Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

• Moderators

Graham Farish welcomes the introduction of the Class 66 No. 66783 ‘The Flying Dustman’ in the bold GBRf Biffa Red livery, whilst there are additions to the range of N scale rolling stock including a further version of the forthcoming WD ‘Parrot’ Bogie Wagon, this time depicting the 50T Bogie Bolster B.

The Scenecraft range sees new additions in N scale.  there are further Low Relief models and a Pent Roof Garden Shed.

N SCALE LOCOMOTIVES
371-399 Class 66/7 66783 ‘The Flying Dustman’ GBRf Biffa Red £149.95

371-399.jpg371-399.5.jpg371-399.4.jpg371-399.3.jpg371-399.2.jpg371-399.1.jpg
N SCALE ROLLING STOCK
373-352 WD 50T ‘Parrot’ Bogie Bolster B BR Grey (Early) £39.95

373-352.jpg
374-121B BR Mk1 RU Restaurant Unclassified BR Maroon £42.95

374-121B.jpg
377-450C 16T Steel Slope-Sided Mineral Wagon Riveted Side Door BR Grey (Early) £18.95

377-450C.jpg

N SCALE SCENECRAFT

42-277 Low Relief Factory £29.95

42-277.jpg42-277.DIMS.jpg
42-279 Low Relief Balti Towers £29.95

42-279.jpg42-279.DIMS.jpg
42-544 Pent Roof Garden Shed £11.95

42-544.DIMS.jpg42.544.PS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• AY Mod pinned this topic

It would have been nice to see a new loco - perhaps a Peak off the back of the sealed headcode versions just done in OO - they've added a split box to the OO range again so expanded that one.

Oh well, I have enough engines at the moment and the next 40 is imminent.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It would have been nice to see a new loco - perhaps a Peak off the back of the sealed headcode versions just done in OO - they've added a split box to the OO range again so expanded that one.

Oh well, I have enough engines at the moment and the next 40 is imminent.

Yes, even by the standards of the times, it’s certainly underwhelming.  It’s encouraging to see headcode boxed 24s in the OO announcement which hopefully will filter down to N.

I dislike complaints surrounding announcements, and I’ve never publicly criticised any (from memory)  but this is all very disappointing. 

Best

Scott. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, scottystitch said:

Yes, even by the standards of the times, it’s certainly underwhelming.  It’s encouraging to see headcode boxed 24s in the OO announcement which hopefully will filter down to N.

I dislike complaints surrounding announcements, and I’ve never publicly criticised any (from memory)  but this is all very disappointing. 

Best

Scott. 

The 24/1s and the Peaks stand out - they're models that would sell in N, there is a real demand for the Peaks on Ebay so a DCC ready version should sell.

All is not lost, just because it's not mentioned here doesn't mean something isn't in the pipeline and will be announced in three or six months.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So for the third time they've duplicated a 66 long released by Dapol; 66789, 66731, and now this, plus the simultaneous production of "Evening Star". Why not the ONE pink one, or one of the many Maritime ones, or the grey GBRF, or GBRF Pride or literally any of the other interesting variants compared to the one which has been out for so long the market will be saturated.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

That 16T Steel Slope-Sided Mineral Wagon looks a bit luxurious! And they never painted them maroon either ... ;)

:biggrin_mini2: Now sorted out.

• Funny 2

18 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Hmm, I wasn't expecting much and I have not been disappointed....  It has to be said that the Farish 66 does look a bit dated in the close ups sadly.

I do think by not announcing new items, Bachmann are opening themselves up to new manufacturers stealing their share of the market. I agree that the Farish class 66 is starting to look dated and maybe Hattons might consider scaling their 00 model down to N gauge, for such a ubiquitous prototype with such obvious large sales potential.  It’s very interesting how different the main suppliers are operating their respective businesses. Bachmann, on the one hand, seems like it’s going into retreat, whereas Hornby and Heljan are announcing numerous new lines and fighting back against the new manufacturers nipping at their heels. I’m not criticising Bachmann, as they make some fantastic products, but I do question their current business strategy.

13 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I mean another catering Mk1?!?  How many catering vehicles versus the ordinary domestic passenger carrying coach does one person need???

Totally agree! Not sure who is making these decisions? Probably the same who released the Mk2 BSK in Blue & Grey, but not the TSO (which go for huge prices if they ever appear on eBay!) All in all, a very strange announcement! 

4 minutes ago, nickb4141 said:

I do think by not announcing new items, Bachmann are opening themselves up to new manufacturers stealing their share of the market. I agree that the Farish class 66 is starting to look dated and maybe Hattons might consider scaling their 00 model down to N gauge, for such a ubiquitous prototype with such obvious large sales potential.  It’s very interesting how different the main suppliers are operating their respective businesses. Bachmann, on the one hand, seems like it’s going into retreat, whereas Hornby and Heljan are announcing numerous new lines and fighting back against the new manufacturers nipping at their heels. I’m not criticising Bachmann, as they make some fantastic products, but I do question their current business strategy.

It's been noted elsewhere just how small these companies actually are so whilst they're important to us as modellers they are not big companies with funds sloshing around.

