Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

14 minutes ago, TomE said:

Although today was undoubtedly a disappointment, I still think we are in that awkward period between the change in their announcement method. Look at the Class 47 for example. They’ve been working on that for over a year according to yesterday’s presentation, so what’s to say they aren’t doing similar with something in N. 

As someone who interpreted the Osborns feedback as some significant N announcements this time, wrongly as it turned out, I'll admit to feeling a bit deflated when I watched the announcement vid but I think the above from Tom goes to the heart of the matter. Bachmann are aiming to have products shipped within the 3 months covered by the announcements so if they can't make that timescale do they hold back or announce with longer waits (and we've been around the long wait discussion many times). Maybe I'm over optimistic but there is the transition period that Tom mentions not to mention a pandemic with all the effects on people and businesses. Personally I think it's too early to suggest the current lull is related to losing interest in N, as opposed to a unique set of circumstances that weren't predictable when they changed their approach to quarterly announcements.

They did announce the class 69 between the set piece events, and did it in parallel with the OO offering, that doesn't strike me as indicative of losing interest.

Of course I could be wrong, I was wrong on this very thread only yesterday! 

Rob

• Agree 2

Did the EFE Rail N gauge JIA China Clay hoppers ever get released? There were 12 catalogue references in the Winter/November  2020 announcements, but I do not recall them arriving. ER87500-87511 were listed at the same time as The Mermaids and Sharks.

15 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

Did the EFE Rail N gauge JIA China Clay hoppers ever get released? 

I've been wondering about those as well - not seen any adverts for them on sale.  It does seem to have gone very quiet about them. Perhaps they've been lost/delayed at sea, or maybe the project has been cancelled.

53 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

Did the EFE Rail N gauge JIA China Clay hoppers ever get released? There were 12 catalogue references in the Winter/November  2020 announcements, but I do not recall them arriving. ER87500-87511 were listed at the same time as The Mermaids and Sharks.

35 minutes ago, grahame said:

I've been wondering about those as well - not seen any adverts for them on sale.  It does seem to have gone very quiet about them. Perhaps they've been lost/delayed at sea, or maybe the project has been cancelled.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/eferail/wagons-n

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I watched the Autumn announcement video this morning live - I literally thought I must have missed the Farish segment.... nope, I didn’t, but blink and you would have missed it....!

I think the fact that we’re posting these comments in the ‘Spring 2021 announcements’ thread speaks volumes really....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Suffolk Rob said:

Personally I think it's too early to suggest the current lull is related to losing interest in N, as opposed to a unique set of circumstances that weren't predictable when they changed their approach to quarterly announcements.

Unfortunately this lull stagnation has been going on for far too long. When the summer announcement was made I created the information below to show the announcements for N Gauge from Bachmann for the last couple of years. I've just updated it for this thread. 

Autumn 2021

1 new wagon livery

3 new coach liveries

2 new brake van liveries

Intermediate announcement

Class 69 (long term project with no anticipated release date). 

Summer 2021 

Nothing

Spring 2021

1x new loco livery (class 66)

1x new coach livery

2x new wagon liveries

Winter 2020

6x new loco livery (all class 31 - all sound fitted).

Autumn 2020

3x coach new liveries (2 of these were a single pack).

Summer 2020

Nothing

Spring 2020

Nothing

To contrast this, in 2019 Bachmann announced 

2 new wagons 

5 locos getting sound upgrades

(5mt, class 14, class 60, class 101 and class 150) - Have any of these arrived yet?

43 locos with new liveries

40 coaches with new liveries

61 wagon and brake van with new liveries.

Edited by Kris
typo

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Kris said:

Spring 2020

Nothing

To contrast this, in 2019 Bachmann announced 

2 new wagons 

5 locos getting sound upgrades

(5mt, class 14, class 60, class 101 and class 150) - Have any of these arrived yet?

43 locos with new liveries

40 coaches with new liveries

61 wagon and brake van with new liveries.

