Bachmann Spring 2021 - New products

AY Mod

On 08/03/2021 at 11:16, Mike Bellamy said:

OK so who's going to be first to build a 7mm layout using the Natural History Museum Dinosaurs - at a scale of 1:40 that's almost O Gauge!!

Mike

Wrong scale for me. :stop:

Anyway, not my era!  xD

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2021 at 07:41, Phil Bullock said:

Rumours that the range included a 1:76 scale model of the latest dinosaur discovery ... the Rivetcountasaurus ... are unfounded. 

Sorry Phil, they have in fact evolved.  After many years in the wilderness, they became the Notformee  tribe.  Sometime in the past, they formed into two distinct sub-species. The one species has got impeccable eyesight;  can tell the difference of all  the different shades of green whilst standing on top of a rain-drenched hillside in midwinter. The second species  is a bit more vocal, and given to religious chants.  "How Much? Jesus! 

Both species can and do freely intermingle, and are known to sometimes breed. A quite social animal by nature, large gatherings of them will swarm during the year, when they will perform some strange rituals of poking other members of the tribe in the eye with long, thin bits of steel, eating Scotch Eggs, and sniffing methane of various aroma. 

Tootle pip!

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After the 94xx saga, I really hope they don't announce anything I want.  I couldn't cope with all that again...

OTOH, given that Baccy have form in doing better versions of Hornby locos (Jinty), I wouldn't mind a 2721 half cab to current standards.  It could be their first pannier without a top feed.

54 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

After the 94xx saga, I really hope they don't announce anything I want.  I couldn't cope with all that again...

OTOH, given that Baccy have form in doing better versions of Hornby locos (Jinty), I wouldn't mind a 2721 half cab to current standards.  It could be their first pannier without a top feed.

If they do announce anything it will be imminent i.e. in the next three months or so - that is how Bachmann operate now, lots of smaller annoucements once the item is ready to go into production.  The announcements are also used to inform on the progress of previously announced items in the backlog.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

True, but the 3-month announcements are for already projected models.  There has been nothing completely new from Bachmann for some time, and presumably they have at least something up their sleeves, even if it's been in secret development, and this presumed model will eventually progress to a stage where it can be announced; Hornby have been doing this though it is somewhat obscured by their predatory pushing forward of models to go head to head with competitors.  I agree that the days of announcing models and then subjecting them to lead times of 5 or 6 years are probably over, and I for one won't be missing them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

True, but the 3-month announcements are for already projected models.  There has been nothing completely new from Bachmann for some time, and presumably they have at least something up their sleeves, even if it's been in secret development, and this presumed model will eventually progress to a stage where it can be announced; Hornby have been doing this though it is somewhat obscured by their predatory pushing forward of models to go head to head with competitors.  I agree that the days of announcing models and then subjecting them to lead times of 5 or 6 years are probably over, and I for one won't be missing them!

Anything new is announced the same way now so that they avoid a repeat of the 94xx saga, they will only announce anything completely new when it is ready, everything else is the already announced backlog being cleared.  That's why there was not big announcement in February.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll look forward to my 2721 being announced next month and having it by September, then.  I'd like to see Hornby gazump that!  Dream on, Johnster, who knows, maybe one day it'll happen...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Anything new is announced the same way now so that they avoid a repeat of the 94xx saga, they will only announce anything completely new when it is ready, everything else is the already announced backlog being cleared.  That's why there was not big announcement in February.

Not quite right.

The LNWR 2-4-0s have been announced with more than 3 months notice.

Probably about a year from announcement before they end up on the shelves.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/159667-rails-of-sheffield-improved-precedent-class/#comments

And yes I do know it's a commission, but my point still stands. They aren't announcing brand new models to be in the shops within the next three months.

Like wise the new identities for the V2s. They are well more than three months since announcement.

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2021 at 12:39, Pre Grouping fan said:

Think its due first week of May 

That would make sense, but we’re still waiting for releases announced as Spring - the all new 20/0s and the updated Modified Halls come immediately to mind. Shouldn’t they arrive before more models are announced, or Bachmann will have to play catch up under the new arrangements as well, which they were intended to avoid.

The aim of release within three months only applies to those models announced in the quarterly announcements by Bachmann. The only models from the 2020 announcements still awaiting release are the EFE Rail OO gauge 1938 Tube Stock Train and N gauge JIA Wagons (the OO gauge JIA and PBA wagons are awaiting a second batch). Of the Spring 2021 announcements:

• 27 have arrived.
  • 10 are due Apr/May (Witherslack Hall, Sound Fitted Class 20/3 & 24 locos, NCB wagon, Porthole SK and GF Class 66).
  • 10 are due May/Jun (Burton Agnes Hall, China Clay wagon, Porthole BSK, Narrow Gauge Baldwins and GF MK1 RU).
  • 11 are due Jun/Jul (Jubliee, Standard 4 4-6-0 and Class 20/0 & 45 locos).

Models such as the Locomotion & Rails limited edition LNER V2 and the exclusive LNWR Improved Precedent Class locos were not announced in the quarterly announcements and were made by Locomotion & Rails, not Bachmann. Therefore they are not subject to the aim of release within three months.

Similarly if Bachmann announced a new tooling at EP stage (or later) during a Bachmann Collectors Club day, at model show such as Warley or at a trade event like the London Toy Fair, the aim of release within three months would not apply.