Bachmann aren't in retreat, they are adding features to locomotives - in N the N18 and Speak combinations are a godsend to hacking up a locomotive to add sound.  It just takes time to do it all and the market isn't massive so it probably wouldn't stand being flooded with new locos.

I don't think Hattons are going to be entering N in a big way, their last two attempts seemingly have come to naught - the King with DJM and the Garratt, a model that is not only complicated but very niche.  It will be interesting to see what EFE does now the well of DJM models has been emptied - unless there is a King coming.

Dapol, RevolutioN and perhaps Sonic will be the main competitors for the time being, Dapol too are slowly going through their models and bringing the older ones up to current standards and developing some new stuff.  Revolution are never going to have a massive range and it remains to be seen what Sonic will be doing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not exactly surprising it's a little thin on the Farish front, there is still plenty in the backlog yet to come. Sound fitted N & Std5, Class 450, Class 319, Revised Class 47s, Class 158....etc etc. 

On the plus side, given the beating the wallet has taken from Revolution of late it's not such a bad thing to have a lean quarter!

Tom. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I can see what they are trying to do in OO by only announcing stuff available in the next three months .  Not sure that works in N though , where maybe there tends to be less to be announced each quarter .  Probably due to the smaller market size , these announcements seem to be underwhelming most people . May have been better with one announcement in a year with new loco to get people talking about it . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's been noted elsewhere just how small these companies actually are so whilst they're important to us as modellers they are not big companies with funds sloshing around.

Bachmann aren't in retreat, they are adding features to locomotives - in N the N18 and Speak combinations are a godsend to hacking up a locomotive to add sound.  It just takes time to do it all and the market isn't massive so it probably wouldn't stand being flooded with new locos.

I don't think Hattons are going to be entering N in a big way, their last two attempts seemingly have come to naught - the King with DJM and the Garratt, a model that is not only complicated but very niche.  It will be interesting to see what EFE does now the well of DJM models has been emptied - unless there is a King coming.

Dapol, RevolutioN and perhaps Sonic will be the main competitors for the time being, Dapol too are slowly going through their models and bringing the older ones up to current standards and developing some new stuff.  Revolution are never going to have a massive range and it remains to be seen what Sonic will be doing.

I agree on the N18 improvements to their range, but the pace of these changes has still been slow compared to the changes Dapol have achieved with their range. Dapol have also released new liveries this year and my credit card had taken a bashing. 

Re; Hattons, I really do believe there is a business case for a high spec class 66, and having done the design work on the 00 version, this spreads their investment cost. I know they won’t be everyone’s preference, but they have a huge presence all over the country, so anyone modelling the last 20 years can justify at least one. They are after all, the modern day equivalent of black fives and class 37’s and 47’s. The models that you say ‘came to naught’ are considerably more niche and you wouldn’t expect to be mainstream ‘year after year sellers’.In the same way, Heljan could probably do a N gauge version of their forthcoming 0 and 00 gauge class 47. 

As I said, I wasn’t criticising Bachmann and I want them to be successful and invest in N gauge future products. I do however,question their strategy approach at the moment. N gaugers have been starved of much product from them in the last couple of years and the lack of product to buy compared to a few years ago will be reflected in their sales in N gauge and might well influence their views on future investment. Yes, there are products still to be introduced and hopefully this will help improve the situation, but if others jump in and steal mainstream safe sellers, it’s going to affect their business. 

Revolution aren’t as small as they were (I’ve already spent this year over 3k with them). There’s no reason they won’t continue to grow and maybe update some of Farish’s older items in time. Ditto Rapido. 

The (constructive,) point I was making is they maybe need to be more bullish in their approach like Hornby and Heljan have been and give the customer what they want. Had they announced new liveries at least, I would have been putting my pre-orders in this morning, but as a very loyal customer of Bachmann, I can’t buy what isn’t there! I sincerely hope that the ‘floodgates are going to open’ at some stage this year with new products, because I want them to survive and prosper.

• RMweb Premium

I personally doubt you’ll see as many new entrants to the 2mm N market. It just doesn’t have the volume of 4mm and hence production runs to sink the tooling costs, unless the prices are lot higher. 

When Farish do release the new stuff already in the pipeline it will arrive as one huge (expensive) wave. Which doesn’t really work for me and probably others.

Edited by richierich
  • Like 3

Well, I watched the video. 

God that was underwhelming by a country mile. The last announcement was quite fruitful, an 8F, a sound fitted 31, The Thompsons.... stuff that was useful to a variety of modellers depending on period they model. But this?? 

God, that was disappointing. How many class 66's do we really need on this earth? Dapol already do a Flying Dustman, and now Farish are doing one? Why? it's not like we need the duplication. 

The only thing I can say I have a slight sniff of wanting is the LMS flat wagon, and that's because it's not BR! 

as a slight positive, I welcome the MK1 RU, useful for many formations to be honest, even if I don't typically model with Mk1 stock anymore. 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Leicester Thumper said:

God that was underwhelming by a country mile. .... God, that was disappointing

I get fed up with petty negativity and just using the forum to do so. It's boring for people to read.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5