Useful online map resource for tracing old routes.

Leicester Thumper

Hello folks, 

Not sure how many of you are aware of this map, but thought it worth a share for for those of us interested in disused and historical railways. 

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php The map is quite simple to use. It comes with  a toolbar along the top left which can add various layers including station locations, and industries. 

If you zoom in on the area you want, and click on the coloured lines on the map, a good number pop a little box up saying what line it is, and where possible, an internet resource is linked. However, this may not happen on some lines. 

I have found all of this very useful, as I moved house in 2019 and this has helped me discover the local railway history of Melton Mowbray and led me to buy some fantastic books to further my discovery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

That’s cool. Looks like they’ve  used google earth/maps kml/kmz files to create it. I started doing my local area many years ago, but it’s a huge job so kudos to them.

The only thing missing is dates, it is possible with the format, but it is even more work.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

Just now, Talltim said:

That’s cool. Looks like they’ve  used google earth/maps kml/kmz files to create it. I started doing my local area many years ago, but it’s a huge job so kudos to them.

The only thing missing is dates, it is possible with the format, but is even more work.

It definitely wasn't a one man project that's for sure! it seems may people have made contributions over the time it's been around. Nevertheless, it provides some good information, normally more than enough to facilitate planning a track walk, or helping to find resources to research the original routes.

• 2 years later...