Wibdenshaw. The Spanish years.

Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Gold

At this point I should be providing an update on the weekends work, but, despite having saved all the pictures to a folder, I now can't find the folder. I'm running Windoze 10 (a bloody nightmare to a computer numpty like me, why don't the idiots who develop these things realise that some of us don't have a degree in computer sciences and work on the KISS principle?) but where are the folders when I go into the picture file on the start up thingy?

Any help and assistance gratefully received.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

Have you done a search?

Griff

I'm sorry, you're going to have to hold my hand!

When I click on choose files it takes me to file upload, pictures, but they are all strewn all over the place and I can't see where to find the Wibdenshaw folder, where would I search for the folder?

Mike.

(computer thicket, give me a pen and paper any day)

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes it’s easy to accidentally grab a folder or file and drop it somewhere unexpected.

Click on ‘this pc’ folder (either on your desktop or in your tray ~ it’s the one with all the stuff on your computer) and in the top right hand corner there’s a search box (search this pc), you should be able to find you’re folder there by searching the folder name etc.

Hope that helps.

Griff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your efforts Griff.

I've done the above, and I get a "working on it" bar on which nothing happens, and underneath 2 options, libraries and custom. Clicking on libraries takes me to what I assume is the folder, but only about two thirds of the pictures are there.

At this rate it might be quicker to invite you all round to have a look when lockdown finishes!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mike - A get-out method I've used in the same situation is to search for anything of that file type (e.g. *.jpg) and then sort the results by date (as you'll probably remember when they were uploaded).  You should then be able to instantly find the ones you're looking for and the list will show their location.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

Sometimes it’s easy to accidentally grab a folder or file and drop it somewhere unexpected.

Click on ‘this pc’ folder (either on your desktop or in your tray ~ it’s the one with all the stuff on your computer) and in the top right hand corner there’s a search box (search this pc), you should be able to find you’re folder there by searching the folder name etc.

Hope that helps.

Griff

21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks for your efforts Griff.

I've done the above, and I get a "working on it" bar on which nothing happens, and underneath 2 options, libraries and custom. Clicking on libraries takes me to what I assume is the folder, but only about two thirds of the pictures are there.

At this rate it might be quicker to invite you all round to have a look when lockdown finishes!

Mike.

It would seem that the missing pictures are the ones I loaded this morning, which are obviously the ones I want.

Why doesn't it update itself in real time?

I despair.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I've resorted to doing it the long hard way!, aren't computers wonderful.

IMG_20210210_134031.jpg.2013971a6ce9b15f84979621fb4d66f2.jpg

Like the other station building, Kier thoughtfully screwed the parcels bay down through the platforms, with a modicum of Evo-Stik along the back wall, so removal wasn't too traumatic. I've also lifted the tape from the platform tops in readiness for re-surfacing. I'm undecided what to do with these platforms, I don't fancy sawing the centre out again so I need to give this a bit of thought, suggestions welcome.

IMG_20210209_115054.jpg.6f323761864638c58a3e0f9e59b98846.jpg

It's interesting what you find in the loft, no Herefordshire or Spanish livestock though!

IMG_20210210_131404.jpg.155cc4ff1fcb5593a26f991ba316974a.jpg

I'm thinking of equalising these platform lengths, and using the extended platform as an unloading bay for the mini PW area here, and perhaps having a Wickhams trolley hereabouts.

Mike.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've decided that the poor passengers on the bay platform needed some daylight to prevent the onset of S.A.D. Whilst it would probably have been easier to scratchbuild a complete new canopy, I'm trying to keep the "feel" of the original layout, and re-use as much of the original as possible, otherwise it would finish up being a new layout bearing no relevance to an as built condition.

IMG_20210212_141344.jpg.3ca78fd5c9c4b4b298b150f7596f15c5.jpg

First job is to cut out the slot in the middle of the existing canopy using brass tube as a spacer to keep things nice and neat, and a Zona razor saw, I find them to be of the best quality, for superior to others on the market.

IMG_20210212_200106.jpg.44f3809237eb1d9fb2a680b86abc1270.jpg

Using Evergreen clear sheet, which I find takes plastic cement better than Plastikard, I cut a strip to fit underneath, this holds the the flimsy canopy in alignment.

IMG_20210213_163852.jpg.54ccaee269325f15914b2ac7c9a22b8e.jpg

Another strip of glazing was cut and edged with 030" x 060" Evergreen sized lay in the slot in the canopy.

IMG_20210214_092546.jpg.21db22c2c6581ddd6707ff355676fddb.jpg

Tools and materials required, all self explanatory, the wooden block is a piece of 10mm stripwood to act as a spacer to keep the glazing bars parallel. I find the Tamiya super thin is ideal for this sort of thing.

