Wibdenshaw. The Spanish years.

Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Gold

As some of you may know I am the current proud owner of Wibdenshaw, the masterpiece created by Kier Hardy of Hornsey Broadway fame.

I have been in possession for about 3 years now and in that time it has been undergoing refurbishment here in my abode in Spain, and I thought it might be an idea to keep people up to date on developments.

The main change is a conversion to DCC, after that, everything else is a minor detail! None of the work carried out implies any criticism or shortcomings on Kiers part, indeed, it is a testament to how well the layout has been constructed, that, after some 30 years on the exhibition circuit, it is still in as good a condition as it is. Apart from DCC conversion, a lot of the work is repairing/refreshing/refurbishing existing items on and around the layout. Some buildings etc. are getting a bit tatty round the edges and paint is fading so this is one area for attention, and some items have been superseded in the intervening years by superior products and will be completely replaced, and some I just fancy a change to suit my foibles and taste!

If anyone is interested I will give a run through of what has been done, current WIP and future plans, and hopefully get some assistance and pointers to help me along.

To whet your collective appetite I offer you these two videos from my YouTube channel, I apologise for the back ground clutter, but the garage is my current workshop in lieu of a proper man cave!;

https://studio.youtube.com/video/F-LHlyGuLis/edit

https://studio.youtube.com/video/3pWJQJb6UMU/edit

Mike.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great to hear this is in safe hands, I saw the update pics on the EMgauge 70s website earlier,  looks like you are cracking on! I was exhibiting at one of it's first shows in Cheltenham when Kier was still building it and was blown away by it even in an unfinished state. I think however it is not as old as 30 years as it was the early 2000s when I first saw it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Hi Mike, tried clicking on your YouTube links, but they are not functioning. Of course it may be my end, but could I ask you to check as I would certainly like to see Wibdenshaw again and to follow your progress.

Hallo

Same, link tries to make me install Youtube Studio.

What is the name of your channel?

es grüßt 

pc

• Agree 1

I remember seeing the MRJ article on Wibdenshaw, and have seen a couple of Youtube videos from exhibitions. The layout was very impressive, so I imagine you must be very happy with your purchase, did you purchase all of the stock? Would love to see a layout plan. Looking forward to your progress.

Best regards,

Tom D

• RMweb Premium

It was the MRJ article that first brought Wibdenshaw to my attention as well.  So pleased to see it live on and in good hands, it is still one of the very best layouts I have ever had the privilege to see first hand.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments .

YouTube has weirded out on me, and the above 2 videos aren't on my channel any more but only come up when I search"Your Videos", very strange, although it could well be due to the fact that my computer knowledge is some where south of zero too!

Anyway, links now made public, so they should be viewable, please let me know.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 37114 said:

Great to hear this is in safe hands, I saw the update pics on the EMgauge 70s website earlier,  looks like you are cracking on! I was exhibiting at one of it's first shows in Cheltenham when Kier was still building it and was blown away by it even in an unfinished state. I think however it is not as old as 30 years as it was the early 2000s when I first saw it.

Thanks for your interest.

Whilst I haven't interrogated Kier on the exact dates, the station roof is 25 years old and I added a few more developmental years!

Mike.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks for your comments .

YouTube has weirded out on me, and the above 2 videos aren't on my channel any more but only come up when I search"Your Videos", very strange, although it could well be due to the fact that my computer knowledge is some where south of zero too!

Anyway, links now made public, so they should be viewable, please let me know.

Mike.

Sadly no joy this morning, Mike. The normal process is to open the YouTube channel and simply click on share. That should allow you to copy the link and paste here. Providing you have permissions set to public, everyone should be able to view the videos. I’ve never seen ‘studio’ included in a YouTube address, so have no idea what impact that has.

• Informative/Useful 1

Cracked it!..........

Looking forward to watching now I’ve managed to crack the secret code......

Deleted ‘studio’ and ‘edit’ from the link code and somehow managed to sneak in past the armed guards.....:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

I shall be using "before" pictures from various sources and attempting not to infringe copyright, but I'm assuming pictures already seen on RMWeb are ok to be re-used, so to test the theory;

image.png.55a399921011b4480d1aecbfbab8abeb.png

Photo courtesy Paul Burkitt-Gray.

The current situation;

IMG_20210131_112232.jpg.e252394130e20061b934e733a753d1fe.jpg

OMG I hear you all cry, well it looks worse than it is, the reason for all the carnage is that the platforms were showing signs of age and distress, and the overall roof had been slightly damaged and covered with a bit of black gaffer tape, which in my innocence I removed and saw the extent of the damage.

