Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

More negative I'm afraid, when - if ever - will somebody produce some pre WW2 SR 4-6-0s, there are 2 white metal kits somewhat long inthe tooth (Langley S15, BHE N15 both of which had some variants) No Lord Nelson.

Sum total of SR steam RTR  pre WW2-  N class, Schools class, T9, 700, 0395 M7, Terrier, C class, WW2 and after Spam cans, Q1; compare that with N gauge from any of the other 3 grouping companies, all of which have plenty of 4-6-0s available among other types.

Reminds me of a Catch 22 situation - nobody models the SR as the manufacturers don't make the stock / manufacturers don't make the SR stock as nobody models the SR.

I've been modelling N gauge for over 45 years, I  started with BR(s)  but gradually moved my timescale back to the 1930s and have hacked and bashed kits and RTR to try and get a reasonably representative stock but now at 86, hand/eye coordination is deteriorating so "new" stock increases much less than before. Below, a few of my efforts

4drum.jpg

4x15sul.jpg

mnsladams.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Dorsetmike said:

Sum total of SR steam RTR  pre WW2-  N class, Schools class, T9, 700, 0395 M7, Terrier, C class, WW2 and after Spam cans, Q1; compare that with N gauge from any of the other 3 grouping companies, all of which have plenty of 4-6-0s available among other types.

The 10 classes of locos (11 if you count that Dapol have promised the West country class, hmmm one day) is not that far off GWR classes. Admittedly there are far more of the large locos available for the GWR. I can think of 14 locos, 1 of which has not arrived yet and 4 of which have not been in production for a number of years.

Available 

64xx

57xx

Hall

Castle

Grange

Dukedog

Manor

Dean goods

Coming soon

56xx 

Out of production 

Large prairie 

Small prairie 

94xx

King

14xx 

By the way, you have a great collection of locos to be proud of. 

Edited by Kris

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Dorsetmike said:

when - if ever - will somebody produce some pre WW2 SR 4-6-0s, there are 2 white metal kits somewhat long inthe tooth (Langley S15, BHE N15 both of which had some variants) No Lord Nelson.

I’m with you here Mike, if only because a Urie S15 would suit my needs very nicely (especially if  it were 506 in black!) 

Sadly I think Hornby have likely stuffed N Gauge modellers when it comes to any hope of a RTR Lord Nelson. Although it’s not unknown for Bachmann to produce models in the Farish range without having a 00 gauge version, take the 8F for example , I suspect it reduces the chances considerably. 

Tom. 

I guess its important to note that this is not just what is due to hit the shops from them this quarter, theres also some reliveries of SR N class, 66s, 40s, 108s and a whole bunch of different 16t mineral wagons previously announced all due in next couple of weeks as well.

The lack of much exciting new product from Farish is very disappointing. I certainly would have liked to see more but I’m sure those in charge at Bachmann UK would also have liked to announce more. Never forget that they are part of an international business. The whole business has a duty to provide the best possible return on the money that it’s investors/ owners have invested. This means that projects that are most likely to produce the best return on investment will be given priority. Unfortunately for us the British N gauge market is comparatively small and therefore probably does not provide the best prospects for return on investment and so new tooling projects will always struggle to get to the top of the waiting list for the tooling room. It’s a shame, I’m not happy, but I can’t criticise Bachmann for running their business the way they should.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

I can think of 14 locos, 1 of which has not arrived yet and 4 of which have not been in production for a number of years.

Available 

64xx

57xx

Hall

Castle

Grange

Dukedog

Manor

Dean goods

Coming soon

56xx 

Out of production 

Large prairie 

Small prairie 

94xx

King

14xx 

I could be wrong but weren't the 28xx 2-8-0 (by Dapol) and the Collet 0-6-0 (by Peco and Union Mills) gwr locos?

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, grahame said:

I could be wrong but weren't the 28xx 2-8-0 (by Dapol) and the Collet 0-6-0 (by Peco and Union Mills) gwr locos?

I forgot about the the 28xx and put the Dean goods instead of the Collet one. 

1 minute ago, Kris said:

I forgot about the the 28xx and put the Dean goods instead of the Collet one. 

Union Mills does an N gauge Dean Goods so that should stay on your list with the addition of the two missing (28xx and Collet).

• Informative/Useful 1

The bolster looks quite interesting, but I'm thankful there isn't anything else tasty this quarter.  I will probably add a bolster to make my steel train a little less uniform.

I still have a glut of stuff from Hawthorn Dene and Rise Park which is slowly going on eBay,  so I MIGHT be able to afford something when the next list comes out (or the next but three.....)

Les

• RMweb Premium

66783 - why???!

