Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Leicester Thumper said:

God that was underwhelming by a country mile. The last announcement was quite fruitful, an 8F, a sound fitted 31, The Thompsons.... stuff that was useful to a variety of modellers depending on period they model. But this?? 

God, that was disappointing. How many class 66's do we really need on this earth? Dapol already do a Flying Dustman, and now Farish are doing one? Why? it's not like we need the duplication. 

Don't forget that those models were in the last announcement to cover a whole year. This only covers the 1st quarter so there are still 3 more opportunities in 2021 for Bachmann to announce something new in the Farish range. That said, with the backlog they are still working through as listed above, I wouldn't expect much in the way of completely new tooling anyway and just updates on previous announcements like the 319 and 158 until they have cleared that backlog. 

Those heady days of the early 2010s when 7 or more new tool locomotives would be announced are long gone, and aren't likely to come back. 

Tom.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, TomE said:

Don't forget that those models were in the last announcement to cover a whole year. This only covers the 1st quarter so there are still 3 more opportunities in 2021 for Bachmann to announce something new in the Farish range. That said, with the backlog they are still working through as listed above, I wouldn't expect much in the way of completely new tooling anyway and just updates on previous announcements like the 319 and 158 until they have cleared that backlog. 

Those heady days of the early 2010s when 7 or more new tool locomotives would be announced are long gone, and aren't likely to come back. 

Tom.  

Tom, 

That is a fair point and something I hadn't considered, thank you for opening my mind to that point. 

I think in part, when so much was announced last time round and we got a fair amount of choice, it does feel underwhelming. But right you are about backlog, I hadn't really considered that point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomE said:

Don't forget that those models were in the last announcement to cover a whole year. This only covers the 1st quarter so there are still 3 more opportunities in 2021 for Bachmann to announce something new in the Farish range

Agree

Such a radical change in approach was always going to result in a fallow period in respect of new tooling announcements until the change works through.

Taking a positive view, when it does work through, EFE N products may give more of an idea of the future. No awareness to a loco and 2 wagons on the shelves in 6 months. Yes the circs of those models are unique but the first EFE new tooling in N is also due by May(?)

Rob

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Suffolk Rob said:

Taking a positive view, when it does work through, EFE N products may give more of an idea of the future. No awareness to a loco and 2 wagons on the shelves in 6 months. Yes the circs of those models are unique but the first EFE new tooling in N is also due by May(?)

Rob

Going forwards, it's going to be interesting to see how EFE rail performs in terms of products and sales. I find it somewhat confusing, though, how they have released (so far) some ex DJM products in N gauge under the EFE tag, yet they could have just as well kept them within the normal Graham Farish range. it did strike me at the time as odd for why they would go through the expense of setting up a sub brand for that purpose. 

• Like 1

Just read the update, having fast forwarded through the vid. I think I tend to agree that with the comparative lack of anything new at present, having a quarterly update for N only emphasises the point.

Am I unhappy? Not really because being realistic my expectations were not high to start with. I had hoped we might see the V2 go through the shrink-ray but didn't expect it, but I had thought we might see one or two new tool items of rolling stock. 

But let's not forget Bachmann have a massive portfolio of N products already and I will very likely take solace in a weathered 5MT when available and source a sound-chip for it. 

What does it tell us about the health of British N? I think it tells us that more than anything there remain problems with supply due to Covid in particular, the higher prices asked on e**y of late (especially green DMUs) certainly do not suggest any lack of demand. Hopefully as Covid eases so will supply issues.

Roy

1 minute ago, Leicester Thumper said:

Going forwards, it's going to be interesting to see how EFE rail performs in terms of products and sales. I find it somewhat confusing, though, how they have released (so far) some ex DJM products in N gauge under the EFE tag, yet they could have just as well kept them within the normal Graham Farish range. it did strike me at the time as odd for why they would go through the expense of setting up a sub brand for that purpose. 

I don't know for sure but all the ex-DJM appears to be EFE distribution for Kernow. Whether they own the tooling or commissioned a run is a different question. The new clay wagon is a Kernow OO downsize so I'm assuming the same.

I think the new wagon and it's sales are key to whether we see more downsizing of Kernow's own stuff which I guess would continue to be through EFE with items researched and tooled by Bachmann themselves being in the Farish range?

