Bachmann Spring 2021 - New products

AY Mod

17 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

In a word, yes.  I'm not party to Bachmann's inner workings, but I've seen it in other business where product is 'temporally unavailable' until the RRP matches the unit cost. 

It's happened before, and it'll happen again.

I have to say, I find this proposition (that Bachmann delayed releasing a model because one retailer had advertised an unrealistic price - Note NOT the manufacturer's RRP, just the retailer's guess at it) quite ludicrous. But we will have to agree to disagree. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I have to say, I find this proposition (that Bachmann delayed releasing a model because one retailer had advertised an unrealistic price - Note NOT the manufacturer's RRP, just the retailer's guess at it) quite ludicrous. But we will have to agree to disagree. 

The ability to disagree  in polite fashion, is one of the best things about RMweb.

• Agree 2

Hi All,

I am after some further information concerning an imminent release.

The 'Rail Stores' ventilated van in it's colourful guise has piqued my interest.

I have had a look at the Bachmann website but no further details are forthcoming other than the Item No. - 38-233.

Having reached out to Bachmann but yet to receive a reply, I thought I would ask this knowledgable forum.

I was looking for clarification on the era (7/8?).

Also, was this livery for a single wagon or were there multiples & if so would they run in a rake of several combined in say a Speedlnk service or similar.

Questions, questions.....

All feedback gratefully received.

IMG_3575.PNG

Edited by CB Rail

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

The 'Rail Stores' ventilated van in it's colourful guise has piqued my interest.

I have had a look at the Bachmann website but no further details are forthcoming other than the Item No. - 38-233.

Having reached out to Bachmann but yet to receive a reply, I thought I would ask this knowledgable forum.

Also, was this livery for a single wagon or were there multiples & if so would they run in a rake of several combined in say a Speedlnk service or similar.

IMG_3575.PNG

There were at least three (this one plus ADB781375 and ADB781479) as there are photos of them on Paul Bartlett’s website. No idea if there were others, but as Departmental vehicles I suspect they each had their own separate circuits to deliver spares to different depots rather than operating together. Be happy to be proved wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, CB Rail said:

I was looking for clarification on the era (7/8?). Also, was this livery for a single wagon or were there multiples & if so would they run in a rake of several combined in say a Speedlnk service or similar.

They were assigned to the Southern for moving  locomotive and rolling stock spares around during the 1980s and early 1990s. About eight got the Rail Stores livery ad would typically be seen in ones or twos. The Bachmann model is a compromise though as all of the Rail Stores vans were air-braked with modified suspension.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

The Bachmann model is a compromise though as all of the Rail Stores vans were air-braked with modified suspension.

Same as the Hornby version 30 odd years previously really

Hi All,

I have had some feedback from Richard at Bachmann concerning the Rail Stores vent. vans.

These are suitable for era 8.

A small number were painted in this livery & as the photo's show on Paul Bartlett's site there are several photo's recorded in 1987.

It was also possible to see these in multiples too as Paul's site also confirms.

Hope this is of interest.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

I have had some feedback from Richard at Bachmann concerning the Rail Stores vent. vans.

These are suitable for era 8.

A small number were painted in this livery & as the photo's show on Paul Bartlett's site there are several photo's recorded in 1987.

It was also possible to see these in multiples too as Paul's site also confirms.

Hope this is of interest.

Paul has a photo of ADB781007 in that livery in September 1985.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

They were assigned to the Southern for moving  locomotive and rolling stock spares around during the 1980s and early 1990s. About eight got the Rail Stores livery ad would typically be seen in ones or twos. The Bachmann model is a compromise though as all of the Rail Stores vans were air-braked with modified suspension.

They'd been converted for some air-brake trials, along with some Palvans, steel Hyfits, Tubes and Plates. For some reason they weren't converted to roller-bearings at the same time. Initially, they ran as a block train, but soon were allowed to wander about on ABN services, before eventually ending up with the various branches of the Engineers, mainly on the Southern.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

IMG_3575.PNG

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/standardabvan

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Very useful photos as always, but some of the captions state 'VBB'.

The pictures show the actual code on the revenue earning vans as 'VVB', which would make sense as they are the same body as the 'VVV' with air brake + through vac pipe.

Sorry to be picky...!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

What? People hurling clods at each other is much more entertaining! 

Oh dear me no, young Ian.  Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Some are based upon sincere hypothesis, and are by & large correct.  Some outlandish opinions are based on fact, gleaned upon industry practices. I'll always look to respect the other persons views: After all, I enjoy reading on here, and I want to  (try to ) keep it that way. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd say we are by and large a hobby of gentlemen, with a few ladies.  Only by and large, mind, there are several miscreants and one or two who seem to deliberately and aggessively provoke argument.  And one or two outright trolls, but we seem to weed  them out fairly quickly.  I am a sensitive and easily hurt soul, but find the forums a safe environment in which I can relax, and enjoy the discussions and banter.  In order to be 'into modelling' to any 'serious' degree, it is IMHO a prerequisite that one is to an extent obsessive and compulsive; the necessity for attention to detail and the research needed to build a model that is tolerably accurate to scale, period, and location demands this.  So, we are all a bit odd; it is therefore perhaps more remarkable that, as we have already flouted the established rules of what sociey considers normal, we generally behave towards each other with respect, politeness, and dignity.

I am, as I often have to remind the Squeeze who describes me as such when she's in a good mood*, not by any proper definition a gentleman.  Gentleman is a term used to denote one's rank in society; not of the aristocracy, nor a cleric, but a person owning property, and therefore ranked above a peasant or villein, or even a freeman if he does not own property.  I live in a rented property, so am not a gentleman, which is no reason to abjure 'gentlemanly' behaviour to others.

*about 20 minutes in the autumn of 2018.

• Like 4

On 16/04/2021 at 23:47, Ramblin Rich said:

Very useful photos as always, but some of the captions state 'VBB'.

The pictures show the actual code on the revenue earning vans as 'VVB', which would make sense as they are the same body as the 'VVV' with air brake + through vac pipe.

Sorry to be picky...!

Indeed, the VBB was a "supervan" in VAA - VDA series of 37 foot long air brake vans, with vac pipes as a "B".    

On 16/04/2021 at 10:18, Simon Bendall said:

I did wonder Simon.  Just around that time the southern Region were migrating to air brakes for freight IIRC so I guess the movements of these vans became somewhat special.  Did they ever get hauled by the series of departmental EMUs I wonder.  Be interesting to see one tied on the back of a 2 car departmental unit.   

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

9.30am tomorrow:

Would be nice if they would do a webpage / release a pdf at the same time. Not all of us can take time from work to watch a video, but could grab 30 seconds to read a page / document.

Luke

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Would be nice if they would do a webpage / release a pdf at the same time. Not all of us can take time from work to watch a video, but could grab 30 seconds to read a page / document.

Luke

I'm sure if there is anything really really interesting @AY Mod will have something ready and if it's all just updates then the rest of RMWeb will be scattering comments like no-one's business.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Luke

There will be. 

The video is just so that they can announce it to the Bachmann Collectors Club members before everyone else gets to see it. It is part of our membership "perks" after all.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1