Odd choice given that Dapol’s version has been out for ages and there are (for example) plenty of 66s with DB branded in EWS colours - a livery not yet covered by Farish.... I would have taken one of those....

Frankly, I would have traded those four irrelevant [to me] model announcements in favour of an honest update (with CAD images) on projects such as the 319 and 158.... I don’t need actual models to be satisfied; just something meaningful to look forward to....!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

18 hours ago, Dorsetmike said:

More negative I'm afraid, when - if ever - will somebody produce some pre WW2 SR 4-6-0s, there are 2 white metal kits somewhat long inthe tooth (Langley S15, BHE N15 both of which had some variants) No Lord Nelson.

Reminds me of a Catch 22 situation - nobody models the SR as the manufacturers don't make the stock / manufacturers don't make the SR stock as nobody models the SR.

I've been modelling N gauge for over 45 years, I  started with BR(s)  but gradually moved my timescale back to the 1930s and have hacked and bashed kits and RTR to try and get a reasonably representative stock but now at 86, hand/eye coordination is deteriorating so "new" stock increases much less than before. Below, a few of my efforts

I feel your pain & frustration, Dorestmike.  I model BR(S) mid-late 60s, South London and would be very happy to see any Southern 4-6-0 even if it is at the outer limits of my timeframe.

I too feel the Southern is a little under-represented in N Gauge, although there have been a few more releases in recent years - C Class, N Class, V Class, Brighton Belle, Merchant Navy and Class 33 (the latter 2 obviously too late for your era) along with Bulleid, Maunsell and Birdcage coaches, so there has been some progress.  I'm not sure how well the Merchant Navies sold - they seemed to hang around on the shelves for ages, although I note neither Rails nor TMC have any in stock now.  Contrastingly, the N class must have sold well for Farish to invest relatively quickly in new liveries and a sound fitted model.

Lovely selection of locos you have there - thanks for sharing.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

There are plenty of gaps that have yet to be filled, particularly for pre BR steam:

SR: 4-6-0

LNER: tank engines

LMS: ?

GWR: King

4-4-0s are missing from all but SR.

Whilst each has a reasonable sub-set of coaches, most are missing buffet/kitchen cars and non-gangway stock.

BR diesel era modellers have a great selection of locos and coaches but there are huge gaps in air-braked wagons - no 20'WB vans or stone hoppers to current standards for example.

Personally I feel the ranges from Farish, Dapol etc will plug the gaps. The biggest problem is the gaps on the model shop shelves. If you want a steam loco and look at Rails Of Sheffield then you have a choice of an 8F or Austerity from Farish and a A4 or Hall from Dapol. Turn the clock back twenty years and the choice on the shelves was much wider.

Steven B.

• Like 1

Whilst each has a reasonable sub-set of coaches, most are missing buffet/kitchen cars

If anyone is interested I have some Worsley Works etches of Maunsell open 3rd and Ironclad reastaurant, I also have printed self adhesive sides in Maunsell olive, they fit Dapol Maunsells or Farish "main line" coaches slightly hacked - open 3rds need filing for recessed end doors and between most windows; the second pic is of an open 3rd and Ironclad restaurant posed with a Dapol Maunsell between, the overlays need a little tweaking of colour and length, the roofs also need attention, vent positions toilet tank fillers etc; if using Farish main line as donors then replacement roofs from Ultima/Etched Pixels have a better profile. 3rd pic is an example of the artwork for the open third, I get 14 on an A4 sheet so each has a different number. ~I chose the Ironclad restaurant rather than the Maunsell due to the recessed door making fitting overlays somewhat awkward, the open third recessed doors being at the ends were not as bad in that respect..

On the same etch from WW to fill a few gaps I had some Urie Bogie side frames, I add cast axle boxes then use to replace the cast white metal bogies on the BHE N15 kit, I fit a Union Mills tender drive and a pair of wheels, under the loco I use any available chassis with correct size wheels (13mm =  approx 6'7") with as near correct spacing as I can find.

op3a.jpg

o3resc.jpg

OP3RD1370.jpg

Edited by Dorsetmike
Typo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Steven B said:

There are plenty of gaps that have yet to be filled, particularly for pre BR steam:

SR: 4-6-0

LNER: tank engines

LMS: ?