Rob

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Leicester Thumper said:

Well, I do apologise if my contribution has fallen under the bar, but last I checked, this is a public forum for discussion and AFAIK there is no rule saying I cannot make such a contribution. 

Well now you know what my thoughts are.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Leicester Thumper said:

That may be the case for N (although not with the forthcoming JIA) - that's it's purely been an outlet for ex-DJM products, but the wider brand is more about being a distribution channel for other brands' products which inherently are not part of the Bachmann family.

I suspect these announcements will be a bit feast or famine, certainly this one appears to be more famine, but imagine when they announce a newly tooled model, there'll be a load of products coming in one go.

I'd totally forgotten about these announcements until I just received an email from Rails Of Sheffield, but it was interesting that there were more 009 locos announcements in the email than there are for N gauge modellers. What bothers me more though is that there are several items that were announced two years ago that were just re-liveries of existing items and yet they still don't have a release date for them which suggests that they won't even be released in the next six months.

• Agree 1

While today’s is quite sparse, I’m pleased Bachmann have shifted to these quarterly announcements as it helps the process of moving the hobby’s excitement away from things being announced to things actually appearing.

It really is odd how we who collect or operate models have increasingly pinned our excitement on lists of future releases rather than actually owning them. Comments are often on how little has been announced for the future while usually ignoring what has recently arrived or still yet to come. 

Plenty of models on my wish list are due in the next 12 months and these are all ‘new’, yet the reaction to each announcement would suggest everything is dire and dismal.

Never been a better time to model In N, particularly modern image, thanks to Farish, Dapol, and Revolution’s combined release program.

David

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Never been a better time to model In N, particularly modern image, thanks to Farish, Dapol, and Revolution’s combined release program.

I'm afraid I have to disagree there David. The supply problems most manufacturers are facing (and have been facing for some time) and the sheer strength of the second hand N market in the last 3 years - my thoughts are that this is actually putting people off the scale. Compare and contrast with 2009-2012. 

Paul A. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I've all the stock I need at present - I could add some aircons perhaps and there is a class 40 due next month.

So for me it would be nice to see some new additions that may tempt me, but there is nothing I 'need'.

Perhaps some more bo-bo sulzers, but again I have some so I don't need more...

• RMweb Premium

There's no doubting the breadth of what's been produced RTR in N is better than it's ever been. What's available to buy in the shops is a different matter. Back in the days of Poole produced models, just about everything in the Farish catalogue could be seen in the shops at the same time.

The market has certainly changed now - if you can't buy it when it's first released it becomes pot luck if you can find it in a smaller shop a couple of years after release. Otherwise it's take a punt on eBay where buy it now prices appear to be pegged 1:1 against new prices, even for models that are decades old.

Steven B.

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Steven B said:

The market has certainly changed now - if you can't buy it when it's first released it becomes pot luck if you can find it in a smaller shop a couple of years after release. Otherwise it's take a punt on eBay where buy it now prices appear to be pegged 1:1 against new prices, even for models that are decades old.

The prices on Ebay in some way help us - as long as people are prepared to pay a premium for secondhand - premium being up there with new then the manufacturers know there is latent demand for product, when the secondhand prices dip then availability is greater than demand and the market has shrunk.

A healthy secondhand market means a healthy market.

The main problem is that it is now impossible to stock a modern passenger based layout with 2020 operational Items. There is currently one current DMU (XC 170) and barely any passenger stock in contemporary liveries other than Midland  HSTs which will soon be gone. 

Dapol are promising a Voyager and Kato a 80x, but I don't see Farish filling the gaps anytime soon. We might get a new 158 before the real thing is pensioned off... 

Nowadays I'm grateful for anything, but the situation isn't great. 

2 hours ago, Leicester Thumper said:

Well, I do apologise if my contribution has fallen under the bar, but last I checked, this is a public forum for discussion and AFAIK there is no rule saying I cannot make such a contribution. 

You should know by now you can't criticise manufacturers on Rmweb... 

Yes I agree. This is very underwhelming. No harm in saying it. Bachmann / Farish need to hear it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, fezza said:

You should know by now you can't criticise manufacturers on Rmweb... 

As easily disproved by every manufacturers topic where there is always plenty of criticism.

6 minutes ago, fezza said:

Yes I agree. This is very underwhelming. No harm in saying it. Bachmann / Farish need to hear it. 

