Non Railway Modeller Needs Help, Please...

Hi all,

I am in the process of building a military diorama in the Armorama forum and, as part of this, I’m scratch building a segment of a fictitious farmhouse, Normandy, France circa 1944, in 1/72nd-1/76th (approx. 00/H0), image below for interest, :).

My question is this, is anyone aware of any sets of early 20th Century farmyard equipment, e.g. spades, forks, milk churns, carts, etc that I could use to populate the yard area, it’s equipment only, not figures using it, :scratchhead:.

Can anyone help please, :).

Thank you, and cheers, 

G

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Langley Models and Springside are two companies that immediately come to mind. I don't have any connection to either firm. There are several continental suppliers that have different sets, some of which might be suitable, but they are in 3.5mm/1ft (HO) scale, although with tools and equipment that may not be that obvious. Auhagen is one, Noch and Preiser are others. Preiser do do other scales including 4mm/1 ft. In this country Gaugemaster and Golden Valley stock continental ranges, among others. Given the current difficulties with small consignments from the EU, UK sources may be easier.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

A word of caution - different countries have different designs of tools - wheel-barrows are an example - brooms and rakes are others. If you can find some photos of French agricultural scenes you can identify the types of implements they used. Period is another thing - what looks old-fashioned in one area of the country may have been used much later in a more remote rural setting. I suspect that milk churns may well be another area where national differences occur - there were different styles in different parts of the UK initially, but they became more standardized, once milk production was organized into larger companies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil has the nub of the problem in one.

For example the milk churn issue where you can see French examples of milk churns here

https://fr.search.yahoo.com/search?p=bidon+lait+ancien&fr=yfp-t-s&ei=UTF-8&fp=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9mci55YWhvby5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAK4S4zv8DoPgEU_n0m4P6lXKQTpS5uQafLzdjw2wLeE0oA-GQYNmd8xOkSm-Lq9UQC2T2g-TU0E2_7ocRS94wIySwyPIYegUTNtqKnG_gCPee-8rV5IeFdtpfu2Po26Jlmddfflv89oACjzU8xT498WrDPQmSgir3_hZHHKoUKVg&_guc_consent_skip=1612388991

Many UK examples will be wrong for Normandy. 

Even tools such as rakes and forks are likely to look significantly different.

Further it is quite possible that many hand tools would still be made in wood rather than a metal head and wooden handle.

• Like 1

A big thank you to Airnimal, RJS1977, Phil, BMS, and Andy for all the advice, suggestions and/or links, they're all very much appreciated and will be explored.

It's nice to find a site where so many are willing to offer friendly advice to an outsider, :).

Thanks again all, and cheers,

G

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi 5050,

Thanks for the positive comment, very much appreciated, :).

The building is mainly constructed from card, plastic strip and DAS...and lashings of white glue, the stonework is scribed into the DAS.

I also made myself a jig today to make something that might pass for corrugated iron, almost certainly not accurate, but it's for only four sheets to the lean to roof (see images below).

More than happy to share more information if interested, but I don't want to bore anyone, :).

Thanks again, and cheers,

G

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Can I just say that the majority of doors open inwards. If it is a farmhouse of old, the French ones around here would have also had a fly-screen door on the outside of the main door that would open outwards - keeps those pesky flies out that would been attracted by all the cow-poo that the milking cows would have created.

When I were a lad, the farms here in rural France were ankle deep in the stuff - though the insides were usually spotless.

Do like your 'tôle ondulée' - do tell how you made. It looks exceedingly thin - bit of rust on that and it'll look really good!

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Philou,

I suspected the door issue would be spotted, :), it basically arose from a stupid error on my part, :scratchhead:.

This is my first ever attempt at a building, or more accurately, part of a building in this scale...normally I build armour in 1/35th scale and basically do scenery (example below of a river ford crossing)...and I miscalculated a few things, so either had the choice of the doors potentially having been blown off, or swinging outwards...maybe the wrong call, :).

It's been a bit of an experiment and learning curve with the many and varied mistakes I've made along the way, and there is a lot I will do differently next time, but am enjoying working in this scale.

I have added my basic colour to the 'wiggly tin' and will add lighter shades of orange to represent rust, image below.

I do like the little details you've added about such things as fly-screens, thank you. much appreciated, :).

Cheers, 

G

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Andy,

Firstly my apologies for not posting over the weekend as promised, :(.

Secondly, although I have only come back to the hobby these last 2yrs after a 40yr hiatus, my main influence comes from the 70/80s, in particular a gentleman called Ian Weekley who wrote for the Military Magazine.

Thirdly, below are a couple of images of the main steps.

1 - I create a template in either card or foamboard, cutting out doors and windows etc...this is where I slipped up, next time I will cut the apertures larger than needed.

2 - Coat the template with diluted white glue and coat with a thin layer of DAS, allowing 24hrs or so for it to dry.

3 - Scribe the DAS with a suitable tool, I have put an image of the tools I use below.

4 - Doors and Windows are old card, glass is bit's of clear scrap packaging, I also use bits of wood and scrap foil trays where appropriate.

5 - Paint and weather to your own preference.

If anyone has any questions, or advice, please feel free, :).

Once again, apologies for the delay, and thank you to everyone that helped answer my original question.

Cheers,

G

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Hi all,

I apologise if I'm out of order, but I just wanted to share a few progress pictures as you were all so kind in helping out with my original question, :).

I appreciate it's not railway modelling, but it's a similar scale, 1/72nd, to H0/00, which I think is 1/76th?

If I have overstepped the mark please let me know, I won't be offended, :).

Cheers,

G

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

58 minutes ago, G-man69 said:

Hi all,

I apologise if I'm out of order, but I just wanted to share a few progress pictures as you were all so kind in helping out with my original question, :).

I appreciate it's not railway modelling, but it's a similar scale, 1/72nd, to H0/00, which I think is 1/76th?

If I have overstepped the mark please let me know, I won't be offended, :).

Cheers,

G

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

Nothing of the sort.

You're an excellent landscape modeller, no matter what scale or subject!

Carry on the excellent work!

Alex

• Agree 3