? I'm assuming Awaiting start of production rather than awaiting delivery, seeing as other models have a date attached?

Edited by GWL

16 minutes ago, GWL said:

Thanks @Black 5 Bear! So, reading between the lines, this could come with a reworked body this time around, but we won't know until we hear more from Bachmann?

And any word on what Awaiting means? I'm assuming Awaiting start of production rather than awaiting delivery, seeing as other models have a date attached?

I don't think they would retool the body this time round as it was only a DCC upgrade. They've been working on upgrading the chassis of their older models over the last few years. Of course there could be a surprise but unlikely. 

Awaiting probably means just that, where there is no known planned delivery date. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The newest 2MT tank I have is DCC with a Next 18 chip, a one-piece chassis replacing the old split axle design. 

A very nice runner (and it has a motion bracket, which the original ones didn't) but it still has the old body. I gather that Bachmann have taken some flak over that, as they did with their V2. That has subsequently received a retooled body. Hopefully, we'll see something similar happen with the Ivatt in the fullness of time.

Incidentally, I haven't noticed anything about it on here, but Bachmann's website has an announcement of some sort of announcement to come this Monday, 8th March, at 10 am.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The newest 2MT tank I have is DCC with a Next 18 chip, a one-piece chassis replacing the old split axle design. 

A very nice runner (and it has a motion bracket, which the original ones didn't) but it still has the old body. I gather that Bachmann have taken some flak over that, as they did with their V2. That has subsequently received a retooled body. Hopefully, we'll see something similar happen with the Ivatt in the fullness of time.

Incidentally, I haven't noticed anything about it on here, but Bachmann's website has an announcement of some sort of announcement to come this Monday, 8th March, at 10 am.

John

Progress announcement on their 25 perhaps? 

4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

This is the piece from the email I got the other day from the collectors club. Doesn't seem that exciting as its nothing to do with the railway brands

"On Monday Bachmann Europe will be launching the first ever MCC Announcements, covering our plastic kit, toy and collectable brands, and as a valued member of the Bachmann Collectors Club we would like to share this news with you! Just like with the British Railway Announcements, MCC Announcements will showcase all of the latest news on plastic kits, toys and collectables from Bachmann Europe every quarter. Please join us for the virtual launch on Monday at 10:00am. "

Just now, Phil Bullock said:

Progress announcement on their 25 perhaps? 

I've never known Bachmann to to interim updates on their models other than exhibitions/collectors club. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1