Kris, I have the Class 70, Freightliner and Colas, down for Spring 2020 (was this out of the blue or previously announced/known about?); BR Standard 3MT (Existing model; Thomson coaches (previously announced?); GWR Toad (3 liveries)

I may be wrong, but I took that from the thread on RMWeb...

Best

Scott.

What announcement? I'm afraid Farish is dying on its feet. The parent company have their focus elsewhere.

I love N gauge but I'm not sure I'd choose the scale now if I was modelling the contemporary scene. 

Let's hope Dapol or others step up.

3 minutes ago, fezza said:

What announcement? I'm afraid Farish is dying on its feet. The parent company have their focus elsewhere.

I love N gauge but I'm not sure I'd choose the scale now if I was modelling the contemporary scene. 

Let's hope Dapol or others step up.

Speaking as an N gauge loyalist, i think to be honest the void has really been filled by Revolution. Looking at the units available now and coming in the future, there's plenty to attract to N gauge... Farish though are clearly not even in a holding pattern any longer.

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Kris, I have the Class 70, Freightliner and Colas, down for Spring 2020 (was this out of the blue or previously announced/known about?); BR Standard 3MT (Existing model; Thomson coaches (previously announced?); GWR Toad (3 liveries)

I may be wrong, but I took that from the thread on RMWeb...

Best

Scott.

All of those items had been previously announced but were expected in that time period.  

Although I have a view on the lull, stagnation, or any other word for this period with little to no new tooling announcements, and accepting I have no understanding of the financing of models, I do find the choices of the few  reruns we are seeing a little strange

I don't know the number of production slots or finances available to Bachmann across the range in all scales for re-runs and that does of course have to be a hard-headed business decision as to how they slice the pie.

Thinking as a modeler who only pays for the model I buy rather than financing the whole run, it seems to make sense, for example, to have reasonably regular runs of Blue or Green 37s, 25s, 47s, 20s or whatever but I don't have to decide what that run is instead of, or what the relative returns would be for Bachmann and their relative profit margins across the range and scales.

But if it is about returns in the sense of models at least being on retail shelves rather than their own warehouse, and I had the choice of one similarly expensive to rerun (I assume) N gauge coach in 2-3 liveries, I don't quite get why they opt for the inspection saloon rather than say a Mk 1 Second in Maroon, Blue Grey and A N other livery. Assuming those haven't been run for a while, haven't looked recently as not something I'm after personally

But there is a lot I don't know about the business side of my chosen hobby.

Rob

• Agree 3

N gauge models with release dates:

Aug/Sep

EFE Rail JIA wagon X12

5/7/8 plank wagon X11

LMS brake van X2

Sep/Oct

TTA wagon X2

Oct/Nov

LMS saloon carriage X3

TTA wagon X1

LMS brake van X2

Nov/Dec

Class 150 DMU X4

Dec/Jan

MK1 BG X4

MK2A TSO X1

Coach pack X2

BR ventilated van X3

BR insulated van X3

LNER ventilated van X3

Jan/Feb

Class 101 DMU X3

Class 319 EMU X3

MR brake van X3

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Two versions left, Crimson with Yellow Ends (Preserved) and LMS Unlined.

Best

Scott.

Wow, so the original NGS version hasn't sold out, the Farish version hasn't sold out and then someone at Bachmann towers thought that they needed to release another one? The odd thing about them choosing another run of the Inspection Saloon is that I remember them selling rather slowly in general when they were first released with retailers ending up discounting them quite heavily.

On a more positive note I'm pleased with the release of the ex-LMS brake van in NCB colours, but I wondering if they are just copying Hornby or if Farish/EFE have something lined up to go with it....

NCB Comrie Apr 81 - Corporate Colours

1 hour ago, m0rris said:

Speaking as an N gauge loyalist, i think to be honest the void has really been filled by Revolution. Looking at the units available now and coming in the future, there's plenty to attract to N gauge... Farish though are clearly not even in a holding pattern any longer.

