Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

• 2 weeks later...

I have an N Class in BR black with late crest from the original run, I don't model SR or anywhere close but it was such a lovely model, like the C Class I bought it purely as a "Rule 1". I can't be tempted by another even with the Next 18/speaker upgrade but I am sure it will prove just as popular as the first run was.

I am keenly waiting for the sound fitted Standard 5, I already have a number of them and one sound fitted already, but based on the 8F's sound file I think Bachmann's sound provider really does nail it.

Things have been so slow of late Farish wise compared to Bachmann's OO range, and I really hope we see things pick up for Q3. I recall that this was hinted at according to Osborns Models' report of conversation they had with Bachmann - a new steam loco would be nice or maybe a new Peak? (I know - stop it!).  

Second hand prices of anything BachFarish are becoming eye-watering and there is clearly as much demand for British N as there ever was but supply is still it would seem a challenge. 

Roy

12 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Things have been so slow of late Farish wise compared to Bachmann's OO range...

Second hand prices of anything BachFarish are becoming eye-watering and there is clearly as much demand for British N as there ever was but supply is still it would seem a challenge. 

Roy

A Peak would certainly get my vote - but perhaps with the right size bogey frames this time?

The cynic in me thinks that limiting supply might be a deliberate strategy to prepare the market for even higher prices. If you are the single supplier of a specific product you limit supply so if demand stays constant, your prices and profits per unit rise...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, fezza said:

The cynic in me thinks that limiting supply might be a deliberate strategy to prepare the market for even higher prices. 

Really? Somehow I doubt it. I don't think their batch size (around 1000) has changed and they still seem to release three batches, each with different livery/details, at the same time.

Plus, and perhaps you haven't noticed, but world trade is experiencing very difficult times - the covid pandemic, blockages in the Suez, shortage of containers and truck drivers, etc.,. I guess they all have an impact on supply issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grahame said:

Really? Somehow I doubt it. I don't think their batch size (around 1000) has changed and they still seem to release three batches, each with different livery/details, at the same time.

Plus, and perhaps you haven't noticed, but world trade is experiencing very difficult times - the covid pandemic, blockages in the Suez, shortage of containers and truck drivers, etc.,. I guess they all have an impact on supply issues.

Batch sizes may or may not have changed (we have no way of knowing) but the product range is not what it was. 

There are some global factors of course but Covid has become the "don't you know there's a war on" excuse of modern times. It's sometimes relevant, but not always. Some products were very late even before 2020 started.

Peaks must have been the most popular loco class in the 1980s (when many middle age collectors grew up) yet we still don't have a modern spec Peak in N gauge. Very odd really - they would surely shift more than EMUs?

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, fezza said:

Peaks must have been the most popular loco class in the 1980s (when many middle age collectors grew up) yet we still don't have a modern spec Peak in N gauge. Very odd really - they would surely shift more than EMUs?

Nope, they're not popular with me. And you know that Peaks would surely shift more than EMUs for certain? Really? How do you know?

Perhaps not so odd, especially when there have been models of Peaks previously produced that will have sated at least some market demand. 

The Peaks did satisfy a demand, but there will be renewed demand if they are Next18 DCC ready with a speaker and they try out some different noses.

Would they shift more of those than EMUs - interesting question, I am sure all those who bought CEPs would be happy to purchase a 2EPB  or two, and would look fine alongside a 319 too.  Who knows, a decent sale of 2EPBs might even get juices going for RevolutioN to do a 508 from their 313 design.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Farish have produced 9 batches of Peaks over the years (although the last around 10 years ago):

371-200               2006      BR Blue                44008  Penyghent

371-201               2006      BR Green             D1  Scafell Pike

371-202               2011      BR Green             D7  Ingleborough

371-575               2006      BR Green [SYP] D67  The Royal Artilleryman

371-575A             2011      BR Green [SYP] D655  Royal Signals

371-576               2006      BR Blue                45114 

371-585               2006      BR Green             D163  Leicestershire & Derbyshire Yeomanry

371-586               2006      BR Blue                46053 

371-587               2011      BR Blue                D186 

I guess there will be a fair few owners of them who are not likely to replace them with an expensive speaker fitted version. Some might, but I doubt all would.

Personally I'd rather see development put in to motive power that isn't (or has not been) available, to extend the range rather than replicate it.

All I will say is that Bachmann clearly think there is a demand for Peaks  in 00 as they have just churned out multiple versions - and the older 00 peaks weren't as outdated or inaccurate as the Farish ones.

Nothing against EMUs but the fact you can still buy "new" releases from ten years ago makes me wonder. What percentage of British N gauge layouts have third rail or OHLE? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fezza said:

There are some global factors of course but Covid has become the "don't you know there's a war on" excuse of modern times. It's sometimes relevant, but not always.

Sure, sometimes it might sound like an excuse and maybe occasionally it is. But covid has been (and still is) a very real pandemic. Doubting the effect of it on worldwide trade is rather like being a covid denier. And, of course, the Suez blockage, truck driver and container shortages is also very real.