GWR: King

To offwer some potential logic, I always think you need 4 types of locos for a good mix - top link tender, mixed traffic, small tender or large tank and small tank. To apply that to Farish you have the following

Southern - Merchant Navy, N Mogul, C Class, Tank missing

LNER - A1 and A2, B1, J39, Tank missing

LMS - Duchess, Black 5, Fairburn Tank or 4F, Jinty

GWR - Castle, Mixed Traffic Missing, Small Tender/Large Tank missing, 64XX

So there is 4 main gaps to fill - ok there is a lot more to it than that but if you could fill those 4 gaps you would do well for variety 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, JR_P said:

Frankly, I would have traded those four irrelevant [to me] model announcements in favour of an honest update (with CAD images) on projects such as the 319 and 158.... I don’t need actual models to be satisfied; just something meaningful to look forward to....!

The latest Bachmann magazine is due to collectors club memebrs soon, the 319 is already at tooling stage, samples were at TINGs in 2019 so hopefully livery samples will be seen soon, the 158 CAD was recieved so we may see something soon

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

Southern - Merchant Navy, N Mogul, C Class, Tank missing

LNER - A1 and A2, B1, J39, Tank missing

LMS - Duchess, Black 5, Fairburn Tank or 4F, Jinty

GWR - Castle, Mixed Traffic Missing, Small Tender/Large Tank missing, 64XX

So there is 4 main gaps to fill - ok there is a lot more to it than that but if you could fill those 4 gaps you would do well for variety 

Add in Dapol and you have the M7 and Terrier for the SR, together with Manors, Halls & Granges for the GWR. Still no LNER tank engine though!

Steven B.

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

BR diesel era modellers have a great selection of locos and coaches but there are huge gaps in air-braked wagons - no 20'WB vans or stone hoppers to current standards for example.

Personally I feel the ranges from Farish, Dapol etc will plug the gaps. The biggest problem is the gaps on the model shop shelves. If you want a steam loco and look at Rails Of Sheffield then you have a choice of an 8F or Austerity from Farish and a A4 or Hall from Dapol. Turn the clock back twenty years and the choice on the shelves was much wider.

Steven B.

I’d really love either manufacturer to do another first generation passenger DMU & hold my breath at each new announcement. Considering the massive choice now available in OO gauge & the extensive use of them in the BR era, The 101, 108 by Farish & the bubbles by Dapol are great models, but something else to widen the variety on offer here in N gauge would be fantastic, especially the longer frame DMU...

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 1977joey said:

I’d really love either manufacturer to do another first generation passenger DMU & hold my breath at each new announcement. Considering the massive choice now available in OO gauge & the extensive use of them in the BR era, The 101, 108 by Farish & the bubbles by Dapol are great models, but something else to widen the variety on offer here in N gauge would be fantastic, especially the longer frame DMU...

Cheers,

Mark

I'd rather they did the 2HAP first. Still only one Mk1 SR EMU.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 1977joey said:

Cheers,

Mark

Here, here to that.

Have been waiting seemingly forever for the Cravens 105 to get shrunk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Scott B said:

Here, here to that.

Have been waiting seemingly forever for the Cravens 105 to get shrunk.

Don't hold your breath, I think the Pressed Steel 117 will get shrunk first. Long frame, long lived, widely used and lots more liveries....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OK, so only a few things being done this time, but maybe there will be a few more nice things in 3 months time.  The class 66 isn't suitable for me, but the mineral wagon is, so not all bad.  I "might" have a use for the restaurant car, but I would rather I don't find a use for it (while I have got most of the coaches I "need" for my railway (all the 1960s green Bulleids and nearly all of the more practical MK1s for a Southern Region branch line), I keep "finding a use for" other ones that are not really appropriate!).

4 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Don't hold your breath, I think the Pressed Steel 117 will get shrunk first. Long frame, long lived, widely used and lots more liveries....

Dave, the 117 is top of my list of what I'd love ;)..

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey

22 hours ago, Steven B said:

Add in Dapol and you have the M7 and Terrier for the SR, together with Manors, Halls & Granges for the GWR. Still no LNER tank engine though!

Steven B.

I was thinking in terms of one manufacturer, but yes you are right if you include Dapol you can fill some of those gaps, however if you apply those groups to Dapol they do even worse.

For Farish some gaps will be easy to fill. Southern O2 or E4 seem logical - especially the E4 if they used the OO research.  GWR give them a modified Hall, 43XX or 61XX and you fill those gaps.

Tricky one is the LNER Tank, do you do a G5, J69, J72, J83 or V1 none of which covered the entire LNER sector  like a Jinty on the LMS

• RMweb Gold

For the LNER tank, there is also the N2 and N7 as well— again, neither covering the whole of the LNER area. Not forgetting the J50 and J94…

That's the problem with the LNER. Apart from the Pacifics, only the J39 and the B1 were to be found across a wide range of territory. That's why they've been modelled. The "standard" tanks weren't really all that standard.