1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

The aim of release within three months only applies to those models announced in the quarterly announcements by Bachmann. The only models from the 2020 announcements still awaiting release are the EFE Rail OO gauge 1938 Tube Stock Train and N gauge JIA Wagons (the OO gauge JIA and PBA wagons are awaiting a second batch). Of the Spring 2021 announcements:

• 27 have arrived.
  • 10 are due Apr/May (Witherslack Hall, Sound Fitted Class 20/3 & 24 locos, NCB wagon, Porthole SK and GF Class 66).
  • 10 are due May/Jun (Burton Agnes Hall, China Clay wagon, Porthole BSK, Narrow Gauge Baldwins and GF MK1 RU).
  • 11 are due Jun/Jul (Jubliee, Standard 4 4-6-0 and Class 20/0 & 45 locos).

Models such as the Locomotion & Rails limited edition LNER V2 and the exclusive LNWR Improved Precedent Class locos were not announced in the quarterly announcements and were made by Locomotion & Rails, not Bachmann. Therefore they are not subject to the aim of release within three months.

Similarly if Bachmann announced a new tooling at EP stage (or later) during a Bachmann Collectors Club day, at model show such as Warley or at a trade event like the London Toy Fair, the aim of release within three months would not apply.

My point being they aren't going to announce brand new models to arrive in the three month period. They are going to give you something like a year to save up.

Seriously. People expect them to announce something like an LMS 8F and say "It'll be here next week! That's X hundred pounds please."

Not happening. It's different if it's a new version of an existing model. But you can't expect people to just drop everything and spend hundreds of pounds on new models like that.

And anyone expecting that to happen just aren't living in reality....

• RMweb Gold

One does wonder that, if Bach are looking to release another Western model, what that might entail. 

I'm most definitely not wishlisting at all, you understand. However, a little crystal ball gazing shouldn't harm.... famous last words....) 

Let's see...

A Scottish locomotive,

A  down South locomotive, such as a Neilson  (GER ) tank.

Some more generic wagons.

Coming up on the outside... A NG16 Garrett.

Coming up even further on the extreme outside.... 4mm Broad gauge....

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

My point being they aren't going to announce brand new models to arrive in the three month period. They are going to give you something like a year to save up.

Seriously. People expect them to announce something like an LMS 8F and say "It'll be here next week! That's X hundred pounds please."

Not happening. It's different if it's a new version of an existing model. But you can't expect people to just drop everything and spend hundreds of pounds on new models like that.

And anyone expecting that to happen just aren't living in reality....

That is exactly how it will work.  Bachmann were very clear they would only announce items due within 3 months at each quarterly announcement, and that includes new tooling items.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

There is RTR precedent for for this sort of announcing; Hornby were very fast to the shops after the initial announcement of the 57’ Collett suburbans.  Ok, these are not locos but I reckon the original intention was to bring out the large prairie at the same time (it was announced at the same time), the logical choice to pull them, but then this loco was probably deferred to allow the Terrier to be produced sooner to go head to head with the Rails model.  Had that not happened, we’d have seen a very short apparent lead time for the prairie. 

The B2 Peckett had a very short apparent lead time as well.  H have shown that it is feasible to keep new models under wraps until very late in the production stage, and Bachmann, whose lead times following announcement had gone beyond a joke, seem to have responded with the 3 month system.  It is clever marketing and makes their production process look very fast.  Of course it isn’t.  

Bachmann have not announced any completely new, as opposed to newly tooled, locos since the 94xx TTBOMK, and very little previously unseen stuff in the way of rolling stock as well, and if such new items are in the pipeline, and they might be for all we know, we will be informed of their fairly imminent arrival by the quarterly announcement if Not Captain Kernow is right.  This would suggest that there were no completely new models from Blue Box announced in the period between the original initial 94xx announcement and the introduction of the quarterly announcements, so unless their planning, design, and production processes have been radically speeded up it seems unlikely that there will be anything completely new for a couple of years.  

I will be more than happy to eat these words  when the May announcement includes several locos and a class 120 dmu, all available shortly in a full range of liveries.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I rather doubt Bachmann would have made the "three month" announcement until some considerable time after the decision had been taken. To do so with nothing new likely to emerge from "the pipeline" for a period of two or three years would have done nothing to undo the widespread dissatisfaction with their habitual tardiness in bringing product to market.

That said, I'm guessing the "red meat" will be in the announcement after next, of something pretty major; i.e. an all-new locomotive, possibly quite a large one, in OO, for release in the run-up to Christmas. A more left-field idea might be narrow gauge models in O-16.5. The research already done for the OO9 range would no doubt help to accelerate such a development. Bachmann USA have done very nicely out of On30 for some years, and I don't imagine something like a 7mm Fairlie, Manning Wardle or Quarry Hunslet would go short of would-be purchasers.....

Consequently, I think the announcement we are expecting more imminently is more likely to feature some modest but significant steps forward in updating their back-catalogue. The Thompson coaches have already been tackled, with the Bulleid ones eagerly awaited in the next few months. Retooled (dimensionally accurate) versions of the remaining ex-Mainline wagons as suggested by The Johnster would constitute a good start, IMHO, as would replacement (and expansion) of the LMS panelled coach range.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1