I'm sure everyone wants to read endless "There's nothing in it for me" replies. Hundred of pages of them.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, fezza said:

You should know by now you can't criticise manufacturers on Rmweb

Feel free to spend some time looking at the quality of posts and contributions on Facebook or YouTube around manufacturer announcements. Users won't give you any decent information by reply but I'm sure revelling in snide comments and 'look at me' posts will make you feel a whole lot better.

I would rather sensible discussions are held here thank you.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There aren't any locos that I want Graham Farish to make, quite frankly. But if Dapol or Revolution can see a way of making a class 24 (two-thirds of my Farish ones have split gears) or a 25/3, then I'd be interested…

As it is  I have the Dapol BB/WC and revised M7 to look forward to.

This announcement will cost me nothing.  Only the mineral wagons would "fit" my layout and I already have far more wagons than I need.  My wish list is for relatively obscure locos so not likely to happen anyway!  Some of those I have covered by kit/RTR bashing.  

2 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

There aren't any locos that I want Graham Farish to make, quite frankly. But if Dapol or Revolution can see a way of making a class 24 (two-thirds of my Farish ones have split gears) or a 25/3, then I'd be interested…

As it is  I have the Dapol BB/WC and revised M7 to look forward to.

I bought an M7 and modest changes turned it into a passable Caledonian 044T.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, fezza said:

The main problem is that it is now impossible to stock a modern passenger based layout with 2020 operational Items. There is currently one current DMU (XC 170) and barely any passenger stock in contemporary liveries other than Midland  HSTs which will soon be gone. 

Dapol are promising a Voyager and Kato a 80x, but I don't see Farish filling the gaps anytime soon. We might get a new 158 before the real thing is pensioned off... 

Nowadays I'm grateful for anything, but the situation isn't great. 

There might not be much available right now, but over the course of the next two years or so the current / recent scene fairs reasonably well I think:

Farish Voyager in XC 

Farish Class 150 in Northern white & ATW

Farish Class 350 in TPE

Farish Class 450 in SWT

Farish Class 319 in Northern

Dapol Super Voyager in XC / Virgin Ribbon / Avanti White 

Dapol HST in Virgin LNER/EMR

Dapol Class 142 in Northern Purple

Dapol Class 153 in London Midland / ATW

Dapol Class 156 in Northern Purple

Revolution Pendolino in white / Avanti

Revolution CS Mk.5 + Class 92 / TPE Mk.5 coaches + Dapol Class 68

Revolution Class 321 in London Midland

KATO Class 80X in LNER/GWR

And probably some i've missed. 

Given the speed at which liveries change on the real railway these days it's almost impossible for manufacturers to keep up with them, especially as production slots are often set some time in advance. Revolution are ahead of Farish/Dapol in this respect but then being a smaller company and with their particular operating model they can perhaps be more nimble when it comes to the schemes they produce and the lead time from decision to production. 

Tom.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Steven B said:

There's no doubting the breadth of what's been produced RTR in N is better than it's ever been. What's available to buy in the shops is a different matter. Back in the days of Poole produced models, just about everything in the Farish catalogue could be seen in the shops at the same time.

Steven B.

Steve B,

Totally agree with that comment mate.

I applaud Bachmann for improving their Models, take the MK2 Aircons, they are a superb model but there is now a lack of TSO's, where as a surplus of FO's and BSO's.

Gone are the days of constant production and more of batch production, I can understand that for the smaller manufacturers like RevolutioN, EFE etc. But I'd expect the larger ones to at least do runs every year of staple models, and by staple models I mean Coaches & Wagons at the minimum. You'd probably only buy 1 or 2 Class 47, for example, but possible 8 coaches to go with each of them.

Don't even get me started on the cost of new models especially coaches :P:P:P

Cheers

Neal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Steve B,

Totally agree with that comment mate.

I applaud Bachmann for improving their Models, take the MK2 Aircons, they are a superb model but there is now a lack of TSO's, where as a surplus of FO's and BSO's.

Gone are the days of constant production and more of batch production, I can understand that for the smaller manufacturers like RevolutioN, EFE etc. But I'd expect the larger ones to at least do runs every year of staple models, and by staple models I mean Coaches & Wagons at the minimum. You'd probably only buy 1 or 2 Class 47, for example, but possible 8 coaches to go with each of them.

Cheers

Neal.

This. All day long. 

Best

Scott.