I too am an N Gauge loyalist but welcome and exciting though Revolutions' releases and future plans are, they cannot possibly fill any void because the range of Farish models is so extensive. By way of just one example Farish has tooled several types of brake van alone, and EFE Shark aside, nobody else manufactures a single RTR N Gauge brake van.

For balance I have since had a good look at the Farish range of models on Bachamnn's website, and here to be fair I must retract any thought I may have had about them not being interested in British N. There are a lot of wagons and vans in stock, Brake vans too, plus a good number with delivery dates within the next 6 months too. The announcements we have seen today appear to be additional livery variants "bolted on" to planned production. 

The same goes for coaches, there are a lot in stock or on the way, the glaring issue is that there is not a range of maroon Mk1s to make up a whole train for example, just odd vehicles, it applies to others too. Thompsons sold through already so clearly went well.

Locomotives - there is a huge portfolio of tooling but only 20 steam locos listed in total and of them the 5MT, 4F, J39 and Fairburn (all bread and butter locos) are still "awaiting". Of the diesel loco range, the announced 08, 47, 60, 37, 42, 14 and 24 of various liveries are still "awaiting". 

I.e. there is a massive backlog (or they are not as big a priority and will be got to when they are got to).

Seeing even some of those "awaiting" come through would be reassuring for most people and bolster the range, prioritising the "bread and butter" models like the said 4F, 5MT or Class 37, 24 etc, ones known to sell.

It is perhaps telling that of the most recent 31s, only the "niche" liveries remain in stock, the green and blue ones are long gone.

So at the end of this long ramble I have revised my initial reaction, Bachmann has plans for a lot of releases but progress is glacial and they need to try to push some of the more reliable sellers through more quickly.

The quarterly announcements are not helpful, if anything they only highlight the lack of progress in both scales and as a PR exercise they are badly wanting.

Roy

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

By way of just one example Farish has tooled several types of brake van alone, and EFE Shark aside, nobody else manufactures a single RTR N Gauge brake van.

Peco do 2 versions of a RTR brake van in N, a BR standard and an NE style one. I have added a couple of links to show these (other retailers are available). 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/21536/NR-49E-Peco-Brake-Van-in-NE-Bauxite-livery

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/16617/NR-28B-Peco-Brake-Van-in-BR-Bauxite-livery

Edited by Kris
Links for pictures added.

8 minutes ago, Kris said:

Peco do 2 versions of a RTR brake van in N, a BR standard and an NE style one. 

Hi Kris

Yes, I should have added to modern standards, the PECO tooling is way over 30 years old and not accurate, but to be fair they are inexpensive in relative terms.

Regards

Roy

• Agree 2

I think we need to be careful about what is read in to these quarterly bulletins/press releases - I'm reluctant to call them announcements as it unrealistically raises expectations and comparisons with other scales - as there are other N gauge products previously announced and in development that aren't mentioned in the quarterly press releases like the class 319 and 158, the recently announced class 69, the EFE china clay covered hoppers, and various sound fitted locos. 

Fingers crossed they are progressed with greater urgency than appears to be currently the case and they are delivered soon.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, fezza said:

I'd argue there hasn't really been a better time to model the contemporary scene, what with everything Revolution have produced/are producing, The Kato 800, and the re-releases Dapol are planning. Plus irrespective of the lack of announcements today, Farish still have the crewe cut 47s, Class 60s, Class 69, Class 319, Class 158 & Class 450 coming from previous announcements, and some I've probably forgotten off the top of my head. I do accept that there are some items in the Farish range that desperately need to be reissued though, particularly the MK.2s, and they really need to sort out their production numbers for SOs!!

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

I'm probably in the minority here but I much preferred the older yearly announcement of items to be produced, even if they were a long way off. I think they were better for everyone all round not just the company announcing things. 

Let's say for argument's sake today farish announced an adams radial. It won't be available until 2024 but it coming.

