Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

23 hours ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

As a matter of interest, how many of those are due in the next three months?

As a matter of interest I couldn't give a flying fig. I just know other manufacturers are making a better pitch for my money than Bachfar at the moment, be it the next 3 months or 3 years, and the this latest 'non' announcement only backs that up.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bingley hall said:

As a matter of interest I couldn't give a flying fig. I just know other manufacturers are making a better pitch for my money than Bachfar at the moment, be it the next 3 months or 3 years, and the this latest 'non' announcement only backs that up.

But the point is that not one of the items you listed was announced and delivered within three months.  You will get an announcement from Graham Farish every three months giving what is new and will be delivered within three months.  At the moment it is in an intermediate stage because there are still items from before the new policy that have not yet arrived.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

But the point is that not one of the items you listed was announced and delivered within three months.  You will get an announcement from Graham Farish every three months giving what is new and will be delivered within three months.  At the moment it is in an intermediate stage because there are still items from before the new policy that have not yet arrived.  

Well the only thing announced in Feb I want (the maroon RU)  is still not out and won't be for some time. The three month announcement cycle is an artificial construct, it could be useful for moving up popular re-releases or re-liveries e.g Maroon Thompson) or recent one off e.g. the Two tone rail freight grey class 66; but no, because Kader production requirements do not allow that flexibility. I doubt that anything which will be announced in the autumn didn't already have a confirmed production slot by the end of 2020.

As with others I am looking at other manufactures (a full rake of Mk5 sleepers from Revolution is getting more likley), even if GF produce a stunning new model in September unless its a 'must have' for my periods then unlike 5 years ago, when something nice but out of period may be budgeted in as a Rule 1 model, it won't get purchased.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, so the Graham Farish Maroon RU is shown as June / July.  Given the shipping delays at the moment following a small incident in Suez that is not much of a delay.

Revolution announced the Mk5 coaches in February 2019.  So as long as Graham Farish announce one item you are interested in every two years they will have the same success rate at attracting your interest!

I really don't understand why everyone thinks every announcement made must include lots of brand newly tooled models every three months.  Who else is producing brand new N Gauge models at the rate Graham Farish are?  Yes there was not much in this announcement, but you get four announcements a year.  I have brand new Class 40s and 31s at home bought earlier this year.  I have not got anything from any other manufacturer, but that does not mean that I now believe the other manufacturers are rubbish!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

For me this year will be a Dapol & Kato year. I might pick up a maroon RU when they come out just to strengthen one of my rakes. That's fine, next might end up being more of a Farish year.

I don't see why some folk are so critical of Bachmann; they are a business not a charity. Those in charge at Barwell are almost certainly as frustrated as us by the lack of new models. 

• Like 1

I think the frustration is that OO modellers are getting new models being announced and arriving in timely manners, whereas us N Gaugers seem to be the poor relation.

I can't recall how many times I and others have approached Bachmann asking for certain models to be shrunk down to N when they are announced in OO to no avail, citing "They didn't sell very well in OO, so doubt they will in N" but then a second run of these models is announced, i.e. Class 85 as an example.

Surely if a model in OO is announced as an upgrade on an old model, why can't the N Gauge one be done at the same time?? Class 90 anyone??

Yes the 40 and 31 have arrived, and they're great. But if you've done the 40 why not move onto the Peak?? It's pretty much the same chassis!!!

As I said Tim @Captain Kernowit's frustration!!!!

Regards

Neal.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Yes the 40 and 31 have arrived, and they're great. But if you've done the 40 why not move onto the Peak?? It's pretty much the same chassis!!!

I do understand the frustration, would love a Peak too!  However, there is nothing to say they are not working on it and we only have three months to wait until the next announcement.  

37 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Neal, I think your comments are a response to my alter ego, Not Captain Kernow, as I haven't hitherto commented on this thread?

Tim,

That'll teach me to read every word properly, DOH!!!!!

Cheers

Neal.

