Graham Farish Spring 2021 new announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2021 at 13:26, Steven B said:

Lets hope that's a production sample of the factory weathered JIA - it looks stunning; Much better than Farish's normal efforts.

Steven B

I agree it’s better than the ‘general waft of brown’, and I suspect they did look like that for a very short period after launch, but the weathered ones (ie all of them) look absolutely nothing like that now. It’s a better effort than the OO gauge ones, but still misses the mark for me. 

The Imerys font is wrong too, disappointingly scaled down from the OO gauge ones.

23 hours ago, Steven B said:

There's been a recent batch of Scotrail branded blue/grey Mk1s (weathered, BSK & SK I think), and you can find Mk2F reasonably easily if all you want are BSO and FO.

However look for Mk1 SK and SO in maroon or Crimson/Cream, or a Mk2a or Mk2F TSO and you'd be disappointed. The last Mk2a TSO in any livery was three years ago (Highland green/cream), with no blue/grey one since 2015.

I couldn't help noticing from peoples' photos from the Farish stand at TINGS (and on the Bachmann website) is that a blue/grey MK2A BSO (374-680B) has been announced and is due in Jan/Feb, yet still no TSOs.

• Like 1

Finding any maroon Mk1s is difficult. I'm even willing to take "wrong region" running numbers, as I can't actually read them now.  From new stock, there are three only and I've managed to find another four different types 2nd hand from Hattons. Not sure how many will have NEM couplings.

That's it.

Still looking for SO and BSK.

I have some Staniers in BR maroon on the way, so they will fill in, but I want a separate rake of them anyway, to run the mid day stopping services.

The only full rake that I could make up from new would be suburban Mk1, which will probably go out of production as I get to plan that expense.

TGIF :drinks:

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2021 at 16:09, Brian-1c said:

Finding any maroon Mk1s is difficult. I'm even willing to take "wrong region" running numbers, as I can't actually read them now.  From new stock, there are three only and I've managed to find another four different types 2nd hand from Hattons. Not sure how many will have NEM couplings.

That's it.

Still looking for SO and BSK.

I have some Staniers in BR maroon on the way, so they will fill in, but I want a separate rake of them anyway, to run the mid day stopping services.

The only full rake that I could make up from new would be suburban Mk1, which will probably go out of production as I get to plan that expense.

TGIF :drinks:

Monk Bar have some Mk1 CKs in maroon.

http://www.monkbarmodelshop.co.uk/model-railways/n-gauge-model-railways/graham-farish-rolling-stock/41061-374-257c-br-mk1-ck-maroon.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought but given how big the market for N gauge is, is it not surprising that perhaps theres not as much about at present - all the model train suppliers are feeling the impact of the pandemic on production and global shipping, we've got food supply issues, staffing issues in many sectors, a chip shortage and now wholesale gas prices are going through the roof.

Perhaps mk1 coaches are not the most important thing in the world right now.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

6 hours ago, Scott B said:

Agree on all the points you raise Woodenhead, however, this dearth has being going on before Covid. As has already been mentioned, re-releases were almost annual not so long back.

Scott

I agree it does, but any efforts by Bachmann to expand the range in the past 18 months will have been tempered by the pandemic and what has followed; as a result we cannot expect a sudden turnaround with containers full of Mk1 and Mk2 coaches coming on a boat from China.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

And no one is saying that. This is nothing to do with the pandemic. Farish have always been incredibly slow to react to demand and re-run items; as well as their utterly bizarre stance of making the same number of every item, so they quickly sell out of standard class coaches and you have firsts and brakes left on the shelves. 

I’m sure this is driven by Kader, and the economics of British N, but this has been a problem with Farish products for years. People really need to stop using the pandemic as justification for absolutely everything. Let’s not pretend that Bachmann had containers of mk1s sat the dockside, but for that pesky pandemic. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, njee20 said:

People really need to stop using the pandemic as justification for absolutely everything. 

This I agree with wholeheartedly.  It is now being used as the standard go to excuse for poor service and delays by pretty much all businesses now and quite frankly its nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

And no one is saying that. This is nothing to do with the pandemic. Farish have always been incredibly slow to react to demand and re-run items; as well as their utterly bizarre stance of making the same number of every item, so they quickly sell out of standard class coaches and you have firsts and brakes left on the shelves. 

I’m sure this is driven by Kader, and the economics of British N, but this has been a problem with Farish products for years. People really need to stop using the pandemic as justification for absolutely everything. Let’s not pretend that Bachmann had containers of mk1s sat the dockside, but for that pesky pandemic. 

I'm not blaming the pandemic as the cause, just that how can we expect N gauge to suddenly be doing better than any other gauge or sector of manufacturing after 18 months of a pandemic.   If there wasn't a great deal of N gauge before it, how can we suddenly expect there to be lots after it, all the modelling manufacturers are feeling the pinch one way or another even if it just getting a shipping container from China.  when there is product to sell, it will be announced but just don't expect Christmas next week when it comes to N gauge, it is going to be a slow moving vessel for a scale that is a fraction of 4mm.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The problem these days is we live in an instant society. News arrives in an instant, except perhaps when you get stuck in traffic for no apparent reason. The likes of Amazon will deliver something in a matter of hours sometimes, and we expect fast food delivered pronto. Then there is the expectation that you are always at the end of the phone, and either answer it, reply to message, Whatsapp or whatever within seconds. Personnaly I'll be glad to get off this fast moving carousel called work soon, and slow things down a bit.

Railway modelling is a hobby, one that is more marathon than sprint, and isn't the stock answer, oh it is never finished?

Surely we can make do with a few compromises while waiting to complete an accurate rake of whatever, and do some other modelling in the meantime....

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 14:59, AndrueC said:

FYI: The diesels are two class 68s, two class 53s, one class 56 and a class 43. All different liveries. I was able to buy additional coaches for the HST to give it a rake of six (my next layout will let me add a seventh - don'cha just love N gauge?).

????? in N ???

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

????? in N ???

Sorry, that was a typo. Should have been two class 33s. Sorry to get you excited :)

One is a rather attractive 'Ashford' the other a somewhat drab version.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Drab is good! :)

All in the eye of the beholder:

Yay! 2D-001-022%20B-350x350.jpg

Yawn 2D-001-007%20B-1200x800.jpg

But I don't mind really. The Ashford pulls a Cargowaggon rake, the other one pulls some coal waggons :)

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

All in the eye of the beholder:

Yay! 2D-001-022%20B-350x350.jpg

Yawn 2D-001-007%20B-1200x800.jpg

But I don't mind really. The Ashford pulls a Cargowaggon rake, the other one pulls some coal waggons :)

I never liked the couple that ended up in NSE livery. They just looked a bit dumpy to carry it off to my eyes. Personal preference of course though.

They looked very good in triple grey and Dutch though I must say. My friend has a triple grey weathered one and it looks the business.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

It's Dapol - they struggle with sector liveries. I can't think of a version of Railfreight sector livery  they've got right on any loco (26, 33, 56, 58, 86).

Steven B

It's Dapol - they struggle with colours, no matter what livery. And then there's the font they use for numbers, though they do seem to get logos correct. Very odd. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, 5944 said:

It's Dapol - they struggle with colours, no matter what livery. And then there's the font they use for numbers, though they do seem to get logos correct. Very odd. 

I'm hoping they'll finally sort these issues with 50149, but I haven't seen any decent enough photos from TINGS to make a judgement yet.