IMG_20210128_195617.jpg.5626a83c4330e5ccd22e1950ccfef7e5.jpg

IMG_20210128_192732.jpg.14f0d983ef34bcaccb73bf6cca8bb295.jpgIMG_20210128_192957.jpg.d0e0c3b492b0c3c7b64f555f15d4d10a.jpg

Those who know me will be aware that I'm not averse to a bit of violence when it comes to railway modelling, and weapons of mass destruction are the order of the day when necessary. The platforms were originally covered with strips of (I think) gaffer tape which over time had contracted and left gaps, so my theory was to peel these up and repaint the underneath surfaces to reinstate the surfaces. It became immediately apparent that, on removal of said tape this wasn't going to work. The platform edges are Peco mouldings with the their platform infills, but due to these platforms not being as narrow as Peco had allowed for they had been spliced to fit widthwise and additional plastic sheet added to make up the difference, so repainting wasn't an option. Therefore out with the WOMD and the centres were removed with, variously, chisels saws, brute force, ignorance etc, all of which I have an abundance of.

Wood strips were laid down the centres to support the new platforms, the left hand one will be paving and the centre one tarmac, and this is the current state of play with the station boards.

Quite a bit of work has been done previously on various aspects of the layout over the past few years, so I'm afraid the thread might bounce about all over the place, so you'll all have to pay attention!

Mike.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tom D said:

I remember seeing the MRJ article on Wibdenshaw, and have seen a couple of Youtube videos from exhibitions. The layout was very impressive, so I imagine you must be very happy with your purchase, did you purchase all of the stock? Would love to see a layout plan. Looking forward to your progress.

Best regards,

Tom D

Regrettably not the superb stock, just the scenic boards, the stock and innovative fiddle yard live on with Hornsey Broadway, although a set of Presflos seen on the layout have recently come my way!

A layout plan is here; http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_wibdenshaw.html

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just found this thread Mike so one I’ll be watching from now on. 

like others your link to the videos won’t let me in. I get a message from google “oops there is a problem” so am grateful to Gordon S for his posting. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

IMG_20210204_122828.jpg.9910ef6bff2cea6f9a4361b7276987a8.jpg

A worrying outbreak of planning ahead has occurred, in case at some time in the future I need to build trackwork for the end of the boards, I have made a mini mimic board with the track alignments on, which I also did for the other end when it was set up.

It is parallel, just the phone came makes it look like Toblerone!

Mike.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am not familiar with this layout but it is obviously first class quality and I look forward to seeing it brought back to life. Also apart from the Blue Diesels it's just ideal, Northern Grime.

It appears that you are rebuilding it in a garage so you should be safe there, the first layout I built in Spain was in a Large Wooden Garden Shed and it had to be dismantled after a few years due to the intense heat build up in summer which ruined the card buildings and damaged the track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

IMG_20210204_122828.jpg.9910ef6bff2cea6f9a4361b7276987a8.jpg

A worrying outbreak of planning ahead has occurred, in case at some time in the future I need to build trackwork for the end of the boards, I have made a mini mimic board with the track alignments on, which I also did for the other end when it was set up.

It is parallel, just the phone came makes it look like Toblerone!

Mike.

Yep.

You said you’re a messy worker...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Wibdenshaw was fairly visible on RMweb when I first joined 12 years ago. Then and now, I failed to understand how the creator took the name Wibble, when his model demonstrated both vision and substantial modelling skills - hardly the hallmarks of a man of indecision! And having watched him rallying his troops on the marvellous Hornsey Broadway at Railex three years ago, I am glad he has now reverted to his real name. 

Taking over the acclaimed work of another is never easy, but I applaud your approach in repairing and updating to give Wibdenshaw a new purpose. Bon courage!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2021 at 11:22, richard.h said:

I am not familiar with this layout but it is obviously first class quality and I look forward to seeing it brought back to life. Also apart from the Blue Diesels it's just ideal, Northern Grime.

It appears that you are rebuilding it in a garage so you should be safe there, the first layout I built in Spain was in a Large Wooden Garden Shed and it had to be dismantled after a few years due to the intense heat build up in summer which ruined the card buildings and damaged the track.

Thanks for your comments.

Current work on the layout is being carried out in the garage, but that won't be it's permanent home as I can only set 3 boards maximum up at any one time, it's ultimate destination is a proper man cave/sotano which will have proper climate control, but it's non arrival is another story!

Mike.

• Thanks 1

This is a good thread, because it shows what is required to refurbish a older layout and what maintenance would be required as it ages. Keep it coming, along with all the gory bits where you need to dismantle and rebuild. And don`t be afraid to show where using more modern bits can improve a older layout.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

IMG_20210207_161901.jpg.a4644757e7aa0dd487393edc38215daf.jpg

A bit of reconstruction with wood strips fitted in the recesses ready to accept new platform tops.

The right hand platform has 12mm stripwood with Evergreen styrene strips on top as I am re-using the existing thicker Peco platform surface as a support for the new top, which is going to be paving slabs.

The left hand platform has 17mm wood inlaid as this will be a tarmac finish on top of 040" plastic sheet, so needs to be a slight bit higher.

I am doing different surfaces to give a bit of variety, but it depends on what it looks like as to whether it remains.

Mike.

• Like 13