P.S. Can't wait to get back to the SWAG Meeting in Taunton

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

I think the frustration is that OO modellers are getting new models being announced and arriving in timely manners, whereas us N Gaugers seem to be the poor relation.

I can't recall how many times I and others have approached Bachmann asking for certain models to be shrunk down to N when they are announced in OO to no avail, citing "They didn't sell very well in OO, so doubt they will in N" but then a second run of these models is announced, i.e. Class 85 as an example.

Surely if a model in OO is announced as an upgrade on an old model, why can't the N Gauge one be done at the same time?? Class 90 anyone??

As I said Tim @Captain Kernowit's frustration!!!!

Regards

Neal.

I absolutely agree with this statement & share the frustration.

I've been praying for the Class 117 DMU to be shrunk as we have a real lack of choice regarding first generation passenger DMU's with just the 101, 108 None headcode box type (short framed units) & Dapol's bubble cars (long framed) on offer. 

In OO gauge, you can choose from: Derby lightweight (Bachmann), 101(Bachmann), 104 (Forthcoming from Heljen), 105 (Bachmann) 108 (Both small destination cab dome & headcode box versions by Bachmann) 117 (Bachmann) 121 (Bachmann)

When the Class 117 DMU was announced in 2015 I really thought this would hit the shrinkray too, but even with already produced models in new liveries (such as the 101, 108 & 150) have taken/are taking years to hit the shops compared to OO offerings after being announced

It is very frustrating. 

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 1977joey said:

When the Class 117 DMU was announced in 2015 I really thought this would hit the shrinkray too, but even with already produced models in new liveries (such as the 101, 108 & 150)  are taking years to hit the shops compared to OO offerings

But they are turning out more DMUs in new liveries so they feel they still sell in N, so perhaps there is still time for a 105 or more likely a 117 in N to come.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fezza said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for new dmus - how long have we been waiting for the 70s refurb 108s, let alone the retooled 158s or a modern spec 170? 

3 Car 108s in BR Blue or White and Blue due June/July...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The latest Bachmann Times has images of the livery samples for the Class 319 and they look very tasty indeed. 

It also reports that the sound fitted N Class is now in transit, and that livery samples have been received or are expected for the Class 450 and Crew Cut 47s shortly. 

The sound fitted Class 60 is at EP stage.

Currently being tooled are the sound fitted 5MT and Class 14.

The Class 158 is still at CAD stage, but Bachmann have said that won’t progress until the Class 319 is released. 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, davebem said:

Thanks Tom E, those are useful updates.  The extra delays with the crewe cut 47s could be due to extra retool of the chassis for sound provisioning?

The 47 is no longer getting the sound update unfortunately. Bachmann announced  about year ago that there was no capacity in the design department for the changes needed to the Class 47 to accommodate a Next18 socket and speaker so rather than delay it indefinitely they opted to revert back to the current 6pin setup. 

Tom.  

11 hours ago, davebem said:

Thanks Tom E, those are useful updates.  The extra delays with the crewe cut 47s could be due to extra retool of the chassis for sound provisioning?

10 hours ago, TomE said:

The 47 is no longer getting the sound update unfortunately. Bachmann announced  about year ago that there was no capacity in the design department for the changes needed to the Class 47 to accommodate a Next18 socket and speaker so rather than delay it indefinitely they opted to revert back to the current 6pin setup. 

Tom.  

If you need to add sound to a 6 pin 47 I understand removing the cab interior at one end allows a sound chip and a speaker to be fitted.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2021 at 18:24, TomE said:

livery samples have been received or are expected for the Class 450

Since they are bothering with the 450, they should go ahead and release in SWR livery as well - it looks really crisp and I reckon at least 20% of the 450s must be in the new livery now, based on my causal observations of them passing through Esher/Hersham.

As an aside, seen the new 701 Arterio several times at the same locations over the past week - that also looks very sharp in the SWR livery!.... I won’t expect to ever see that from Farish though :lol: !