Warphampton - N Gauge Mainline Station 1980 something

warpy

Evening all.

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to showcase Warphampton on the N Gauge Forum virtual exhibition (see https://ngfshow21.weebly.com/). It was never intended to be an exhibition layout so I was delighted to get the chance for others to see it running, albeit if only virtually.

A big thanks to the organisers of the virtual show as it was a great collection of layouts, interviews and guides. Also, thank you to any members here who viewed it, gave me a thumbs up or comment etc. Really appreciated. 

Having spent a few hours preparing the video I thought I'd also share a copy here. I've actually uploaded a slightly reworked version with no background music allowing you to hear the commentary more. The scenic shots were also just a couple of seconds longer as I realised the previous edit didn't really allow you the time to view each scene. 

I hope you enjoy watching it as I certainly enjoyed filming it. It was filmed a couple of months ago so I'd like to do another one soon with the new rolling stock recently acquired as hopefully that adds to the variety. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Feels like quite a productive week for Warphampton. Preordered a Revolution 59 in original Yeoman livery as I’m sure I remember occasionally seeing those around when stood on stations in the late 80s. Anyway it fits my era and given I’m reasonably fluid on region and it’s something different for my fleet decided to go for it given a very competitive early bird price. 

Then spent some time looking around for something for it to pull. Very limited choice in RTR Yeoman livery so I’m braving my first kit and have ordered some of the NGS PTA wagons. Excited to start building them as a project before the 59 arrives. Have to say though the size of the transfers look like they will slowly drive me insane - see photo with UK penny for scale - makes you realise the work that goes into RTR!

Also finally got around to fitting some Dapol easi-shunt magnetic couplers to a couple of 24s and a rake of coaches.  Had these for about 6 years I think, as originally Warphampton was designed for some loco hauled trains to terminate in the bays. Replacements would then come from the MPD but I wanted something reasonably automated. Up till now I’ve never felt like l had the spare locos available so the couplers sat in their boxes but finally decided to try them. A little rejigging of the other rakes freed one loco up. 

Now means I’ve got one formation to run into the bays and the spare loco from the MPD to form the return leg. Along with the DMUs this really adds to the operational enjoyment of the layout when I’m not just watching trains go by. 

I have to say I’m pretty impressed with the Dapol system. Fortunately the stock had NEM pockets so the couplers swapped in very easily but they seem to work pretty effectively. It’s a shame the magnets are visible but weathering helps. With a bit of practise the uncoupling hand of God has disappeared and spent a fun hour this afternoon running trains on two loops whilst practising the the loco hauled terminating service back and forth on the other. 

4BB149C9-45CC-49FF-9E7C-FC64D0D70815.jpeg

53A0CC68-FB39-449C-B6BD-69108DB608D2.jpeg

1ACC9A2F-E00A-49A0-A29E-8E87308F6FC8.jpeg

4E5B97CA-3924-44C9-AD7D-8B9F4EE17B44.jpeg

Edited by warpy
  • Like 1

Enjoyed a good running session over the weekend with all the track and stock behaving well. 

Decided to shoot some new footage which includes some of the recent purchases. 

I hope a few of you might enjoy viewing it over a cup of tea or something. Sorry for the shaky closeup shots. I need to find a mini tripod that can stand on the scenery without damaging it  

Also in two minds as to whether music adds anything.left it off for now but the change in noise from scene is a bit noticeable. Currently I’ve only got the default windows video editing software which doesn’t offer any transitions to reduce the impact of this. Alternative suggestions welcomed for those with more experience. 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Apologies all for the slightly boastful post but delighted to have made it into print for the first time, with Warphampton appearing in this month’s Railway Modeller (Dec 21). 

@markwilson thanks for the brilliant photos that really bring the layout to life. 

It’s 10 years since I first started planning Warphampton (longer with procrastination) and I never really thought I’d finish it and see it in print back then.

I chose RM to submit to as it was my read of choice when I was a teen in the 80s/90s. I still kept the RM edition with the layout that inspired me to get into n gauge all those years ago - Maybury, July 89. Thanks Dave and I hope you don’t mind I pinched so much of your design. 

445116FC-529D-4CB7-AD0E-155BA4DCD824.jpeg

3248D862-DEAC-4A00-A0E2-2F61985122B2.jpeg

Edited by warpy
Edit text & date correction
  • Like 10

• 3 months later...

Having placed an order for the RevolutioN class 59 I purchased 10 of the NGS PTA kits a few months ago to provide a suitable train. It was my first kit since attempting basic Airfix Spitfires when I was a kid - and they turned out terribly. 

Finally plucked up courage to start the first batch of 5 a few weeks ago. It’s taken a long time to build them and the transfers were probably 2 hours of hair pulling stress per wagon. My first attempt was pretty rubbish but by the 5th one I’m pretty happy with the result given my inexperience of kit building and painting. Hopefully weathering will cover the poor paintwork and transfer mistakes on the first couple. 

Went for the earlier Yeoman livery on the wagons as it simplified the transfers and matched the whiter paint better. I couldn’t find an offwhite in an aerosol as I don’t have an airbrush. However looked at Paul Bartlett’s great online photo library I think this livery was still in use by the time the class 59 arrived. 

I’ve taken them for their first run on the layout with the first photos. I think with a bit of weathering and a suitable load they’ll look even better. The load might just provide a fraction more weight to improve the running. 

Now for the second five and looking forward to the Class 59 arrival. 

8DD0CFB4-8F23-4EE0-A7B2-FA8A8C5178F2.jpeg

F1731C79-86F0-4ABF-9768-82A0D270922E.jpeg

52F29066-C579-4DE4-9D68-F9C084F05B2B.jpeg

• Like 4