As BachFarish already have a suitable modern chassis available in the shape of the Class 40, surely tweaking it for a Peak is not beyond them.

Ok the body is completely different, but they have the starting point in the CADs from the earlier release.

Regards

Neal.

51 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

As BachFarish already have a suitable modern chassis available in the shape of the Class 40, surely tweaking it for a Peak is not beyond them.

Ok the body is completely different, but they have the starting point in the CADs from the earlier release.

Regards

Neal.

It would have to be a complete "rails up" job I think, the Class 40 chassis has a different wheelbase and there is no way such a compromise would be acceptable these days.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The bogie wheelbase dimensions are shared on the class 40, 44, 45 & 46 (8'-8'-5'6") with the same wheel size (3'9" and 3'), but the distance between the bogies was longer on the class 40 (34' 3" vs 32' 8"). At best you could copy and paste the CAD for the functioning bits of the chassis, and chop 4mm from the main chassis block.

Steven B.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grahame said:

Farish have produced 9 batches of Peaks over the years (although the last around 10 years ago):

371-200               2006      BR Blue                44008  Penyghent

371-201               2006      BR Green             D1  Scafell Pike

371-202               2011      BR Green             D7  Ingleborough

371-575               2006      BR Green [SYP] D67  The Royal Artilleryman

371-575A             2011      BR Green [SYP] D655  Royal Signals

371-576               2006      BR Blue                45114 

371-585               2006      BR Green             D163  Leicestershire & Derbyshire Yeomanry

371-586               2006      BR Blue                46053 

371-587               2011      BR Blue                D186 

I think I’m right in saying though that none of those versions are of locomotives that had the plated-over headcode boxes that were around on class 45s for the last ten years or so of their existence. That, I’m sure, would be a popular version to produce (there were dozens of them) and I would hope that it would be a strong candidate if/when Farish decide to update their “Peak”.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, fezza said:

Nothing against EMUs but the fact you can still buy "new" releases from ten years ago makes me wonder. What percentage of British N gauge layouts have third rail or OHLE? 

Can you? Which ones? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

I think I’m right in saying though that none of those versions are of locomotives that had the plated-over headcode boxes that were around on class 45s for the last ten years or so of their existence. That, I’m sure, would be a popular version to produce (there were dozens of them) and I would hope that it would be a strong candidate if/when Farish decide to update their “Peak”.

Correct. Sealed beam Peaks are a must for 1980s MML and transpennine modelling.  Plus 45106 as a collectors club limited edition in celebrity Tinsley green livery.

• Like 1

For Peaks we have:

• Doors and discs on the 44
  • Doors and split headcode on the 45
  • No doors and split headcode 45
  • Centre headcode with a divider
  • Centre headcode no divider
  • Sealed front end twin lights
  • Sealed front end with twin lights and single headlight

Quite a bit to play with and could keep us in models for a few years.

Then there is of course 24/1, 25/0, 25/3 and a skinhead 31.

But there is still space for a 2EPB, 117 and a 105 in the range.

• Agree 1

Would always buy more third rail units in either BR Green or NSE (at least one of each in both liveries), and have said before on the N Gauge Forum (some time ago), the EPB stock is rather modular as just four types of body moulds would cover three different units.

BR Versions (un-refurbished) of the 2EPB, 4EPB and 2HAPs all use the same DMBSO (4EPB uses two), then just needing a single other coach mould for each other unit as such:

2EPB: DMBSO, DTSO
4EPB: DMBSO, TSO, TSO, DMBSO

2HAP: DMBSO, DTCL

And if you really want, there's also the 4CAP units which are just two 2HAPs stuck together.

1 hour ago, JimSan said:

BR Versions (un-refurbished) of the 2EPB, 4EPB and 2HAPs all use the same DMBSO (4EPB uses two), then just needing a single other coach mould for each other unit as such:

Apart from the ex-Tyneside 2EPB units ;)

5 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Indeed, the ironic thing about that list of versions that GF have produced is that it didn't include a bog standard Rail Blue version, just this oddball one with a side stripe.

371-576_6587_Qty1_1.JPG

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Indeed, the ironic thing about that list of versions that GF have produced is that it didn't include a bog standard Rail Blue version, just this oddball one with a side stripe.

371-576_6587_Qty1_1.JPG

That’s true with regard to class 45s but the model of 46053 was bog standard rail blue with black buffer beams and a domino headcode box. The model of 44008 had a red buffer beam but I don’t know if they were all like that in real life. 

Edited by Western Aviator

On 13/07/2021 at 10:35, fezza said:

@fezzaSo who has the secret stash of EMUs? I cannot find one online, or in any stores around here.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

@fezzaSo who has the secret stash of EMUs? I cannot find one online, or in any stores around here.

Hereford Models for one have three units in stock - and they are going for just £118! They've been at that price for more than a year and haven't sold.