IMG_20210214_171607.jpg.bb44f4dcc109b3b36494c77ea8fc6696.jpg

And a view of the completed canopy, I thought it would be in a bit of a state so I cut some wooden planks from veneer sheet to blank off broken glazing panels.

IMG_20210207_162418.jpg.edbc94343f7aea66622b7a42c01400ff.jpg

IMG_20210211_141539.jpg.b8f3f29c2c251971dacf6fcb466a4a0e.jpg

In a classic case of 1 step forwards 2 steps back. I had laid 17mm timber as a spacer in the top platform as a support for the new top, but, due to the slight undulations in the baseboard and the platform edging, the new top was too high in some places. This was unscrewed/chopped out and replaced with 13mm with 0.125" x 0.250" plastic strip, the strip will be glued to the underside of the new surface, which is now .080" and can be shaved off to level the platform top off.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I was sure that I had seen Wibdenshaw on the circuit many years ago, but a bit of googling makes me think that it was Holmeworth.

Either way, both layouts are absolutely inspiring and capture their location and era perfectly. 

It is very rarely that you see a layout and think 'this is exactly the sort of thing that I want', but the layouts of Kier Hardy seem to do that, for me at least. 

Enjoy the project. 

Stu

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've not died!!

Ongoing slow progress is being made.

A life rethink and a few other crises led me to re-evaluate what I was doing, and eventually "sod it and get on with it" won the day, so instead of awaiting the probable non existent day when a man cave becomes a viability I re-thought my options.

Whilst not having a full sized man cave, I do have an apartment upstairs which is theoretically kept for family and friends to visit, but, seeing as none of that is going on, with a bit of lateral thinking, a space for a train set magically appeared.

IMG_20211023_093249.jpg.2ed08861aacef2ade261c004610c08a1.jpg

Apologies for the ropey quality of the phone pic.

By splitting the layout in half there is one baseboard join with plain track across it, so, with a bit of creative timberwork, laying of some of the stash of yard lengths of track I now have a roundy round.

The end curves are by necessity a tad on the tight side, the inner radius being 850mm and the outer 1100mm, but, seeing as I run diesels, it's something I can get away with, although some of the larger wheelbase ones don't like the inner curves, so I have to be selective.

There are videos of the initial test runs but the computer says no as usual as they don't seem to be in a file format which is recognised, so I'm afraid you'll just have to use your imagination.

Mike.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

44 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've not died!!

Ongoing slow progress is being made.

A life rethink and a few other crises led me to re-evaluate what I was doing, and eventually "sod it and get on with it" won the day, so instead of awaiting the probable non existent day when a man cave becomes a viability I re-thought my options.

Whilst not having a full sized man cave, I do have an apartment upstairs which is theoretically kept for family and friends to visit, but, seeing as none of that is going on, with a bit of lateral thinking, a space for a train set magically appeared.

IMG_20211023_093249.jpg.2ed08861aacef2ade261c004610c08a1.jpg

Apologies for the ropey quality of the phone pic.

By splitting the layout in half there is one baseboard join with plain track across it, so, with a bit of creative timberwork, laying of some of the stash of yard lengths of track I now have a roundy round.

The end curves are by necessity a tad on the tight side, the inner radius being 850mm and the outer 1100mm, but, seeing as I run diesels, it's something I can get away with, although some of the larger wheelbase ones don't like the inner curves, so I have to be selective.

There are videos of the initial test runs but the computer says no as usual as they don't seem to be in a file format which is recognised, so I'm afraid you'll just have to use your imagination.

Mike.

Its coming on well Mike, as for the Videos, it more than likely has to go on to You Tube first, i.e. you then need a G-Mail E-Mail address to do that, once on there it can be down loaded on to R M Web, I do a Video most weeks for Bute Road, and did well over 100 of Seven Mills Sidings and Kings Moreton.

Keep the pics coming now mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Work on the layout is a bit swan like at the moment, as the above video shows, there is currently no great difference above the waterline, but underneath the boards is where the work is going on, The initial conversion from DC to DCC involved identifying the destination of the wires, replacing some H & M and Gibson point motors with servos and microswitches and a quick lash up to get power to all trackwork to test the theory of wiring one board at a time. I am now in the process of replacing the lash up wiring with correct feeds to give 4 power districts, replacing the remaining point motors with servos, the microswitches with Gaugemaster DCC80's, and colour coding and sizing the wiring via screw in terminal blocks. I won't post any pictures, as being a plumber by trade the nightmares will keep you awake tonight!

Off to blighty on wednesday for a couple of weeks so postings will return to their more somnambulant nature for a while, but thanks for your continued interest.

Mike.

• Like 6