Class WD Austerity Hunslet 0-6-0ST Cab Details and colours

Peter Beckett

• RMweb Premium

I am detailing the cab of the above (Hornby model R2740) and wondering if there are any photos of internal layout and colours. I am converting it to a NCB unit for my Marsden Colliery and accept that the cab colours may be not as per original. Colours for any preserved loco's will be acceptable,

Thanks

Peter 

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a painting diagram for the Austerity but this is for the Hunslet 16" 0-6-0ST.

1458837092_ScreenShot2021-02-04at07_39_01.png.52ef7cce65e1a4ea3833d73ea9646cdf.png

The top colour is variously described on different diagrams as "light stone" or "buff" but the general principles are the same for all, no reason why the Austerity should have been any different. How long it wuld have stayed clean is another matter.

• Thanks 1

Given the sheer bloody mindedness of individual colliery managers and their engineers I think you are pretty safe with " rule one".

I have used a light buff on all mine but would love to hear from anyone involved in the restoration of an NCB loco who has removed "original" paint.

• Thanks 1

Have a look on YouTube for the Austerity Steam Locomotives by Gandy Dancer Productions. Parts 1&2. Lots of close up detail both historic and preserved. In part 2 he gets in the cab of a preserved NCB loco. All your questions answered.

The trick of getting a pit loco right is to look for the modifications made to individual engines with regards to steps, handrails and repairs. Have fun, but be warned, they are addictive.

Hunslets are like beer. A boy can't just have the one!

Edited by doilum

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Peter Beckett said:

Thanks for that .

Do you know what was the colours of the reversing lever and handbrake column?

Peter

HE paint diagrams show the LH side of the loco so no clue as to what colour the reach rod was originally. Red or body colour is normal though - certainly painted, never left bright.

• Thanks 1

The great thing about these threads is that it encourages you to take a fresh look at something you took for granted. My guess is that recently restored examples tend to go back to the above drawing because it came from Hunslet. Period colour photographs of the cab interior are rare. There are a couple of shots in Gordon Edgar's book on the Austerity that suggest my original comment wasn't far off.

Diana which went through the area workshop at Allerton Bywater circa 1970 has been finished in red body colour up to the waistline.

The "no name, no number" example from Peckfield appears to be a straw colour to floor level. And to confuse/confirm things even more, I have a 1963 photo of a 1917 Peckett that has just returned from a full Allerton Bywater rebuild that is black below the waistline and straw above.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, doilum said:

Have a look on YouTube for the Austerity Steam Locomotives by Gandy Dancer Productions. Parts 1&2. Lots of close up detail both historic and preserved. In part 2 he gets in the cab of a preserved NCB loco. All your questions answered.

What a smashing 4 videos. My wife and I visited Embsay in 1998 as its just up the road from Nelson, where I was born, but were more interested in the steam trip than the actual locos but I do remember spending a bit at the shop there.

Edited by Peter Beckett