Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is that he's using a factory that's unused to making N Gauge steam locos - hence starting simple with inside valve/cylinder locos like the 56xx and J50. I'd expect something more complicated to follow before too long. Possibly outside cylinder, inside valve gear next?

Steven B

Just now, Steven B said:

My understanding is that he's using a factory that's unused to making N Gauge steam locos - hence starting simple with inside valve/cylinder locos like the 56xx and J50. I'd expect something more complicated to follow before too long. Possibly outside cylinder, inside valve gear next?

Steven B

Possibly, I reckon a King at some point....

But if the inside valve gear and cylinders are easier to build, that makes them cheaper to produce in numbers, there isn't much on the diesel side left to go for, so lots of simple steam engines gives a steady income stream i.e. Union Mills.

In terms of simple outside cylinder locos - Midland Compounds, but why not do a Midland 2P or a T9 or one of several Southern 4-4-0s.

There's lots to do without venturing into the complicated valve gear models that Farish already do very well

Here's something to ponder, with Warley being cancelled and this usually being the Show that any big announcements are made, will Farish bring them forward to TINGS??

Cheers

Neal. 

2 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

Here's something to ponder, with Warley being cancelled and this usually being the Show that any big announcements are made, will Farish bring them forward to TINGS??

Or even before TINGS like Revolution

It's certainly thrill a minute in N gauge right now :)

• Like 1

On 08/08/2021 at 21:33, Cowley 47521 said:

I would say concentrate on buying what is available and is of good enough quality that you’d be happy with it now if you want to start stockpiling for a new project.

I guess you don’t need a huge amount of stock for a layout like that so be a bit discerning and patient until the correct things are available even if it takes a couple of years maybe?

I don't need loads, maybe 7 or 8 different formations for the period I am modelling. Some kit bashing will be required (OTAs) and respraying otherwise it will be very low on traffic or very unauthentic.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, grahame said:

Plenty of electrics, EMUs, DMUs and DEMUs though . . . 

Not to mention classes 06, 07, the missing pilot scheme type 1s, plus AL1-5 and the 76s.

And who's up for Falcon? That wore a few different liveries....

4 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

I don't need loads, maybe 7 or 8 different formations for the period I am modelling. Some kit bashing will be required (OTAs) and respraying otherwise it will be very low on traffic or very unauthentic.

A bit like me but the opposite end of the country!

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Because Union Mills do the 2P and T9 already already.

Whilst the Union Mills models are good haulers they are rather crude in appearance. A detailed model of either of these would sell well.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Also, union mills are made of super hard metal which makes them much harder to drill handrail/lamp iron knobs into. It’s so-able and they’re good-ish models, but they can be detailed into really good models if you have adamantium mini drill bits…

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Also, union mills are made of super hard metal which makes them much harder to drill handrail/lamp iron knobs into. It’s so-able and they’re good-ish models, but they can be detailed into really good models if you have adamantium mini drill bits…

Union Mills locos buff up rather well and the bodies are whitemetal and can be carved with a scalpel.

Jerry

423330912_2F25.jpg.fd2782279b68af4d2f1909d3405b9fdc.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2021 at 16:36, Calnefoxile said:

Cheers

Neal. 

So did they announce anything????

On 11/09/2021 at 16:11, Kris said:

So did they announce anything????

Simply put NO, nothing, nada........

My suspicions are that if they do announce anything it'll be at their Members Club day on the 26th Sept, along with the sales of all their repairs that used to take place at TINGS. They really are trying to alienate as many people as possible, whereas Dapol are actually trying very hard to please punters with their sale of their NQP stuff at ridiculously cheap prices, people were picking up loco's for £50 that just need a couple of wires soldered back on.....

Cheers

Neal

14 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Simply put NO, nothing, nada........

My suspicions are that if they do announce anything it'll be at their Members Club day on the 26th Sept, along with the sales of all their repairs that used to take place at TINGS. They really are trying to alienate as many people as possible, whereas Dapol are actually trying very hard to please punters with their sale of their NQP stuff at ridiculously cheap prices, people were picking up loco's for £50 that just need a couple of wires soldered back on.....

Cheers

Neal

Dapol have been doing the NQP and stock sales at big events for years, nothing new, Bachmann only really did that at Warley which is of course cancelled again this year.

So what if they offer returns cheap to their club members, they are paying for some privileges.

Plenty of updates on existing projects, deco samples and the like but no, nothing new. I took the opportunity to speak to a very pleasant and helpful young lady on the stand, and it is very clear that Bachmann UK are only too aware of the unhappy feedback/comments from N modellers. Problems with Chinese manufacturing/covid was mentioned, I was assured that there are "new" products in the pipeline, but no indication of course as to when there will be news. Personally as there was nothing at TINGS I do not expect anything on the 26th September either, rightly or wrongly (a matter of opinion) they appear to be sticking to the policy of quarterly announcements.  

What concerned me more was the pace at which the things we do know about will apparently be coming through. I asked if there was any ETA for the sound upgraded 5MT, and the reply was that if at EP stage now, probably 18 months, so that would be Q1 2023, I must stress this was an estimate and I may have put her on the spot in asking, I am hopeful as it is only a partial retool it may be sooner, but N releases are already scheduled into the first I think 6 months of 2022 so reasonable to think none of the 4 "awaited" steam re-runs will be until after that.

I did ask why new tool OO models were in that case coming through quarterly, but didn't really expect an answer and it wouldn't have been fair to push, after all she was just the messenger!

Last point, as a Collectors' Club member myself, I haven't seen that much benefit for my membership apart from an annual PO wagon which is very pretty but not my chosen era, so I am happy that there is an exclusive opportunity for me to hopefully find a bargain or two - I guess I see this from a different perspective.

Roy

To be fair to others, I too was a little disappointed nothing was announced at the weekend, I saw TINGS (or Warley) as the perfect place to celebrate Farish's anniversary.

But then I thought to myself, life is too short to worry about the things I don't yet know about and to focus on what I do have.  Someone mentioned getting recent Mk1 coaches at £12, great, but I would have needed a few to make up the train fare and entrance fee to TINGS, all being moot because I have enough Mk1s.

Rather than spend a day alone on trains travelling to Leamington, I spent it with the wife enjoying ourselves in Styal and Didsbury.  If and when Farish announce something/anything I shall weigh up if I want it, till then I have a layout full of stuff and even more in boxes.

• Like 1