I guarantee people would start sketching up that lyme regis branch they've always wanted and start building the layout ready for the new locomotive...

But in the meantime what to do? Perhaps I'll have to buy a 3mt to fill in until it arrives. Better get onto Dapol and buy a couple of coaches. Mr Peco can supply me with some track... 

You watch them shrink Ray the 7f and see how many S&D layouts kick off on an act of faith. Again bolstered by purchases of other items of rolling stock ready for when it arrives. 

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I much preferred the older yearly announcement of items to be produced, even if they were a long way off. I think they were better for everyone all round not just the company announcing things. 

Let's say for argument's sake today farish announced an adams radial. It won't be available until 2024 but it coming.

I guarantee people would start sketching up that lyme regis branch they've always wanted and start building the layout ready for the new locomotive...

But in the meantime what to do? Perhaps I'll have to buy a 3mt to fill in until it arrives. Better get onto Dapol and buy a couple of coaches. Mr Peco can supply me with some track... 

You watch them shrink Ray the 7f and see how many S&D layouts kick off on an act of faith. Again bolstered by purchases of other items of rolling stock ready for when it arrives. 

I completely agree, if you know it’s coming you can budget for it, also if you announce it early enough you can avoid duplication, I would love a class 90 to modern standards in N gauge but as Farish have again not announced it I am still waiting. Will Revolution pick it up as it would be a sensible follow on to the 92 in my eyes, but there is always that risk of Farish bringing theres out suddenly that can put someone else off attempting to make it, so we are sat here with no 90

and the risk of duplication if someone else starts one

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2021 at 15:58, Mike Harvey said:

This is where I get frustrated.  They go from annual announcements to quarterly, and say that anything new that is announced will be on the shelves in the next 3 month.  So where are they?  Where's an update explaining the delay?

Then decide to drop in announcements ad-hoc like the class 69.

TBH it would be beter if they didn't hold these announcement events anymore, and just drip feed new model releases through the year.

Holding a staged event only ends up with modellers getting their hopes up, frothing only to be moaning that a model they wanted or thought would be announced isn't.  And then moaning that the models are taking too long.  I think I've closed the loop there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There was a time when we were lucky to get one or two new model releases each year. Things have changed significantly in the 21st century and expectations have increased along with that. Over the last year or so we’ve had quite a few all new N gauge models such as; the Kato class 800 IET, Sonic 56xx, Dapol HST prototype, Revolution class 92, EFE class 17, Farish 8F, etc. And, of course, there are plenty in current development due for release such as the Farish class 69, 158 and 319, Dapol class 59 and M7, Rapido class 28, Revolution class 128, 313/314 and 320/321, Sonic J50, NGS Hunslet, etc. And then there are those requiring just a tweak to tooling and/or a new livery such as the Farish class 450, Crewe cut class 47, and a raft of sound fitted locos plus those that have been in long tern development.

I guess one of the issues with Farish is that once they were the major player in N gauge and produced by far the majority of the new UK models. But things have changed and there are now a whole host of competitors such as Dapol, Rapido, Revolution, Sonic, Union Mills, Kato, (and even the NGS, Realtrack and C=Rail producing RTR wagons), etc., in the British 1:148 scale market. And there are a lot of new issues affecting production and supply like rapidly increasing shipping costs, shipping delays (caused by the blocked Suez and a shortage of containers), truck driver shortages, the coronavirus pandemic and so on.

However, Bachmann/Farish have somewhat brought things (like the moans and complaints) on themselves by the introduction of the three monthly reports (that aren't exactly firm announcements but rather press releases about intentions despite claiming they are of new items that will be available in the next three months) that have only increased attention and stoked expectations. Plus they have appeared to scale back on increasing/developing their N gauge range especially in comparison with their other scales/ranges including dabbling in new ones like OO9 and O.

But overall, IMO, the picture and future for N gauge isn't bad when considering what's available (quality and range compared with the past) and the list of development due from a large number of manufacturers. It could be better though, especially from Farish.

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 4